PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank

Postby angryfan04 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Right - SMU wins today - what a mess - all the Jank haters are sad
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:12 pm

Cool win. We run the sun belt. Btw jank makes triple what their coach makes. We should win.
Last edited by mtrout on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:16 pm

angryfan04 wrote:Right - SMU wins today - what a mess - all the Jank haters are sad

Not me, I'm still upset we lost the 2OT game to Georgia. We had the game won and gave it away. I hope we make the NCAA tournament (not going to happen) or NIT (most likely not going to happen) but even if we win 20 games and miss the postseason I will be happy we at least moved the program closer to contention than the last couple of seasons. Regardless of who is coaching I want to win and win big. I am still in favor of getting Pitino but I know that won't happen.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:18 pm

skyscraper wrote:lol. The only way fans can show they're fed up is to stay at home the rest of the season.
Jank is a joke, but we still have to endure another two and a half months of this mess.

I don't know you so I'm not sure how to react to your post. You might be a premium seat holder who feels he/she got raped by the reseat and if so, I feel your pain, but I think most who share your feelings have already checked out as evidenced by attendance at Moody these days. Thank goodness for the 1500. It doesn't help any program's recruiting if all you have is fair weather fans. Support this team or don't. That's your choice, but this team deserves better support/attendance than they are currently getting.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:30 pm

mtrout wrote:Cool win. We run the sun belt. Btw jank makes triple what their coach makes. We should win.

So only the higher paid coach's team or a school from a higher rated conference should win? If that's the case, there are a lot of highly paid P5 coaches who should maybe be out of work soon. Maybe we can get Coach Calipari after Kentucky lets him go because HE lost to Evansville, a team that even Jank could beat?

Don't disrespect Georgia State. That team has gone to the NCAA Tourney 3 of the last 5 years and beat # 3 seed Baylor as a # 14 seed in 2015. Ga State has a pretty respectable bball history. Granted, they got smoked the last 2 years by # 2 seed Cincy and # 3 seed Houston, but that's not exactly Cupcake U. we beat tonight.
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 pm

They’re #98 on Sagarin and we beat them in Moody. Vegas had it right.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby The Falcon » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:48 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mtrout wrote:Cool win. We run the sun belt. Btw jank makes triple what their coach makes. We should win.

Don't disrespect Georgia State. That team has gone to the NCAA Tourney 3 of the last 5 years and beat # 3 seed Baylor as a # 14 seed in 2015. Ga State has a pretty respectable bball history. Granted, they got smoked the last 2 years by # 2 seed Cincy and # 3 seed Houston, but that's not exactly Cupcake U. we beat tonight.

Georgia State played Duke well and led them at half. They also played a respectable
game with Georgetown and only lost by 9. Coming into Moody they had won 7 in a row.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:14 am

I think Georgia State is better than Georgia. All the more reason the Georgia loss still stings.
mustangxc

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:31 am

The Falcon wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Georgia State played Duke well and led them at half. They also played a respectable
game with Georgetown and only lost by 9. Coming into Moody they had won 7 in a row.

Georgia St is decent but let’s not throw out misinformation. They were not leading Duke at the half. It was a close game at the half but Duke led and Duke cruised in the second half. Also, the schools they beat in their seven game winning streak - Cal Baptist, Prairie View, Dartmouth, Charlotte, Mercer, Texas St and UTA.

Again, this is a better win than most of our others but a home win against a 100+ ranked NET school would not be considered a “good win” by the NCAA committee.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:31 am

UT Arlington did beat Tulsa so I guess the silver lining is that at least we're not stuck with Frank Haith.
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Bad news for all the Jankovich haters, Fran Fraschilla just tweeted great things about Jankovich and what he has done for SMU. It's not a great look to fire a guy who is being praised by prominent members of the basketball media. Like him or hate him, he is the most successful basketball coach SMU has had since Dave Bliss minus the Larry Brown years. Like I've said, unless we're going to have the courage to bring in a Rick Pitino who would bring instant Top 25 credibility, I don't necessarily see the point in throwing away money that we don't really have to throw away.
mustangxc

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:14 pm

SMU has already paid him close to $10 million so why not let him finish out his contract for a few more?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonySnob » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:47 pm

It’ll all depend on what David Miller wants to do.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby skyscraper » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:11 pm

PonySnob wrote:It’ll all depend on what David Miller wants to do.

Yup. We're at his mercy... for better or worse.
skyscraper

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:06 pm

skyscraper wrote:
PonySnob wrote:It’ll all depend on what David Miller wants to do.

Yup. We're at his mercy... for better or worse.

That’s the same David Miller who just contributed $50M to SMU so IMO he deserves nothing but praise.

Still hope tank is gone this year, but who knows. For now, I’ll stick with my 18-14 non-NIT prediction, with tankovich returning next season.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball