PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank

Postby skyscraper » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:28 pm

I appreciate him spending money on the program, for sure. He has done a lot of good for bball and throughout the school.
But there's a flip side to having one person footing the bill for the program -- reduced flexibility and extreme dependence.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:37 pm

skyscraper wrote:I appreciate him spending money on the program, for sure. He has done a lot of good for bball and throughout the school.
But there's a flip side to having one person footing the bill for the program -- reduced flexibility and extreme dependence.

Of course there is a solution to that.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:52 pm

mrydel wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I appreciate him spending money on the program, for sure. He has done a lot of good for bball and throughout the school.

Of course there is a solution to that.
If they asked me to get on my hands and knees and buff out his name on the floor I would do it.
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Be nice. David and I were classmates. I appreciate all he has done and have the utmost confidence in his support going forward, in whatever manner he chooses.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony81 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:59 pm

David Miller saved SMU basketball and made possible the facilities upgrade, LB funding, and now gives the school the ability to move past Jank to another coach.

Without him we have Matt Doherty level coaching and if we get lucky hire an up and comer that ups and leaves the minute they get good.

DM brings a wallet, wonderful guidance and more importantly patience to build the SMU brand.

Without him we are Tulane on a good day.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:24 pm

mrydel wrote:Be nice. David and I were classmates. I appreciate all he has done and have the utmost confidence in his support going forward, in whatever manner he chooses.
I was serious
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:12 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:Be nice. David and I were classmates. I appreciate all he has done and have the utmost confidence in his support going forward, in whatever manner he chooses.
I was serious

You most likely meant polish it.... not erase it. I got that.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonySnob » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:18 pm

He’s not happy
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:48 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:
I was serious

You most likely meant polish it.... not erase it. I got that.
When you have your car buffed out does the color disappear haha.
David is the man
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:21 pm

PonySnob wrote:He’s not happy

Dear Dave:

We’re not happy until your not happy.

Regards,

Ponyfans
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:18 pm

The question is whether those calling the shots are going to be happy with NIT appearances year after year, if that is where we are with this hoops program. I think my Illinois State neighbor wishes they still had Jank and that Nic had never left because they at least got to the NIT from what was a one bid league. While I would love to see our guys qualify for the NCAA Tourney and actually win a game (more than Coach Brown ever accomplished), at this point I just want our guys to at least qualify for the NIT this year. I remember thinking when Larry's team made it to the NIT finals how cool it would be for Coach Brown to have won NIT, NCAA and NBA titles
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:11 pm

NIT is not the end goal but for our fans to look down on it considering we have a total of 12 NCAA tournament appearances and 3 NIT appearances in close to 100 seasons of play is just not in tune with reality. Even some great basketball programs have had strings of 6-7 NIT appearances in an 8 year period.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:40 pm

68 teams make the NCAA tourney. Probably the same or more make the NIT. Making one of them each year with a generous portion being the dance shouldn’t be too much to ask. Three consecutive years with neither IS too much to ask.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:58 pm

32 teams make the NIT in men's basketball. About half the field of the NCAA tournament and half the NIT is given automatically to conference tournament/regular season champions. While consistently being one of the Top 50 programs is not too big of an ask, it is if your school has sucked throughout 99% of its existence as is the case for SMU basketball and football.

We can and should do much better than we have in the past but to look down on the NIT considering our little past success is to not be grounded about who we are as a program.
mustangxc

Postby The Falcon » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:02 am

Our last NIT experience was very exciting and one of the high points in recent SMU basketball history.
It provided and extension of our season with 3 more home games at Moody against quality
opponents; an explosion of excitement when Nic hit a corner 3 beating a good Cal team; and
two games at Madison Square Garden; and coming within a whisker of winning the NIT.
That was one of my favorite memories of Mustang basketball. You can't beat hearing Sinatra
singing New York, New York over the Moody sound system as the Mustangs were on there way
to the Big Apple.
The Falcon
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball