PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank

Postby skyscraper » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:11 pm

A lot of loser attitudes on here.
Because of Larry and DM's generous funding, we have seen this program can be a winner. The formula is there and we are in the right conference.
For us to just want to make the NIT every other year or so is pathetic.
The NIT in 2014 was exciting because the program was on the way up and everyone watching knew bigger and better things were ahead and going to the NIT was PART of the journey -- not the ultimate destination.
Jank's scheduling and goal setting make it clear he will be happy to slide into the NIT. This OOC schedule will get us laughed out of the committee room.
I think we can do better. I think our players (some of whom are talented and could grow with actual coaching) can do better with a different coach. I think our fans and students deserve a coach who acts like he wants to be here and engages with them.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:33 pm

skyscraper wrote:A lot of loser attitudes on here.
Because of Larry and DM's generous funding, we have seen this program can be a winner. The formula is there and we are in the right conference.
The NIT in 2014 was exciting because the program was on the way up and everyone watching knew bigger and better things were ahead and going to the NIT was PART of the journey -- not the ultimate destination.
Jank's scheduling and goal setting make it clear he will be happy to slide into the NIT. This OOC schedule will get us laughed out of the committee room.
I think we can do better. I think our players (some of whom are talented and could grow with actual coaching) can do better with a different coach. I think our fans and students deserve a coach who acts like he wants to be here and engages with them.

Who said they were happy with "just NIT appearances every other year"? The comment I made is that IF our guys don't qualify for the NCAA THIS YEAR, I would at least hope for the NIT. Obviously our non-conference schedule is not going to impress the committee, so I assume we either have to win the AAC Tourney or at least finish a close 2nd in the regular season to have any hope of the NCAA Tourney this year. At this point, I don't see that happening but if all of our best players come back next year and then with the addition of McNeill this team could be much better next year. If a scholarship or two are freed up by transfers out, the bench might even be strengthened so who knows what this program might be able to accomplish these next 2 seasons.

I know you are among those who believe there is no way Jank is going to be able to rebuild this program to anywhere near what Larry Brown had when he left. I'm in the camp that says I hope he can, but if he's not the guy, I trust those in charge or those with enough influence will recognize that in time to at least build/maintain a program that is post-season worthy every year. I recall Matt Doherty envisioning SMU as the "Duke of Dallas" and I love that concept, but obviously Doherty was not the coach who could accomplish that lofty goal. Time will teall whether SMU can find that guy in my lifetime.
Charleston Pony

Postby The Falcon » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
skyscraper wrote:A lot of loser attitudes on here.

Who said they were happy with "just NIT appearances every other year"? The comment I made is that IF our guys don't qualify for the NCAA THIS YEAR, I would at least hope for the NIT. Obviously our non-conference schedule is not going to impress the committee, so I assume we either have to win the AAC Tourney or at least finish a close 2nd in the regular season to have any hope of the NCAA Tourney this year. At this point, I don't see that happening but if all of our best players come back next year and then with the addition of McNeill this team could be much better next year. If a scholarship or two are freed up by transfers out, the bench might even be strengthened so who knows what this program might be able to accomplish these next 2 seasons.

I know you are among those who believe there is no way Jank is going to be able to rebuild this program to anywhere near what Larry Brown had when he left. I'm in the camp that says I hope he can, but if he's not the guy, I trust those in charge or those with enough influence will recognize that in time to at least build/maintain a program that is post-season worthy every year. I recall Matt Doherty envisioning SMU as the "Duke of Dallas" and I love that concept, but obviously Doherty was not the coach who could accomplish that lofty goal. Time will teall whether SMU can find that guy in my lifetime.

We all want to be in the Big Dance every year; but having said that I would agree with everything you said CP.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:13 pm

Ditto CP! I think we'd all love to win the national championship every year. At the same time we have to be realistic. As long as we are moving up and not down I am at peace. We definitely took steps back each of the last two seasons. Part of it was thanks to Jankovich but there is no denying Larry Brown played a big part in that too. Jankovich preferred to whine about it rather than go out and recruit elite talent, but he finally signed some good players this past offseason. I'd like to see him run off 2-3 players on the current roster and add another couple players like Davis, Jolly, McNeill and then we'd really have something. I will say this, everyone here salivates over Nic Moore and yet does not trust his input that Jankovich will get us where we want to be. I haven't heard a single player for that matter bad mouth Jankovich ever. While I would have fired him in the offseason, I do value the opinion of our players who got us to 2 NCAA tournaments and an NIT final. Funny how all these keyboard warriors keep whining incessantly rather than cut a check to have him replaced. Money talks. If the money comes so easily I truly don't understand what the holdup is. If not then have an ounce of realism.
mustangxc

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Pony81 wrote:David Miller saved SMU basketball and made possible the facilities upgrade, LB funding, and now gives the school the ability to move past Jank to another coach.

Without him we have Matt Doherty level coaching and if we get lucky hire an up and comer that ups and leaves the minute they get good.

DM brings a wallet, wonderful guidance and more importantly patience to build the SMU brand.

Without him we are Tulane on a good day.

Well spoken and 100 % correct !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:34 pm

Thank you, Coach Jankovich, for always representing SMU with class and dignity and for treating pom and cheer with respect.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball