PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Vandy Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Vandy Thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:32 pm

H-E-B Mustang wrote:That was an impressive come back. Showed a lot of poise. Hit critical shots, including free throws. Got to be optimistic about this team.

Just a little concerned about the number of minutes Jolly has been playing. Once again he missed some important FTs late and once again he played more minutes than anyone else.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:39 pm

Impressive win!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:40 pm

I can't believe what I just witnessed.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:43 pm

I admit I left the room when we were down 15...left the TV and game on but listened. I couldn't bear watching. Hearing the comeback I returned to see the last minutes of regulation and the OT.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Mustangsabu » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:45 pm

That was a rollercoaster. For a while in the second half we couldn’t buy a basket and that Vandy kid went 8-11 on 3s....

Our kids kept believing and it paid off. What a great game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:46 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
H-E-B Mustang wrote:That was an impressive come back. Showed a lot of poise. Hit critical shots, including free throws. Got to be optimistic about this team.

Just a little concerned about the number of minutes Jolly has been playing. Once again he missed some important FTs late and once again he played more minutes than anyone else.

I share your concern about Jolly. He played 42 minutes tonight. His FT percentage is about 70. He seems to be our "go-to" guy when we need a bucket.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Game strategy: Shoot 3, steal the inbound, miss the layup, get the rebound, pass outside, make the 3, tie the game, go to OT, shoot 100% (I think?). Works every time.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 pm

It's a fine strategy, haha
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:14 am

Huge win! Not that beating Vanderbilt is a big deal but a loss would have been devastating. The comeback was pretty special.
mustangxc

Postby shadowman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:49 am

This team is coming together,

NIce to see Ethan get off to the great start and carry us through the first half, we need him to come on like that in conference play.

Great to get a win with Mike only scoring single digits and fouling out.

IMPORTANT CONFERENCE UPDATE!!

Georgia goes into Memphis and beats them (a team we should have beat) and South Florida spanks UCONN after we whipped them.

Tulane beats Cincy.

We should have one of the top teams in the conference.

Time to show it!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:29 am

Bandoumel is really coming on. Hitting 3s and strong drives to the bucket. He's got some legitimate talent that could blossom over the next 3 years
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:04 am

Stallion wrote:Bandoumel is really coming on. Hitting 3s and strong drives to the bucket. He's got some legitimate talent that could blossom over the next 3 years

I was thinking the same thing. Jank talked about how he and Ray have looked really good in practice recently and Bandoumel has had 2 really good games back to back. Not only did he make all his shots last night but more impressive, he dished out 6 assists vs only 1 turnover. With Mike in foul trouble early, Bandoumel became the "go to" guy off the bench and played 28 minutes. Feeling better about this team knowing that Hunt, Davis, McNeil and Bandoumel are only sophs. Vandy didn't match up well with Chargois which probably limited Ray's minutes, but he's another player I'm hoping will develop into a solid bench player.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Band has been really strong the last two games.

We made that comeback for the most part with Davis on the bench with 4 fouls. Jank couldn't play both him at Mike for the risk of both fouling out. He took a major gamble by benching Davis for Band. And Band paid off.

How about Mike - frustrated with foul trouble the whole game, not shooting much, and he nails THAT three? Hell of a job.

Start the OT again with Davis on the bench until Mike fouled out. Great job by Jank protecting the players.

I'm really interested in what we do defensively moving forward. We have great size on the perimeter, but cannot stay with players off the dribble. When we play bad teams that can't dribble penetrate, we shut them down because they can't get shots off against our length in man defense.

Teams that have players that drive well, we get beat on the perimeter, dive in to help, and give up wide open threes. We are a horrible man-to-man defensive team against good teams that can dribble and shoot. This showed up against Georgetown, Georgia, and again last night.

Switching to the 2-3 zone changed the game, because we had a helper in the lane on drives rather than pulling players in from the wings to help. This allowed our length to defend the perimeter shot. I'm hoping that we switch to zone earlier against higher quality teams now that we should recognize the deficiency.

BTW - I also think there is a correlation with our free throw shooting. The games we have struggled free throw shooting I think is because we are having to work so [deleted] man-to-man defense, the legs are gone and we struggle to hit free throws. Our shooting improved after we switched to zone last night. And of course Davis hit all his FT down the stretch because he got rested during the game. Did anyone else notice Jank telling Davis at the end of the game that he needed to take the ball and shoot the foul shots? Lesson learned from Georgia.

Anyway, great performance, much better play, and IMHO coaching adjustments helped us win that game compared to the Georgia and Georgetown games.
JasonB

Postby geezerdonk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:36 pm

Vanderbilt is an awful basketball team - might not win a single conference game this year.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:04 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Vanderbilt is an awful basketball team - might not win a single conference game this year.

They are a lower level SEC team, but not "awful" and I think they will win some games against the bottom half of the SEC this year. They've got more talent than they had last year and so do we.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball