PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Munjoma signs Homegrown Contract with FC Dallas

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Munjoma signs Homegrown Contract with FC Dallas

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:23 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Munjoma Signs Homegrown Contract With FC Dallas

DALLAS (SMU) -- Eddie Munjoma is staying home, as the McKinney, Texas, native has signed a homegrown contract with FC Dallas, it was announced by the club on Monday.

Munjoma becomes FC Dallas' league-leading 27th homegrown player, and joins an FC Dallas side managed by former SMU great, Luchi Gonzalez. The All-American joins the side after 63 starts on the Hilltop, scoring 12 goals and adding seven assists in 2019 on his way to consensus All-American honors.

"Eddie brings a lot of things," Gonzalez said. "He's not just a talent on the field, he's a profile in terms of family, communications, work ethic, mentality. He just graduated so we're very proud of that. It's very important for us that those players pursue education opportunities. And then on the field, he's grown into a leader at SMU—a program that's close to us.

The wingback helped anchor a defense that allowed the 16th fewest goals in Division I soccer this past season, and was a leader on a team that saw SMU make a run to the NCAA Elite Eight, where they fell to No. 1 Virginia. Munjoma joined the FC Dallas Academy in 2011 and likely would've been a Top 5 pick in last week's MLS Super Draft had he opted to enter the draft, but instead he'll stay home with the club he grew up loving.

"It feels amazing coming back to the club where I grew as a player and grew as a man," Munjoma said. "Obviously, I wanted to wait to finish school and get an education but it's an exciting homecoming and I'm looking forward to getting started."

Munjoma joins Garrett McLaughlin, who was drafted No. 8 overall in the draft by the Houston Dynamo, as two Mustangs heading to the MLS in 2020. Those two join Michael Nelson (Houston) and Emil Cuello (LA Galaxy) as Mustangs in the MLS.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports