PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game 16 SMU vs UH

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Game 16 SMU vs UH

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 pm

This loss just means our next 2 games at Moody are absolutely must win games
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:This loss just means our next 2 games at Moody are absolutely must win games

Will there any anybody there to see them?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mtrout » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Must win? How so? For the NIT?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:10 pm

This team lives and dies by the three so we aren't going to win many games hitting 6-25 threes
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:13 pm

Coogs made the FTs down the stretch with the mid-single digit lead.

At Moody this will be a crazy game.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:17 pm

Jolly 7 for 33 (21%) in last 3 games-he contributes in other ways but he's going to have to adjust his game against better competition because although he is strong to the basket for a Guard the better teams on our schedule just swat his drives away. Needs to start driving and dishing. This is his first year at this level-let's see if he can modify his game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm

mtrout wrote:Must win? How so? For the NIT?

Top 5 teams in the AAC now each have one loss and we have two. Can't lose at Moody and hope to have any chance of competing for top 4 finish and 1st round AAC tourney bye. Losing at Houston is not exactly a bad loss. One of the best, if not the best team in our league, WSU, lost by double digits against a 3 loss Temple team tonight. Road wins are tough to come by so we have to win at home to have any hope of a strong finish to this season. And yes, if we can't win the AAC Tourney for an auto bid, we may have to finish top 5 in the regular season or win at least 2 of the 4 remaining games vs WSU, Houston & Memphis to even play in the NIT this year. Bottom line is that we can't afford to lose to either Temple or ECU at Moody if these guys want to be playing in a post season tourney.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 pm

Stallion wrote:Jolly 7 for 33 (21%) in last 3 games-he contributes in other ways but he's going to have to adjust his game against better competition because although he is strong to the basket for a Guard the better teams on our schedule just swat his drives away. Needs to start driving and dishing. This is his first year at this level-let's see if he can modify his game

Jolly was running the point along with C.J. before Davis became eligible and it seems he's been "off" since switching to the 2 guard position. I think Jank plays him too many minutes but agree he's been forcing things especially in conference play.
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 am

This team is so much less than the sum of its parts. We have a few good players. They are poorly coached. The fish rots from the head. Jank is poison. Jank is death.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am

What has happened to Smith IV? I think I read he had been injured but he hasn't played in quite some time. He struck me as another athletic guard with some length...the kind of guy that could have given us some minutes in a game like last night's.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:02 am

why wait. We've already missed the tournament. Fire Jank
Pony ^

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:25 pm

no big insight by me, but I will stand by my prediction.

at the beginning of the year, looking at our schedule, I said SMU would go 9-9 in a sub-average AAC conference and given our cupcake OOC schedule, end the regular season with either 18 or 19 wins.

They would then travel to FW and play a similar .500 team in the first round of the conference tourney. Being so close to Dallas, SMU will probably be slight favorites to win their opening round tourney game.

That would give them 19 or 20 wins for the season. No NCAA tourney, 'borderline' NIT team.

If SMU would not fire tankovich after last years' losing season, I simply don't see them firing him after a 18 to 20 win season, especially with an undeniable uptick in talent. Now this is misleading on a couple of levels. One, obviously our easy schedule. Secondly, our talent level really had no were to go but up. Last year our talent level was Top 100, this year Top 80. Neither gets us were we should be.

So expect tankovich to be around another year.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:no big insight by me, but I will stand by my prediction.

at the beginning of the year, looking at our schedule, I said SMU would go 9-9 in a sub-average AAC conference and given our cupcake OOC schedule, end the regular season with either 18 or 19 wins.

They would then travel to FW and play a similar .500 team in the first round of the conference tourney. Being so close to Dallas, SMU will probably be slight favorites to win their opening round tourney game.

That would give them 19 or 20 wins for the season. No NCAA tourney, 'borderline' NIT team.

If SMU would not fire tankovich after last years' losing season, I simply don't see them firing him after a 18 to 20 win season, especially with an undeniable uptick in talent. Now this is misleading on a couple of levels. One, obviously our easy schedule. Secondly, our talent level really had no were to go but up. Last year our talent level was Top 100, this year Top 80. Neither gets us were we should be.

So expect tankovich to be around another year.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I tend to agree but the question is, other than McNeil...will we see any upgrade to the roster next year? Would like to think a 'ship or two could be freed up if there was talent that wanted to be here and could contribute immediately. Would love to add another big
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Here are my thoughts:

1) The no shot clock thing was very poorly handled by UH and the refs. In the second half, the PA announcer was stating "ten" when it got to that level, and counting down the last 5 seconds. Coincidentally, there was one shot during the game that showed on that end SMU was facing a scoreboard that actually showed the 24 second clock.

On the other side, there was no display, and they did not do the PA countdown. The kids instead would count down early and it really, really messed our team up. The refs should have forced the countdown from the PA to happen in both halves. It wasn't right and was against the spirit of the game. I would absolutely protest if I were SMU. Correct me if I am wrong here, because I didn't hear a countdown at all in the first half from the PA, only from the student section.

2) Shooting that poorly, I can't believe the game was that close.

3) THere is an "it" factor that is missing. Maybe maturity, maybe something else. But there are athletic parts there and players who can shoot the ball. But last night and in the Georgia game and at the end of the ECU game, every time there is a big shot we miss it. And defensively we can't get a really key stop. Time and time again. The old saying is that good teams find a way to win, and other teams find a way to lose. We had every opportunity to win that game last night and didn't take it. Vandy is the only close game we have played where we stepped it up at the end of the game.

If that killer instinct doesn't develop, then we are absolutely going to struggle and finish at .500 in the league.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm

JasonB wrote:1) The no shot clock thing was very poorly handled by UH and the refs. In the second half, the PA announcer was stating "ten" when it got to that level, and counting down the last 5 seconds. Coincidentally, there was one shot during the game that showed on that end SMU was facing a scoreboard that actually showed the 24 second clock.

On the other side, there was no display, and they did not do the PA countdown. The kids instead would count down early and it really, really messed our team up. The refs should have forced the countdown from the PA to happen in both halves. It wasn't right and was against the spirit of the game. I would absolutely protest if I were SMU. Correct me if I am wrong here, because I didn't hear a countdown at all in the first half from the PA, only from the student section.

Yeah. When Houston plays up here we really need to Shake Moody and have the Mob constantly counting down the wrong shot clock to get them back for that!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball