PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

USC trying to replace a team on the 2021 schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

USC trying to replace a team on the 2021 schedule

Postby leopold » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:38 pm

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Artic ... 42418/Amp/

Wouldn't mind seeing us drop ACU for them, even though I know it's a long-shot.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: USC trying to replace a team on the 2021 schedule

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:52 am

Get rid of ACU, UNT or La Tech for USC. TCU is our only must keep OOC game.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm

ten win seasons. ten win seasons. And a winning record coming out of non conference.

Those are the things that are critical as we grow our reputation and Dallas fan base.

When we get to the point where the roster is stacked so much that we are going to run the table in conference and need challenge non-conference, then I want two P5 games non-conference.

Until then, especially in 2021 when we are bringing in a new QB, either replace TCU or let it go.

Sorry to be the realist. I know we want big names non conference but winning is more important until we get to *that* level.
JasonB

Postby okcponyfan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:06 pm

they should probably talk to UCONN, they only have 8 game scheduled so far for 2021
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby leopold » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Yeah, I said the same thing. UConn should have been on the phone yesterday.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:27 pm

JasonB wrote:ten win seasons. ten win seasons. And a winning record coming out of non conference.

Those are the things that are critical as we grow our reputation and Dallas fan base.

When we get to the point where the roster is stacked so much that we are going to run the table in conference and need challenge non-conference, then I want two P5 games non-conference.

Until then, especially in 2021 when we are bringing in a new QB, either replace TCU or let it go.

Sorry to be the realist. I know we want big names non conference but winning is more important until we get to *that* level.

I agree we need a soft schedule to get to 10 wins. But I disagree that we should drop TCU a big rivalry game. The schedule we had in 2019 was just about perfect. The new schedule with no divisions will be even better.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am

I tend to agree we might not be ready for a road game at USC in the same year we would be traveling to Ft Worth against TCU but depending on what happens to the AAC, future scheduling could become a challenge.

It's going to be awkward having only 11 teams for football and still trying to host a championship game with no divisions and playing # 1 vs # 2 like the Big XII does, especially if every team is only playing 8 conference games (with potentially unbalanced, different strength of schedules). The alternative is to play 10 conference games which would at least provide a more realistic # 1 vs # 2 although there is always the argument of who got who at home vs on the road when 3 teams finish with similar records.

Going to 10 conference games and leaving only 2 non-conference games would severely restrict any AAC school that has a traditional non-conference rivalry game, like SMU has with TCU. I'm hopeful the AAC can find a good replacement for UConn at some point because I really prefer 12 teams with two 6 team divisions and playing 8 conference games which allows more flexibility in non-conference scheduling but if we take a road game with a program like USC, we are not likely to get a home/home series which means another FCS opponent from the Southland to balance the home/road schedule.
Charleston Pony

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:51 am

JasonB wrote:ten win seasons. ten win seasons. And a winning record coming out of non conference.

I 100% agree with this. Some on here have strongly disagreed with this stance (primarily I think because of attendance, etc) but I've always said that it's more about the wins - Dallas will support a winner, so just win and then over time can start bringing in bigger names. Last year proved it, we don't have to sell out every game but being more than 50% filled for all games is a huge improvement (and maybe have a chance to sell out TCU and get a pretty full stadium against others like Houston or UNT or Navy, etc)
ojaipony

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm

I was under the impression that the next two years we would play 8 conference games and 4 non conference games. That makes 12 games. Am I wrong? I still think that TCU needs to stay as one of our non conference games. They are truly the only rivals we have left.

Playing 8 conference games with 11 teams means we don't play 2 teams. But if we went back to 2 divisions we wouldn't play 3 teams per season. I think for 2 reasons the 1 division conference is best. First, because we only don't play 2 teams. And second, we divide up the revenue among fewer schools meaning each school gets a larger share.

Also with 2 divisions you could have the situation that the 2 best teams were in the same division. Then playing a championship game with a lesser team would be less meaningful.
Last edited by SMUstang on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 pm

SMUstang wrote:I was under the impression that the next two years we would play 8 conference games and 4 non conference games. That makes 12 games. Am I wrong? I still think that TCU needs to stay as one of our non conference games. They are truly the only rivals we have left.

Houston counts.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:31 pm

OK - so we have a conference rival and a non conference rival. But somehow Houston isn't as big a rival as TCU in my opinion.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:46 pm

SMUstang wrote:OK - so we have a conference rival and a non conference rival. But somehow Houston isn't as big a rival as TCU in my opinion.

Not yet because we certainly don't have the same history with them, but if the two schools find themselves competing for AAC Championships in both football and bball year after year it could become a really good rivalry
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony81 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:53 pm

Houston is for sure our main rival. If only because we play them in most sports.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMUstang wrote:OK - so we have a conference rival and a non conference rival. But somehow Houston isn't as big a rival as TCU in my opinion.

Not yet because we certainly don't have the same history with them, but if the two schools find themselves competing for AAC Championships in both football and bball year after year it could become a really good rivalry

I agree with Charleston Pony on this one. But we should maintain both as rivals and not dispel TCU. Not that I like them, quite the contrary, but we have been rivals for nearly 100 years and have a history together.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:09 am

Didn’t TCU get to “that” level by beating USC?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Next

Return to Football