PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So I Guess Hunt is in the Doghouse?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

So I Guess Hunt is in the Doghouse?

Postby shadowman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Has got to be a story here. I know the last two games they said he had back issues, but if he was truly hurt, you would just sit him all game, not bring him in off the bench to log multiple minutes and making crazy dunks.

He has been our spark plug and a human highlight reel.

There must be a reason why he has been riding the pine at the beginning of the last two games, and it definitely aint a sore back.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Re: So I Guess Hunt is in the Doghouse?

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Have you ever experienced back spasms? I lost an entire season to them. I think Jank is playing him as few minutes as he needs to. Next opponent up is much tougher!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Have you ever experienced back spasms? I lost an entire season to them. I think Jank is playing him as few minutes as he needs to. Next opponent up is much tougher!

I would agree with you, but Hunt just sat quite a spell, then finally got put in with 3 minutes left and SMU up by 20. No way you do that if he had an iffy back. You can also see his body language, he is not happy.
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Jankovich said after the Temple game that he wants to manage Hunt's minutes, and that he was particularly interested to see how his back responds.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby shadowman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:50 pm

PonyPride wrote:Jankovich said after the Temple game that he wants to manage Hunt's minutes, and that he was particularly interested to see how his back responds.

But how is putting him in during garbage time managing his minutes or protecting his back?
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Fair point
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Not sure why he came back in. I would not have done that.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:26 pm

It allows him to play without any pressure if he cannot perform to his full capacity. More like a practice warm up. Makes perfect sense to me. I have had back spasms most of my life. I find usually warming up and working out help them. The problem is what happens when you stop.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:39 pm

I think its pretty obvious there is something physically bothering him because he's not as active or getting to as many balls as usual. Those dunk passes we missed on against Temple are another sign. He had something like 5 games over 17 points in about the last 7 games before he was allegedly hurt. Why would he be in the doghouse
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:44 am

After listening to Jank's post game presser it becomes clear that Hunt's minutes are in fact down as part of sending him a message
Charleston Pony

Postby horsemanx » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:58 am

shadowman wrote:But how is putting him in during garbage time managing his minutes or protecting his back?

Good coaching by Jank to have some toughness on the floor though in case East Carolina tried to steal the ball and dunk on us at the buzzer.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:42 am

I think it may be a bit of both: message and roster preservation.

This is the time of year in the conference grind where depth becomes an issue and we just don't have that much.
Ray is nicked up, Feron is nicked up. Who can step up? We're going to need depth we likely don't have at 4-5 against WSU, Memphis, Houston and Tulsa.
I do agree that Chaggy is getting a message and I like that Jasey is becoming more relevant. I like Chaggy off the bench.

Chaggy and Feron are both "readable" through their body language and it ain't the best. Maybe that's just who they are...maybe somebody closer to the team has better insight. I'd hate to lose either right now...or next season. Feron has the potential to be a star and Chaggy....well...there is too much invested at this point but that doesn't mean the recruiting master Jank can't recruit over him. In fact, he better!

As for our current "bench," Bando is sliding backwards from a very brief solid spell. Smith needs more floor time but he's taken care of the ball pretty well and is gaining confidence. CJ is and will always be CJ. Sure, he hit a few last night but he also had one more turnover than assist: THREE in 11minutes!

The only one in the doghouse should be the coach who took two years off from recruiting. Where's DOOGIE to save the day? Young?

Very shortly we are going to be hearing all about the team the recruiting master has assembled for....ready.....NEXT YEAR.

When this happens just shoot me.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:04 am

Feron had some words last night at one point with Jank from the TV. So, definitely some stuff going on there.

I'll take a different perspective on this. Jank is sending a message on what he expects out of certain positions.

Down low - he wants a banger. He realizes that to take the next step, we need a post presence for spacing on offense and we need a rim protector on defense. So, Jasey is in and Chagois is out until he improves.

As for Hunt, he has been playing him at what the TV labeled as "shooting forward" all year, with Mike at the 4. Coming into the season, the talk was that the three of Hunt had developed, and that he could play more like a guard. Well, his shot really isn't a threat yet. 28% from 3. Not having that extra shooting threat leaves us vulnerable on the road and against really good teams. So, I think Hunt is actually being rotated into the rotation at the 4. This pops Band into the starting lineup at Shooting Forward. CJ and Smith are now getting more time in the rotation at the guard spots, and all of this at the cost of Ray, because Hunt is eating his minutes at the 4 and once Jasey got his legs back they weren't going to rotate three at center anymore.

CJ was interesting last night - Jank made a point in the first half of subbing out both Davis and Jolly for Smith and CJ and made CJ play point over Smith and Band. He wasn't very comfortable. It just makes it clear that Jolly needs to play point when Davis is out, and then Band is next up after that.

The broadcasters last night talked about chippiness at practice. IMHO, Jasey, Band, CJ, and Smith are starting to play better in practice and forced Jank to make some changes to the rotation. And we are seeing the impact on the role of Hunt, Chargois, and Ray.

On the bright side of all this, with Ethan and Hunt coming off the bench, we will get more scoring out of the bench unit.
JasonB

Postby smitty329 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:09 pm

I notice Hunt looks over to the bench/Jank a lot after the opposing team scores and he is heading up the court - not sure he knows 100% whats going on defensively - he is only a sophomore - and this is the first year they can have a full scrimmage at practice. He has talent and upside, as he gets more comfortable and the staff is more comfortable with him, I would expect the minutes to increase and return to the starting lineup.
smitty329
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 pm

Hunt is a very good player. Probable all conference before he is done.
ponyboy

Next

Return to Basketball