PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB vs. East Carolina game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB vs. East Carolina game thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Chargois has a good night offensively scoring 12 points in 19 minutes on 4-5 shooting including 2-3 from three and 2-2 FTs. Would take that every night from him
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 pm

mustangxc wrote:We really should have won by 30, but I’ll take it.

The team has that "overconfident" opening to the 2nd half when they let ECU back in the game and game them new energy. Jank waited until the TV timeout but I think they got a wake up reminder of what happened just 11 days ago because they came out of that TO and put this one away
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm

Team was 15-31 from three tonight. That will win you a lot of games, but that's a lot of threes to be jacking up...31 of 53 FG attempts. Almost 60% of our FGs from three whereas ECU jacked up a little more than 30% of their FGs from three
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 pm

Davis had at least 4 back door dribble drive baskets himself. 9:1 assist turnover ratio
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:18 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Team was 15-31 from three tonight. That will win you a lot of games, but that's a lot of threes to be jacking up...31 of 53 FG attempts. Almost 60% of our FGs from three whereas ECU jacked up a little more than 30% of their FGs from three

The percentage of 3s was high, but much fewer of the jack up a 3 early in the shot clock thing. They actually worked the ball around a bit and took what they were given.

There were only two slow offensive periods of the game. In the first half, we subbed Jolley and Davis out and had a backcourt of CJ, Band, and Smith, with CJ running point. Really struggled with that look. I think point from here on out will be Davis, Jolly, and then Band. But nice to see a deeper rotation at Guard with Hunt spending a lot of time at the 4. Good game to experiment and get quality minutes ahead of a tough schedule.

The other slow offensive period was the beginning of the second half, which unfortunately I missed.

Defensively, our intensity was good for portions of the game, but there were also some moments where ECU just missed open shots. What I have seen is that we get burned when we try and help too much away from the ball, and we get caught switching a lot. When players just play man, stick with their guy, and don't worry about someone else's guy, we actually play really good defense. And with Jasey, Ethan, and Ray all available down low, we have fouls to burn if players penetrate. There really is no reason to dive in and help as much as we do.
JasonB

Postby ponyte » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm

I listened to the game. Sounded like we played a more patient offense. And were strong on the boards.
ponyte

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Our guys were outstanding on the boards last night, but ECU made little effort to go after offensive rebounds and their focus was clearly on getting back and not giving us easy transition buckets.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball