PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So I Guess Hunt is in the Doghouse?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: So I Guess Hunt is in the Doghouse?

Postby shadowman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:01 pm

Was an article in the DMN today that Jank was attempting to send a message to Hunt and Chargois that they need to mature a bit more and give 100% effort for every minute they are on the floor.

Hopefully just a minor road bump, but you could tell watching Hunt on Wednesday he was in a P.O.ed mood. We definitely could not afford to have him quit. There is always a fine line in disciplining your stars.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:24 pm

Feron got only 13 minutes today. Hope he is mature enough to work harder on his D. He has to see how important it is to play both ends of the court after how our guys won this game at Memphis today. Basically shut them down the last 5 minutes!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smitty329 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:36 pm

shadowman wrote:...We definitely could not afford to have him quit. There is always a fine line in disciplining your stars.

By not giving 100% on the court he IS quitting - and that's why his minutes have dwindled. He has remarkable talent and can be a great contributor to this team. If he wants to make the most of his free education as a student athlete, he needs to perform. Message sent from the staff. If he pouts and leaves so be it, we are probably better off without him.
smitty329
All-American

Postby shadowman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Yep,

Hard to have to admit it, but SMU is a better team at this time with Band instead of Hunt, he is a better defender, 3 point shooter and free throw shooter. I think Jank has his lineup now, with Jacey and Chargois splitting roughly 50/50.

Will be interesting to see how Hunt responds. His body language is really bad though.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:57 pm

This team needs Feron giving maximum effort. He's a special talent and has been a tremendous offensive rebounder. Shooting his FTs today you could just see how deflated he is right now. I sure hope he stays in the fold and doesn't get frustrated and transfers out. Big shoes to fill.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:25 pm

It is about defensive effort. Jank believes Band is a great defender with his length and athleticism. He is challenging both Hunt and Ethan on the defensive end to improve their games.
JasonB

Postby Mustangsabu » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Hunt’s body language was terrible yesterday. Those two free throws he missed said it all. I hope he realizes everyone wants him to succeed and just needs to get with the program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Last year when all the Jank hate was exploding on this site, Feron actually came on and commented. He is/was one of Jank's biggest defenders. I just hope he finds the determination to work [deleted] becoming a complete player because he's got a chance to become a very special player for SMU as an uppereclass guy and may be a key to this team cracking the Top 25 again.

Remember, he will be part of the same class as Davis, McNeill and Bandoumel. That could be a pretty stout group as JRs and SRs
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:00 pm

...and Jolly

Its one of the better recruiting classes in SMU history and we haven't even seen McNeil. Need a little balance on the Jank can't recruit mantra. Yes, during a probationary period he swung and missed on a few kids-but Douglas was a 4 star who just didn't pan out-it happens. Why would a top recruit want to play on a team on a 3 year probation-even Ron Meyer and definitely Bobby Collins had recruiting problems in the year after major probations. I know the rebuttal but the real handicap was that SMU wasn't in a position to offer scholarships to transfers that might have sit a year--which is really how this program was built--because he had to have immediately eligible players to fill a short bench. Now that the transfer portal has changed that is somewhat a different equation--but we still don't have McNeil who almost assuredly will be at minimum a solid contributor
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Stallion wrote:...and Jolly

Its one of the better recruiting classes in SMU history and we haven't even seen McNeil. Need a little balance on the Jank can't recruit mantra. Yes, during a probationary period he swung and missed on a few kids-but Douglas was a 4 star who just didn't pan out-it happens. Why would a top recruit want to play on a team on a 3 year probation-even Ron Meyer and definitely Bobby Collins had recruiting problems in the year after major probations. I know the rebuttal but the real handicap was that SMU wasn't in a position to offer scholarships to transfers that might have sit a year--which is really how this program was built--because he had to have immediately eligible players to fill a short bench. Now that the transfer portal has changed that is somewhat a different equation--but we still don't have McNeil who almost assuredly will be at minimum a solid contributor

I didn't include Jolly, Mike, Chargois or Jasey as those guys will only have one more year at SMU but I agree that Jank has put together a pretty good roster. He has always talked about how important transfers are and that the probation limited what he could do with transfers as he needed everyone to be eligible. If everyone comes back next year and this team continues to improve, next year could be special with as many as 10-11 guys able to contribute. Smith IV is one who has shown he could really develop and get into the rotation next year. How nice would it be to have a 10 deep roster playing fast and applying pressure defense for 40 minutes. Guys just have to buy into team ball and not get too hung up on their minutes/numbers.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball