PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What a great win!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What a great win!

Postby indianmustang » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:42 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:24 am

One game at a time. I feel confident that we will have some good wins the rest of the way, but we will also have some poor losses. We need everyone on the team contributing. Including Chaggy and Hunt. I'm getting tired of their hangdog looks on the court.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:01 pm

8-3 from this point out would have us on the bubble, likely in, because it would mean two more tier 1 wins. 9-2 we are in. 7-4 we are off the bubble still, but a lock for the NIT. 6-5 and the NIT looks shaky.

Winning on the road is hard, so I'm not sure how probable an NCAA birth is. But it is still possible.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:07 pm

We probably need to win every home game which would include wins vs Houston, Wichita State, Memphis and UConn and probably can't afford any more than one road loss at either Tulsa or Cincy to have any hope of getting an at large bid and it still might not happen because of the non-conference schedule and results. Most likely, it's auto bid or NIT for this group, although a 25-5 regular season and advancing to the finals of the AAC Tourney might earn an auto bid. I'd be shocked if this team can pull off the kind of finish that is probably required in order to dance this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm

If this team manages to win enough to pull off an at-large bid then I think Jankovich would have definitely earned an extension. Win enough for an NIT bid and he should be back to make a run next season. Anything less and I would need him to guarantee running off at least 2 players with a plan to replace them with top recruits/transfers.
mustangxc

Postby ponyte » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm

mustangxc wrote:If this team manages to win enough to pull off an at-large bid then I think Jankovich would have definitely earned an extension. Win enough for an NIT bid and he should be back to make a run next season. Anything less and I would need him to guarantee running off at least 2 players with a plan to replace them with top recruits/transfers.

Running off players? Man, I can't think of a better recruiting strategy. We should be able to get all kinds of kids interesting knowing that could be in their future.
ponyte

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 pm

mustangxc wrote:If this team manages to win enough to pull off an at-large bid then I think Jankovich would have definitely earned an extension. Win enough for an NIT bid and he should be back to make a run next season. Anything less and I would need him to guarantee running off at least 2 players with a plan to replace them with top recruits/transfers.

I think that's a pretty accurate take. With 20-plus wins he'll be all about "how good his team will be next year," "nobody graduates...etc"

But we sunk as far as we have precisely because he couldn't or didn't recruit well. Hence, the end of our long bench. As much as showing he can coach during games he needs to prove he can bring home the recruiting bacon this year. It won't require much as the only open spots will be the result of attrition.....unless one or two of the rotation guys transfer. So let's amend that to: keep the 8 rotation players you have, go get a couple more rotation-worthy guys....one a rim protector and perhaps a solid backup to Davis.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 pm

I agree with the first two points.

Jolly, Davis, Band, Mike, Jasey with McNeil, Hunt, Ethan, Smith off the bench next year isn't a bad look. Not sure you are going to be able to run off Douglas/White/Young/Ray and bring in someone who can fight through that and get to a starting spot.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:30 pm

JasonB wrote:

I agree with the first two points.

Jolly, Davis, Band, Mike, Jasey with McNeil, Hunt, Ethan, Smith off the bench next year isn't a bad look. Not sure you are going to be able to run off Douglas/White/Young/Ray and bring in someone who can fight through that and get to a starting spot.

Let him go out and get a grad transfer star or two from a team(s) with no shot at the tourney. Next year's team with the right addition or two could really go places. If there is a shot to recruit over a few of the weaker rotation guys you've got to do it. Maybe there's a blue-blood or two headed towards probation with a starter who wants out. Competition for minutes!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby indianmustang » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:09 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 pm

I don't see any need to "run anyone off" but there is always the possibility one of the bench guys decides he's like to go somewhere he can start or at least get more minutes. Someone might be thinking ahead and be willing to take a transfer where he would have to sit a year to play one or two more, giving him an opportunity to complete his undergrad studies and start grad school.

Bottom line is that no more than 9-10 guys are going to see minutes so if nobody leaves, this team is looking pretty competitive for next season and there will be plenty of 'ships to offer with Jolly, Mike, Chaggy, Jasey & Memphis Doug all moving on (and of course, plenty of production to replace).

The advantage of some guys leaving is that Jank could take a transfer or two who might have to sit next year
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Kind of a shame the scheduling prevents a Coach Jank show tonight after the huge win Saturday!!!

Kind of like when there was no Sonny show after the big Tulsa 3OT win when we were 6-0 because of the bye.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:55 pm

How many people go to that? I have never been able to make it because of rehearsals but I’d be curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball