PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Re-Alignment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Re-Alignment

Postby malonish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:51 pm

In theory, one could have 5 people show up physically to games and still get plenty of TV dollars. But no doubt attendance and viewership are generally correlated.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:37 pm

That's a great point.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Adding all those western teams might allow for a better TV deal that might actually increase per team revenues because we could cover all time zones for ESPN and CBS but why do I think a 14 team coast to coast conference smells too much like the failed WAC 16?
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 am

The WAC 16 wasn't funded properly. It attempted to provide a home for all the homeless. And there was too much discord among some of it's members. It wouldn't surprise me if the WAC brought football back. WATCH TWITTER TOMORROW.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 am

I always thought it was a bit ahead of its time. Not a bad conference in today's world if Houston replaced Rice. Especially with so many 14 team conferences around.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:52 am

WAC 96 - The sun never sets on the WAC!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 pm

WAC was not a good home for SMU or at least is wasn't for those of us living on the east coast. I'm not wild about playing in a western division of the American where games at SDSU would start at 10:00 eastern time, or even later but I do agree going to 14 and adding SDSU, Boise and one other (either Air Force or UNLV) might enhance the American as a coast to coast conference
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:02 pm

I think we'll see Boise State, BYU and Air Force in the conference, plus a good bit more money per school, when they work out the details, which will take some time because there's a lot to resolve. But the end result for the American, and the individual schools, will be worth it.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:37 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Adding all those western teams might allow for a better TV deal that might actually increase per team revenues because we could cover all time zones for ESPN and CBS but why do I think a 14 team coast to coast conference smells too much like the failed WAC 16?

The schools/teams that would be in an expanded AAC in 2020 are miles ahead of where the WAC 16 was. Never mind that SMU, TCU, and Rice were absolutely reeling at the time. New Mexico, San Jose State, UTEP, Wyoming ... far too many weak sisters with tiny TV markets.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:15 pm

If the rumors on twitter are right, it's just a matter of time until the American is a true P6 14 team conference.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:37 pm

That would not suck.
ponyboy

Postby Dukie » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:33 pm

SMUstang wrote:If the rumors on twitter are right, it's just a matter of time until the American is a true P6 14 team conference.

I can't deal with the twattering machine. What is being said? Thx!
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:34 pm

Just one of the tweets.

Great read! Devil is always in the details. I wonder if collectively BSU, BYU and Air Force would hitch their wagons together to the AAC and do a East-West thing? PAC 12 won’t happen. Big 12 unlikely. Indy can’t survive.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:15 am

SMUstang wrote:Just one of the tweets.

Great read! Devil is always in the details. I wonder if collectively BSU, BYU and Air Force would hitch their wagons together to the AAC and do a East-West thing? PAC 12 won’t happen. Big 12 unlikely. Indy can’t survive.

I rather have San Diego st one of three considered teams. Mainly because I like to travel to SD over the others. :)
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:08 am

SMUstang wrote:Just one of the tweets.

Thanks. Interesting idea. This is cutthroat, and I realize even two years ago SMU would have been on the wrong side of the cut, but the best way to get all three might be creating a new 12-team, all-sports league and deciding who in the current AAC would not be invited (hi, ECU). Or figuring out how to keep Navy but otherwise shrinking things.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football