PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Admissions-Full Court Press

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Admissions-Full Court Press

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 pm

So my kiddo received her admission letter from SMU along with a $100k Distinguished Scholarship. A month later another $36k for something called the Discovery Scholarship. At this point, I’m a very proud Dad.

This week Trustee Mike Boone sends her a letter. I take her to dinner and say, “when Mike Boone writes you, you sit up and take notice. If you get a letter from the Hunts, Dedmans, or a handful of others, SMU is telling you something. Loudly.”

We go home and holy smoke, she has a letter from Chair Robert Dedman, Jr. A very personalized letter.

Kudos to SMU for working to get this kid. She’s waiting on Dartmouth, Duke, Johns Hopkins and Rice. Then, the choice will be hers.

I say this because I love SMU. But next time someone says, SMU doesn’t do enough to recruit minority students (in our case,a Latina student), show them this post. Admissions is busting their [deleted] for the top students, period.

One proud Mustang.
Last edited by PonyLaw90 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Re: SMU Admissions-Full Court Press

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:So my kiddo received her admission letter from SMU along with a $100k Distinguished Scholarship. A month later another $36k for something called the Discovery Scholarship. At this point, I’m a very proud Dad.

This week Trustee Mike Boone sends her a letter. I take her to dinner and say, “when Mike Boone writes you, you sit up and take notice. If you get a letter from the Hunts, Dedmans, or a handful of others, SMU is telling you something. Loudly.”

We go home and holy smoke, she has a letter from Chair Robert Dedman, Jr. A very personalized letter.

Kudos to SMU for working to get this kid. She’s waiting on Dartmouth, Duke, Johns Hopkins and Rice. Then, the choice will be hers.

I say this because I love SMU. But next time someone says, SMU doesn’t do enough to recruit minority (in our case, Latina students), show them this post. Admissions is busting their [deleted] for the top students, period.

One proud Mustang.

Need a “like” icon here. Congratulations.
On behalf of my committee, regardless of her choice We Did Want Her Anyway.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:10 am

Congrats to her and to her proud papa!
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 am

That is a great story. Thank you for sharing. While she won't lose with any of these schools, I hope she chooses to head to the hilltop.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Last edited by tristatecoog on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:29 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:So my kiddo received her admission letter from SMU along with a $100k Distinguished Scholarship. A month later another $36k for something called the Discovery Scholarship. At this point, I’m a very proud Dad.

I say this because I love SMU. But next time someone says, SMU doesn’t do enough to recruit minority students (in our case,a Latina student), show them this post. Admissions is busting their [deleted] for the top students, period.

One proud Mustang.

Congratulations, PolyLaw90!
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Return to Around the Hilltop