PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs. Ohio State 1978

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs. Ohio State 1978

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:24 pm

I never saw this game footage before. I am pretty sure that this game was not broadcast in Dallas. I remember listening to it on the radio. A great 3 game out of conference road trip that year as I recall. A very impressive and exciting outing at Ohio State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmO78hYnifw
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: SMU vs. Ohio State 1978

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm

We missed a 47 yard field goal with two seconds left. Really a good effort on our part.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 am

This was part of the Ron Meyer national recruiting campaign. Three game road trip with the tie at Ohio State, a win at Florida and a narrow loss at Penn State...all fertile recruiting grounds to supplement Texas
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:13 pm

This is game film with commentary added later. Note how the camera includes the entire formation and zooms out on plays to pick up the entire field. This way one can study the pass routes and coverages. It shows much more than just the interior play more common in TV broadcast. It wasn't just a missed field goal. The Ponies came back from a 14 point deficit starting the fourth qurter. It was the bggest comeback in the 4th quarter against a Woody Hayes OSU team at home.

That was the worse field we played on in my career at SMU. Big crown with worn out astroturf and zero padding on top of asphalt. During the Friday walk through, I lefted a seam on the closed end of the horseshoe at the 35 yard line and the carpet come up form sideline to sideline. As rich as that school was it went turbo cheap on its field. Rice had a better field.
ponyte

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Interesting about their field.

Unfortunately, we only remember Woody for punching players.
ponyboy

Postby ponyfan777 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:43 am

That was the year b4 I became a fan. Last year in Cotton Bowl. Great mems.

Go Ponies!
DeanO~
ponyfan777
Varsity

Postby Topper » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:52 pm

ponyte wrote:This is game film with commentary added later. Note how the camera includes the entire formation and zooms out on plays to pick up the entire field. This way one can study the pass routes and coverages. It shows much more than just the interior play more common in TV broadcast. It wasn't just a missed field goal. The Ponies came back from a 14 point deficit starting the fourth qurter. It was the bggest comeback in the 4th quarter against a Woody Hayes OSU team at home.

That was the worse field we played on in my career at SMU. Big crown with worn out astroturf and zero padding on top of asphalt. During the Friday walk through, I lefted a seam on the closed end of the horseshoe at the 35 yard line and the carpet come up form sideline to sideline. As rich as that school was it went turbo cheap on its field. Rice had a better field.

Ponyte I'm curious about what your impressions were of Mike Ford? From a spectator's perspective he seemed to have a good arm and could take a hit. I sometimes worried because friends told me that they sometimes saw him carousing the nights before home games. Was that possible? I always liked him and recently saw a news bit about him living somewhere not far from Dallas.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Return to Football