PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:40 pm

We've got a pledge here from Alamogordo. Put ponypatrick down for $10M. Now we should be able to move on this thing.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:30 pm

My guess is that David Miller sees that Jank has actually put together a pretty decent roster that should be good enough to make a post season tourney this year and shows real promise for next year. If Jank can encourage a couple of guys residing deep on our bench to leave and more important, if he can backfill with a couple of impact transfers for the '21-'22 season, the real struggle is going to be whether to extend his contract.

I wish SMU could find another coach that could do what Larry Brown did for our hoops program, but those guys just don't grow on trees and they guys of that pedigree have a lot better options than SMU. Remember that Coach Brown had pretty much been put out to pasture when SMU hired him. I agree with those who say Pittino (even though potentially toxic as L.B. proved to be) might be the only guy who could boost this program right away. I just think Jank will be our coach for at least one more season after this '19-'20 season
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 pm

Call me a yahoo but I miss Larry Brown, and the genius that thought it was smart to play hardball with his contract and then give Jank his current contract should be fired.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:If Jank can encourage a couple of guys residing deep on our bench to leave and more important, if he can backfill with a couple of impact transfers for the '21-'22 season, the real struggle is going to be whether to extend his contract.

Just felt my blood pressure skyrocket
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:40 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:If Jank can encourage a couple of guys residing deep on our bench to leave and more important, if he can backfill with a couple of impact transfers for the '21-'22 season, the real struggle is going to be whether to extend his contract.

Just felt my blood pressure skyrocket

Mine too....Low Energy Jank, will never get it done.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 am

I thought Jank looked stressed out and agitated during his interview yesterday.

It certainly came across that he is feeling the pressure.
JasonB

Postby redpony » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:29 am

If the powers that be can't see how jank and hart have destroyed this program over the last couple of years then they are blind. If jank is allowed to continue for an additional year I imagine you will see 1k fans (max.) in Moody as the disaster will continue to perpetuate itself.
redpony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:41 pm

If he loses these next 2 games, he is toast.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm

ponyboy wrote:We've got a pledge here from Alamogordo. Put ponypatrick down for $10M. Now we should be able to move on this thing.

I'll pledge 12M if you'll match it
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:If he loses these next 2 games, he is toast.

If that were a guarantee, I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind a loss to UConn tonight. But I don't believe that they will let him go, so go SMU!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 am

I’m afraid you are dreaming. I thought the pressure was on last year to not lose everything that had been gained, and I also believed that the reseat debacle and price increase was extra incentive. I’m now convinced that he’s going nowhere. He will finish the season with a winning record and they will continue to act like we are still a top program with a rockin atmosphere. Beat UCONN!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Hop Sing wrote:

I’m afraid you are dreaming. I thought the pressure was on last year to not lose everything that had been gained, and I also believed that the reseat debacle and price increase was extra incentive. I’m now convinced that he’s going nowhere. He will finish the season with a winning record and they will continue to act like we are still a top program with a rockin atmosphere. Beat UCONN!

I’m inclined to agree with you Hop..... mostly.

He’s actually recruited well enough to deserve seeing his recruits on the floor together as an experienced unit. The real problem is that he would still have to actually coach them. If he is given another year I’ll still not expect over-achievement. It just isn’t Jank’s forte.

However.... if we go 0-2 this week and look silly doing it. If we blow games the way we’ve done so far this season and/ or if we $h!t the bed in Fort Worth the bank may just have to let Jank cash out.

Sad.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 am

Announced attendance last night for UConn was 4,249 and it appeared there were fewer than that number actually in attendance. That, as much as anything has to be a huge disappointment for everyone associated with SMU basketball. Saturday night vs Houston will be a huge test of where this program is and hopefully Moody doesn't become Houston's home arena. Wasn't that long ago that our fans joked about taking over Houston's gym when our guys played down there.
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:22 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Announced attendance last night for UConn was 4,249 and it appeared there were fewer than that number actually in attendance. That, as much as anything has to be a huge disappointment for everyone associated with SMU basketball. Saturday night vs Houston will be a huge test of where this program is and hopefully Moody doesn't become Houston's home arena. Wasn't that long ago that our fans joked about taking over Houston's gym when our guys played down there.
It was a joke we were about 100 or less.
Every time the smu chant began it was blown out with boo's. Even the Concession people would chastise if you donned SMU. Blue collar to the Max , makes Texas tech and UCF look friendly- A war zone.
One Trick Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:37 am

Attended my second game of the season last night and it was a decent crowd considering all things. Always good to beat UCONN, and its the first time I can recall seeing and hearing Husky fans at Moody. Probably because of the absolute lack of any energy by the home crowd. When we lost the big lead at the end there was an attempt at noise in the last minute, but it was weak. Bought 2 tickets for 8 each and sat in my old season ticket seats that cost 1,400 per last year. Truly sad, and I’m curious to see what happens concerning ticket prices and donation requirements for next year.
Hop Sing
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball