PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game 26 SMU vs Tulsa

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Game 26 SMU vs Tulsa

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Frankly no one on the team has had a good game so far.

Mike started poorly but played well since starting 1-5 shooting

Have to re-visit this comment. Mike's meltdown could not have come at a worse time and basically put the rout in motion
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Frankly no one on the team has had a good game so far.

Mike started poorly but played well since starting 1-5 shooting

Have to re-visit this comment. Mike's meltdown could not have come at a worse time and basically put the rout in motion

He had an ok stretch but never really played well today. Nobody on the team played well today. This was a team loss. Terrible play, terrible coaching. Just awful!
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I think today as much as any single game shows that we really need to make a change in leadership. I just want a new AD to make the selection as I think Hart is about as incompetent as it gets.

For all the talk of how "young" this team is and that it has no seniors, this team needs some roster burn. Chargois and Jasey with 5 points and 5 boards between them today. Need to say goodbye to some bench guys and bring in some low post presence/rim protector. Hopefully McNeill will add to the backcourt depth but it gets tiring watching this team jack threes and not being able to play in the paint.

Douglas has to go, Ray has to go, McBride probably has to go. Young Jr. can stay as a non-scholarship player. Chargois can stay for depth. White can stay for depth. We don't need more than 3 scholarships as I don't think we can fill them with upgraded talent. We move on from those 3 and we can go get two front court players to help and one true PG to back up Davis so he is not gassed at the end.
mustangxc

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Disappointing two-game stretch for sure.

Quick turnaround for Memphis Tuesday night too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:54 pm

5 on 5 practices may not be the answer to the program's problems :lol:
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:57 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:5 on 5 practices may not be the answer to the program's problems :lol:

Yeah. Probably only have time for one before Memphis!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:08 pm

.Image
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:00 pm

My observations today:
* Defensively, not only do we give up some easy buckets, even in a tight game, we don't really force any turnovers. We have zero defensive pressure. Even Band, who is out there because of his length and defensive abilities, falls asleep on a simple back door drive. Overall, Band and Davis are adequate defensively right now, but Jolly, Mike, Hunt, Ethan, and Jasey are not good defensive players. Of that last group, Ethan might actually be the best defender. Jasey has some size underneath, but his lack of jumping ability really punishes him and his feet are slow.
* I really don't like the team when they go small ball (Jasey and Ethan both on the bench). They aren't active enough defensively to make up for the lack of height.
* On offense, we live and die by the three, obviously. What makes the problem worse is that Jolly and Davis have stopped challenging bigs on the drive. They also have stopped taking the mid-range jumper. Hunt, White, Band, and Mike can hit shots (most games) when they sit in their spot and get fed passes from underneath. But none of them are good with the handle to beat a guy on the dribble. They only drive when they have open space. Jolly and Davis are the only ones who can dribble penetrate. Davis has stopped the midrange game, and Jolly has really stopped his dribble penetration alltogether. When we arent' hitting our threes the spacing gets really messed up, and because we aren't getting our bigs to score down low and aren't hitting the mid range J, teams are just packing it in when Davis drives, forcing him to kick, and letting us brick threes.
JasonB

Postby horsemanx » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 pm

In just a few days I have gone from believing we would finish the season 6-0 to thinking we might not win another game.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:21 am

horsemanx wrote:In just a few days I have gone from believing we would finish the season 6-0 to thinking we might not win another game.

We are a young team. We are going to show our pure skill in home games because we can score and should be favored to win both of those games against solid teams. On the road, all bets are off because we aren't good defensively and don't have the ability to get easy baskets when shots aren't falling.

We "should" win both of these home games. The Wichita game scares me most because if it is close at the end, they can go into defensive lockdown mode and we can't.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:03 am

What was the +/- for when Ethan was in the game?

I saw him throw two wild passes out of bounds in the short time I watched - but everyone seemed to be doing that.

Chag scored 30 points in the two games vs. Tulsa last year. This year he had 2 points.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:05 am

JasonB wrote:
horsemanx wrote:In just a few days I have gone from believing we would finish the season 6-0 to thinking we might not win another game.

We are a young team. We are going to show our pure skill in home games because we can score and should be favored to win both of those games against solid teams. On the road, all bets are off because we aren't good defensively and don't have the ability to get easy baskets when shots aren't falling.

We "should" win both of these home games. The Wichita game scares me most because if it is close at the end, they can go into defensive lockdown mode and we can't.

JB, we are not a young team. Either in experience or playing together. This team has been together since late September and at this point have 4 regular season games left. We are who we are. A team of role players, transfers, and d-2 or below end of the bench seat warmers. All coached by a lazy marginally talented coach. We live and die by the 3 and have a puncher's chance against teams that don't defend.
friarwolf
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball