PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: SMU MBB vs. Memphis

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: SMU MBB vs. Memphis

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:32 am

gostangs wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:
skyscraper wrote:That might be the worst anthem performance I have heard in years. Shockingly bad.
I think it was one of our football players.
Bless his heart.

He started in the wrong key and then had to just tough it out (as did all of us). Gotta give it to Turner to jump in there and encourage him as he came off the floor pretty bummed.
Was it Robertson,?
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:35 am

.Image
One Trick Pony

Postby BUS » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 am

To do that Anthem you hit the lowest not you can. Scale up five notes and start there. Wish he would have been given the note somehow but he will learn.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:08 am

If we won out (unlikely given our road record), we would tie Tulsa for third, have a quadrant rating close to 1 (would put us top 40 in that regard), and we would have split against Houston, and undefeated against both Wichita and Memphis. We would finish two games ahead of both Wichita and Memphis.

I don't think Tulsa or SMU make the NCAA tourney in that case. I'm just really surprised that Wichita is still considered in the field and Memphis is on the bubble.
JasonB

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:35 am

One Trick Pony wrote:
gostangs wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:[quote="skyscraper"]That might be the worst anthem performance I have heard in years. Shockingly bad.
I think it was one of our football players.
Bless his heart.

He started in the wrong key and then had to just tough it out (as did all of us). Gotta give it to Turner to jump in there and encourage him as he came off the floor pretty bummed.
Was it Robertson,?[/quote]

It was freshman Danielson Ike. He was obviously very embarrassed by his performance. Sounded like he was sick and just toughed it out.

Turner basically chased him down the court to thank/congratulate him. Finally got him to stop. Pat his back and shook his hand. Saw him come back in later with a few buddies and sat baseline. Then he left late in the second half.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am

Did I miss the early comments? Why is no one ripping Quinones for his sweet daisy dukes?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/11/memphi ... ort-shorts

Obviously noticed when we played at Memphis.

I kind of respect him for it.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:53 am

shadowman wrote:
Pony81 wrote:Thankfully, Memphis is less disciplined and more sloppy with the ball than we are.
Equally poorly coached teams and we win.....

Just back from the game, and I will disagree just a bit. This SMU team defense is the best I have seen in quite some time, even including the tournament teams. It is very frustrating how some of scorers decide to disappear and we get offensively struggled at points, but the defense is solid.

Even more perplexing is how we cannot win on the road, even against very bad teams. At home, we rock it, on the road, we have lost to the two worst teams in the conference.

Just have to finish the season strong, get a bye in the tournament and see how we do on a neutral court for the tournament. You would expect a conference tournament in Ft. Worth to be lightly attended. It is up to us to turn it in to a home party.

/cheers

If you think this team plays good defense, you are either blind or know nothing about basketball. Those LB teams were nasty on defense. These Jank teams are Charmin soft.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:56 am

JasonB wrote:If we won out (unlikely given our road record), we would tie Tulsa for third, have a quadrant rating close to 1 (would put us top 40 in that regard), and we would have split against Houston, and undefeated against both Wichita and Memphis. We would finish two games ahead of both Wichita and Memphis.

I don't think Tulsa or SMU make the NCAA tourney in that case. I'm just really surprised that Wichita is still considered in the field and Memphis is on the bubble.

Then let's hope we lose out and get the clown in charge fired.

Anyone hoping we make an NIT run is a pansy who wants to see the program crash and burn long term. Every win is a short term fix for a long term problem. Every minute Jank is in charge sets us backward. He is not the right man (if you can even call his whiny excuse riddled cowardliness loser self that) and never was.

Grow some balls people. It's time to rip the band aid off this infected wound.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 pm

You are pretty naive if you think he’ll be let go at the end of the season. I think he’s probably done enough to stay another year in the eyes of our administration so why not hope we keep winning. If he’s coming back no matter what, wouldn’t you rather at least make the NIT than not? I don’t think he’s done enough to earn his keep but I’m not a decision-maker and I have no say.
mustangxc

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Solid win. Not sure why we fade at times down the stretch. We won a must win game which shows grit.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby skyscraper » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:57 pm

Not really sure I'd call our defense gritty.
I criticize Jank for not running any semblance of an offense, but Memphis was just as bad. Both teams just roll the ball out and see what happens.
skyscraper

GAME THREAD: SMU MBB vs. Memphis

Postby geezerdonk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Keep jacking up those threes - and don' forget to throw in a few wild alley oops with zero chance of success.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:18 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:.Image

The losses to Temple, ÉCU, and Tulsa are brutal
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonySnob » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:25 pm

PonySnob wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:.Image

The losses to Temple, ÉCU, and Tulsa are brutal
Last night was the 1st night even with a win I turned into Mr. Negative we have a very weak basketball team , one dimensional the good news is there's no way we can stay at 15% from 3 shooting the rest of the season it's improbable.

On a positive it was nice to see SMU driving to the basket even if they missed some they need that portion of the game. Chag woke up a bit and drove in the paint.

As the great Larry Brown would say I can get anybody to shoot a jump shot I need somebody that can drive to the basket
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball