PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: SMU MBB vs. Memphis

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: SMU MBB vs. Memphis

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:50 pm

mustangxc wrote:You are pretty naive if you think he’ll be let go at the end of the season. I think he’s probably done enough to stay another year in the eyes of our administration so why not hope we keep winning. If he’s coming back no matter what, wouldn’t you rather at least make the NIT than not? I don’t think he’s done enough to earn his keep but I’m not a decision-maker and I have no say.

No I would not rather win. And that absolutely pains me. Every win helps Jank and hurts the program long term. I can't do another year with this loser of coach, so we need to lose, lose, lose to force our chicken little admins hand. Answer me this, do you think Jank will ever lead us to a final 4? Elite 8? Sweet 16? Ever? At all??? This answer is no. His best team EVER WITH HIS OWN PLAYERS got to the second round of the NIT. That's absolutely [deleted] pathetic for someone who has been coaching for decades.

And if our admin is so naive as to think these wins are anything other than a smokescreen against one of the worst OOC's in the country and racking up wins in a two bid league, then we should just close up shop and stop trying.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:You are pretty naive if you think he’ll be let go at the end of the season. I think he’s probably done enough to stay another year in the eyes of our administration so why not hope we keep winning. If he’s coming back no matter what, wouldn’t you rather at least make the NIT than not? I don’t think he’s done enough to earn his keep but I’m not a decision-maker and I have no say.

No I would not rather win. And that absolutely pains me. Every win helps Jank and hurts the program long term. I can't do another year with this loser of coach, so we need to lose, lose, lose to force our chicken little admins hand. Answer me this, do you think Jank will ever lead us to a final 4? Elite 8? Sweet 16? Ever? At all??? This answer is no. His best team EVER WITH HIS OWN PLAYERS got to the second round of the NIT. That's absolutely [deleted] pathetic for someone who has been coaching for decades.

And if our admin is so naive as to think these wins are anything other than a smokescreen against one of the worst OOC's in the country and racking up wins in a two bid league, then we should just close up shop and stop trying.

We haven't made it to a Sweet 16 in 50 years, and that's your standard? Would I extend Jank? No. Would I pay to get rid of him if it was my money? No. We are having the best Non-LB season in 20 years.You just have to accept that (or you don't but it is what it is).
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:

We haven't made it to a Sweet 16 in 50 years, and that's your standard? Would I extend Jank? No. Would I pay to get rid of him if it was my money? No. We are having the best Non-LB season in 20 years.You just have to accept that (or you don't but it is what it is).

This take right here is falling right into Janks loser mentality that has infested every corner of the program. Battered Pony Syndrome is still clearly alive and well
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm

He’s most likely coming back even if we lose the next 4. Wouldn’t you rather win if he’s coming back regardless?
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Glad we won and hope we win out. Then have a great run in the conference tourney. Then, just maybe, get a chance to play in the big dance. Still, making the NIT beats the last few years. Whether Jank stays or goes isn't my decision. I have no influnece on that decision. So I hope this ride contiunes for our fans and more for our players. I Love the winning cause we have endured far too much losing.
ponyte

Postby used to be 2 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:34 pm

Winning over a large schedule of mediocre teams is not a thrill to me.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 pm

used to be 2 wrote:Winning over a large schedule of mediocre teams is not a thrill to me.
Exemplified by the numbness of the crowd last night including myself
One Trick Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:32 pm

blackoutpony wrote:No I would not rather win. And that absolutely pains me. Every win helps Jank and hurts the program long term. I can't do another year with this loser of coach, so we need to lose, lose, lose to force our chicken little admins hand. Answer me this, do you think Jank will ever lead us to a final 4? Elite 8? Sweet 16? Ever? At all??? This answer is no. His best team EVER WITH HIS OWN PLAYERS got to the second round of the NIT. That's absolutely [deleted] pathetic for someone who has been coaching for decades.

Well it doesn’t pain me on the least. I’m hoping SMU loses every single game during the remainder of tankovich’s tenure here for the very reasons you eloquently stated.

For those who think otherwise, fine, but remember...posters such as Jason said if SMU didn’t go to the NCAA’s last hire that he would be fired. Well SMU had a losing record and he returned.

More posters said post-tourney or bust for timmy this year or he’ll be fired, well guess what, consensus is now that he returns regardless.

So I don’t want to see a repeat of this season NEXT year, which unfortunately most likely will occur. Weak OOC and another 20-win season and I’m afraid some higher-ups will take the mustangsabu accept mediocrity approach.

As things stand now, freakin Baylor University are the Kings of Texas BB and have been for the past decade. No reason whatsoever we can’t match Baylor.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:51 pm

If you’re a winner you want to win every game no matter what. Make a change if you still don’t win enough. Anything less is a loser mentality and too much of that lingers in our fan base.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:58 pm

used to be 2 wrote:Winning over a large schedule of mediocre teams is not a thrill to me.

We sure enjoyed it during this past football season
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:02 pm

I think at this point it would only be fitting for this team to complete the improbable 9-0 Home AAC record and 1-8 Away AAC record-that would be a symbolic ending to this Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde season. SMU really pissed away what could have been a highly successful season-perhaps even a Championship season. Conservatively, we should be in first right now with a tad of road fortitude at ECU and Tulane and its not a stretch to argue we should be all alone in First without a 19 point implosion at Temple. Just pissed a great opportunity away
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:05 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote: but remember...posters such as Jason said if SMU didn’t go to the NCAA’s last hire that he would be fired. Well SMU had a losing record and he returned.

I don't remember anyone suggesting that Jank was under pressure to reach the NCAAs last year, but I do remember hearing the TV crew covering one of our games last season saying that "the expectation for SMU basketball is to return to the NCAA tourney once the program has cleared sanctions and gets back to a full roster".

If that is true, the only question is what happens if this team fails to reach the NCAA (fails to win the auto bid) but earns the NIT invite and wins a couple of games in that tourney? My guess would be Jank comes back, especially when he can play the "we have no seniors" card and there is a reasonable expectation of improvement next year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Stallion wrote:I think at this point it would only be fitting for this team to complete the improbable 9-0 Home AAC record and 1-8 Away AAC record-that would be a symbolic ending to this Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde season. SMU really pissed away what could have been a highly successful season-perhaps even a Championship season. Conservatively, we should be in first right now with a tad of road fortitude at ECU and Tulane and its not a stretch to argue we should be all alone in First without a 19 point implosion at Temple. Just pissed a great opportunity away

I'll take a 9-0 home record in AAC play any time, no matter what the relative strength of the conference might be. That's just hard to do and says a lot about our guys, but the road record has been dismal. At this point, I'm just hoping they can beat WSU and at least one of the Florida directional schools because that should land us in the 4th spot and at least earn a 1st round bye in the AAC Tourney.
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:19 pm

mustangxc wrote:If you’re a winner you want to win every game no matter what. Make a change if you still don’t win enough. Anything less is a loser mentality and too much of that lingers in our fan base.

We 100% disagree on this xc

I’ve fired enough people in my lifetime to know this is true. Keeping dead weight and hoping for ‘change’ is a losing strategy.

Keeping Jank is the loser mentality, period.
SoCal_Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

We sure enjoyed it during this past football season
Lol
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball