PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2020 NIT projections

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2020 NIT projections

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:15 pm

indianmustang wrote:updated 2/27
AAC teams
3 in ncaa
4 in nit
https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

Hope it does happen...that we get 7 teams in these two tournaments, that is
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is it good or bad if we make the NIT? Seems it would be good as its recognition as being one of the better teams to not make March Madness.

But is it bad cause that means we win and can't fire Jank?

I'm vexed as I don't know whether to pull to win or to lose
ponyte

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:45 pm

Nit Wits
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 pm

They'd probably have us playing NTSU in first game at Home
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 pm

Stallion wrote:They'd probably have us playing NTSU in first game at Home

If that projection proves close to accurate and SMU can climb into a 3 seed and UNT remains a 6 seed they just might do that. Might be a well attended game
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:34 pm

ponyte wrote:Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is it good or bad if we make the NIT? Seems it would be good as its recognition as being one of the better teams to not make March Madness.

But is it bad cause that means we win and can't fire Jank?

I'm vexed as I don't know whether to pull to win or to lose

Always root for the team. Jank will take care of itself with results. He isn't going anywhere after this season, unless they completely tank and lose their last 4. That is the only way he is on the hot seat.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:36 pm

When is the NIT selection show watch party in Moody going to be scheduled for?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Mock the NIT all you want but SMU has only had 12 seasons in program history with a better outcome than an NIT appearance. I know we can do better but SMU has no history to be mocking the NIT.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:44 pm

mustangxc wrote:Mock the NIT all you want but SMU has only had 12 seasons in program history with a better outcome than an NIT appearance. I know we can do better but SMU has no history to be mocking the NIT.

Thank yoy RGT. hater of all SMU sports. He is as bad a Pye when it comes to promoting and supporting our sports programs.
redpony

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:30 pm

mustangxc wrote:Mock the NIT all you want but SMU has only had 12 seasons in program history with a better outcome than an NIT appearance. I know we can do better but SMU has no history to be mocking the NIT.

Agree. But this group has a better chance of winning the AAC tournament than winning the NIT. All of the games will be within a short drive from campus and (hopefully) it would require winning 3 games. And we know the home/road record of this team.

I would focus on winning the AAC tournament. Go buy your tix now and get to Ft. Worth!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:11 pm

While this is true, the NCAA tourney is kinda like the FB Bowl season, over time, the more the merrier.

When Ark Pony, MRydel & Charleston Pony were students, the tourney only had 25 teams, today of course, there is 68.

Dallas and Texas were different back then as well. No reason today that SMU can’t be a perpetual Top 35 basketball program.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:12 am

PonyTime wrote:

Agree. But this group has a better chance of winning the AAC tournament than winning the NIT. All of the games will be within a short drive from campus and (hopefully) it would require winning 3 games. And we know the home/road record of this team.

I would focus on winning the AAC tournament. Go buy your tix now and get to Ft. Worth!

Anybody bought a ticket package for the AAC Tournament or is the strategy to buy single day tickets?

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 am

PonySnob wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

Anybody bought a ticket package for the AAC Tournament or is the strategy to buy single day tickets?

BTG
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:47 am

Don’t mock the NIT. This team may not meet your expectations or you might just be done with the coach (I am) but there is a lot to be said for the experience gained by playing AND the entertainment factor for fans.

How quickly we forget that home three game run capped off by the Nic Moore three to beat Cal. If you went to MSG you were rewarded with two unforgettable games.... although I’d really prefer a different ending to the final. That guy stepped o/b on the baseline just before he assisted on the winning three.

With or without Jank our guys would benefit from the experience. No telling how much of our core we retain next year.... but it makes sense to let the Ponies run. When you are actually playing in a win or go home situation does it really matter what it says on the program?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby indianmustang » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:15 am

another update from dratings
3/1
still same
https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/
Mustang from India
indianmustang