PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I’m not asking for much...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I’m not asking for much...

Postby smitty329 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:31 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:What is certain is that we shouldn't lower ourselves to personal attacks -- attacks that include attempts at reading a man's mind as to his motivations. As far as I can see, Tim Jankovich is a good man and a coach who's doing everything in his power to help us win. Not a popular take in this cancel culture, but there it is.

If you hired someone and paid them handsomely to do a job, and they rewarded you by putting in practically zero effort and constantly making excuses, what would you think of that person?

If you hired someone that had no authority but constantly criticized the leadership, shouted negative opinions, and alienated coworkers that were passionate about the business, cause, and fellow humans, what would you think of that person?
smitty329
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:32 am

smitty329 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:What is certain is that we shouldn't lower ourselves to personal attacks -- attacks that include attempts at reading a man's mind as to his motivations. As far as I can see, Tim Jankovich is a good man and a coach who's doing everything in his power to help us win. Not a popular take in this cancel culture, but there it is.

If you hired someone and paid them handsomely to do a job, and they rewarded you by putting in practically zero effort and constantly making excuses, what would you think of that person?

If you hired someone that had no authority but constantly criticized the leadership, shouted negative opinions, and alienated coworkers that were passionate about the business, cause, and fellow humans, what would you think of that person?

I’d think “Man, this guy is a real pain in the butt” and then I’d investigate what it is within our business that’s making an employee so passionately agitated. And then I’d realize that a certain exec in our company is putting forth no effort whatsoever, production and revenues in his department have fallen off significantly after being handed a plum role from his predecessor, and instead of doing anything proactive to remediate said reduction in production, this exec just whines and make excuses and blames other people. I would then fire that exec.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:35 am

I'd probably fire both.
mustangxc

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:04 am

ponyboy wrote:Depends on who "we" is. If "we" means us fans then I'm going with jtstang's philosophy that we should have moderate expectations. If "we" means the people who actually have the power to do what it takes to get us to perennial Top 25 status, then I agree. That should be the goal.

I have a big question about whether beating a drum constantly to run a guy off really helps in the end. I really don't know. What is certain is that we shouldn't lower ourselves to personal attacks -- attacks that include attempts at reading a man's mind as to his motivations. As far as I can see, Tim Jankovich is a good man and a coach who's doing everything in his power to help us win. Not a popular take in this cancel culture, but there it is.

Go Mustangs

I would love for you to specifically detail how Jank is doing everything in his power to help us win, but I expect the same response I got mustangabu.

BTW, being a good man or woman doesn’t mean you’re going to be good at doing a job.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:23 am

mustangxc wrote:I'd probably fire both.

Touché. Whatever gets rid of the cancer infecting our basketball program.
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:26 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Depends on who "we" is. If "we" means us fans then I'm going with jtstang's philosophy that we should have moderate expectations. If "we" means the people who actually have the power to do what it takes to get us to perennial Top 25 status, then I agree. That should be the goal.

I have a big question about whether beating a drum constantly to run a guy off really helps in the end. I really don't know. What is certain is that we shouldn't lower ourselves to personal attacks -- attacks that include attempts at reading a man's mind as to his motivations. As far as I can see, Tim Jankovich is a good man and a coach who's doing everything in his power to help us win. Not a popular take in this cancel culture, but there it is.

Go Mustangs

I would love for you to specifically detail how Jank is doing everything in his power to help us win, but I expect the same response I got mustangabu.

BTW, being a good man or woman doesn’t mean you’re going to be good at doing a job.

Anyone who’s ponied up for a subscription to the SMU 247 site has known for years what an atrocious job Jank is doing in terms of recruiting.ponyboy is just willfully ignorant, I suppose.
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Hal wrote:And he has as many NCAA wins as LB had. Yes, they should have wins over UCLA and USC ... but don't.

He's no John Wooden, but it's not he's Shumate or Doherty, either.

Give Doh the facilities and resources that LB/Jank have had, and hand him a roster with 4 NBA players and Jarrey Foster to start with and I guarantee you he’d do better than the Self-Imposed Janktion.
East Coast Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Stallion wrote:In fact, SMU's football program in the mid-1980s under Bobby Collins was going to be mediocre even if they hadn't gotten the last Death Penalty program because SMU recruiting was drastically heading south because of the multiple, prior probations.

Larry Brown owns that probation which makes an analysis of Jank's tenure a little more complicated.

Yep, I was there, and certainly Bobby Collins’ recruiting went down, but to compare it to tank’s is unfair.

It’s like replacing at top notch driver who can go 200 MPH at Daytona with either Bobby C who can drive it at 160 MPH or Timmy J who goes 80 MPH. Doesn’t take long to see there is no future with 1 of them.

As for your LB comment, I also disagree. On so many levels, our administration owns it, not LB.

Not providing Keith Frazier legal representation when he met with the NCAA goon squad is malfeasance.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:49 pm

SMU, the school that hemorrhages cash for 30 years with it Athletics, with some uncertainty and risk, hit the Lotto with Larry Brown.

But given his past, they undoubtedly know the baggage that comes with him.

Then don’t protect him when a minor infraction occurs, which ultimately gets blown out of proportion by our own ineptitude.

UNC commits academic fraud for nearly 20 years, then fights the NCAA for over 5 years and gets off with a hand slap.

That ain’t on Larry Brown. Shame on anyone who thinks so.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustang1992 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Jank is a good guy, but a below avg coach. Look at his record as a head coach. I said this years ago, he was playing with house money (when SMU was winning, those were LBs players), we would see his real ability when this was his team.

Reading ponyfans is like watching that Seinfeld episode, "they can be smart with rockets, but dumb with double parking." Some people on here post endless analysis of what the team is doing, some I still believe are AD moles, but then make some of the dumbest comments.

Jank is going nowhere, he will be back for another year, regardless of how the team finishes.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:46 pm

What a [deleted] beatdown.
One Trick Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:47 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:SMU, the school that hemorrhages cash for 30 years with it Athletics, with some uncertainty and risk, hit the Lotto with Larry Brown.

But given his past, they undoubtedly know the baggage that comes with him.

Then don’t protect him when a minor infraction occurs, which ultimately gets blown out of proportion by our own ineptitude.

UNC commits academic fraud for nearly 20 years, then fights the NCAA for over 5 years and gets off with a hand slap.

That ain’t on Larry Brown. Shame on anyone who thinks so.

You are spot on.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:57 am

One Trick Pony wrote:What a [deleted] beatdown.

Yes, watching Tim Jankovich systematically dismantle our basketball program with his laziness and incompetence is a [deleted] beatdown. Unfortunately we’re probably stuck with this complete joker for another season.
East Coast Mustang

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:24 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:What a [deleted] beatdown.

Yes, watching Tim Jankovich systematically dismantle our basketball program with his laziness and incompetence is a [deleted] beatdown. Unfortunately we’re probably stuck with this complete joker for another season.
Perhaps if you kept your vomiting to one thread in regards to it would be appreciated by those who like to live their life in a little
More Constructive or positive environment .

Or you can really pull the plug on him and refuse to give $250 to the Mustang club or show up to any home games .
One Trick Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:49 pm

OTP- shocked that you are defending this 'coach?'
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball