PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game thread for MBB vs. Wichita State

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Game thread for MBB vs. Wichita State

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:51 pm

Where’s ponyboy to tell us it’s OK and Jank is doing everything he can? What an absolute disgrace.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:52 pm

:oops:
Bergermeister

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Life in Jankistan SUCKS!!!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Jolly 3 rims out
Mike fouls Echenique on rebound
64-62
7.6 to go

Burton misses layup
Dennis follows

Final: 66-62
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby used to be 2 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:54 pm

I guess this loss blows the re-seat schedule.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Have to admit I am now on board with getting rid of Jank. Critical point of this game for me was when we were up 24 and WSU hit 2 consecutive wide open threes to make it an 18 point game...and Jank just sits back not recognizing the change of momentum and doing nothing to try and stop it right then and there. That was when a TO was needed and a reminder that this team has made a living out of blowing big leads with defensive laziness, but no...I guess Jank was comfortable that we couldn't possibly blow that big of a lead.

Our guys started playing lazy, walking the ball up and not forcing the action offensively. Started playing tired and/or lazy, soft defense giving WSU wide open look after wide open look and momentum totally changed. And why in the world did C.J. White get so many minutes during that collapse? He added nothing from what I could see.

That was absolutely the most pathetic collapse I've ever witnessed in all the years I've watched SMU basketball. Larry Brown must be ashamed of his protege's coaching job today.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:00 pm

WSU just wanted this one more than our guys. They rebounded 50% of their missed shots. Our guys just stunk up Moody in that 2nd half. Stick a fork in this team...I think they are done.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:WSU just wanted this one more than our guys. They rebounded 50% of their missed shots. Our guys just stunk up Moody in that 2nd half. Stick a fork in this team...I think they are done.

Precisely why I welcome a mass exodus including Davis, Mike, Jolly.
mustangxc

Postby Mustang1980 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:10 pm

soccermom wrote:When your team blows a 24 point lead, you need to be fired. Pathetic. Just pathetic.

Amen!!!!!
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:12 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:WSU just wanted this one more than our guys. They rebounded 50% of their missed shots. Our guys just stunk up Moody in that 2nd half. Stick a fork in this team...I think they are done.

Precisely why I welcome a mass exodus including Davis, Mike, Jolly.

I wouldn't go that far because I think this roster has potential, but Jank is not the guy who is going to get the best out of them. I would guess that Gregg Marshall told his team at half "all uoui need to do is knock down a couple of shots and this team will fold". After all, our guys have been doing it all season long. No killer instinct whatsoever.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:23 pm

That was tough to witness. Jank had seemingly no idea how to stop the rot. But he let the energy go out of the team. It is a very worrying sign about his coaching ability. We were owning them. It was fluid, accurate and devastating. And in 2 minutes it was gone.

How they respond to this will be key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:That was tough to witness. Jank had seemingly no idea how to stop the rot. But he let the energy go out of the team. It is a very worrying sign about his coaching ability. We were owning them. It was fluid, accurate and devastating. And in 2 minutes it was gone.

How they respond to this will be key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know how they will respond. This is a soft team that chokes, and it’s because Jank is a soft loser who has no business being a HC at this level.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
That was absolutely the most pathetic collapse I've ever witnessed in all the years I've watched SMU basketball. Larry Brown must be ashamed of his protege's coaching job today.

Jank isn’t LB’s protege, he was forced upon him as coach in waiting because of Larry’s age. Huge mistake from the very beginning.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby friarwolf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Have to admit I am now on board with getting rid of Jank. Critical point of this game for me was when we were up 24 and WSU hit 2 consecutive wide open threes to make it an 18 point game...and Jank just sits back not recognizing the change of momentum and doing nothing to try and stop it right then and there. That was when a TO was needed and a reminder that this team has made a living out of blowing big leads with defensive laziness, but no...I guess Jank was comfortable that we couldn't possibly blow that big of a lead.

Our guys started playing lazy, walking the ball up and not forcing the action offensively. Started playing tired and/or lazy, soft defense giving WSU wide open look after wide open look and momentum totally changed. And why in the world did C.J. White get so many minutes during that collapse? He added nothing from what I could see.

Welcome!!! nice to have you on board
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby friarwolf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:36 pm

friarwolf wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Have to admit I am now on board with getting rid of Jank. Critical point of this game for me was when we were up 24 and WSU hit 2 consecutive wide open threes to make it an 18 point game...and Jank just sits back not recognizing the change of momentum and doing nothing to try and stop it right then and there. That was when a TO was needed and a reminder that this team has made a living out of blowing big leads with defensive laziness, but no...I guess Jank was comfortable that we couldn't possibly blow that big of a lead.

Jank was never LB’s protege....He was just a dude hanging around thinking “we should shoot more 3’s and why are we worried about positioning on the defensive end? I could be learning the chord progression on Petty’s “Even the Losers”...........
friarwolf
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball