PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BREAKING: Jankovirus will cause Moody to be empty next year

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BREAKING: Jankovirus will cause Moody to be empty next year

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 pm

He can’t come back. He has ruined this program, it is dead, dead, dead. Why would anyone renew their season tickets when Wichita fans were gobbling them up for $2 on Sunday? I feel bad for the players on this team like Mike, Davis, Jolly and Feron who actually seem to give a [deleted], they deserve better than a coach who is completely incompetent, makes no effort to be successful and has sucked all energy and enthusiasm out of a program that was on the rise just a few short years ago.

We are now 1-7(!) on the road in conference play and have lost on the road to the four teams at the bottom of the standings: ECU, Temple, UCF and Tulane. None of this should be acceptable.

Repeat after me: JANK MUST GO
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: BREAKING: Jankovirus will cause Moody to be empty next y

Postby dalpony » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:40 am

Jank must go
dalpony
Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:11 am

dalpony wrote:Jank must go

Big Al agrees.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby BUS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:13 am

Until Sunday I was on board for letting Jank work his program and saw a few things getting better.

How in the world do you make the choice to tell your team to play prevent D and work the clock when you are kicking somebody's rump.

Jank is weak. SMU does not need weak.

So, after Sunday I accepted the reality and the last night. Good Grief Charlie Brown.

Jank must go.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Arkpony » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:24 am

I my dream I see Jank being let go and the on-going secret negotiations with Pitino being revealed whereby he signs a multi year contract to coach the Mustangs. Then I awake to find Jank still our coach for next year. :(
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:18 am

SMU has made surprise splash hires in the recent past with JJ in football and of course LB. Can the powers that be make it a trifecta by getting Pitino? I agree with the poster who said SMU just needs to "embrace what we are", i.e., the school that always seems to be in the probation spotlight. Bring Pitino in to see whether he can be closer LB was in getting some NBA talent into the program. I'd like to think he won't need hookers to get it done in Big D
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:49 am

Jank is soft. Team is soft. SMU is soft. Lap boy Hart is soft.

Jank isn't going anywhere. It's a match made in heaven.
Pony ^

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Friday the 13th is approaching.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:08 pm

So is April Fool’s Day
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:56 pm

Unfortunately it is not what the fans want, it is what lapboy and the $guys want and they don't give a rats arse about the fans.
redpony

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:06 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Friday the 13th is approaching.

Mrydel: So is April Fool’s Day

So is the Ides of March as well as St. Patrick's Day. Lots of "opportunities"
Bergermeister

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:12 pm

Et tu Bergermister
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:23 pm

Assuming this year's team is not going to shock all of us by winning the AAC Tourney and auto bid to the NCAAs, I would love to see the powers that be at SMU make a statement by firing Jank and bringing in Rick Pitino. I'm now in agreement with others that this is probably SMU's only hope of getting this program and Moody back to what it was in the Larry Brown era and it would make headlines around the country.

However, I think we all know it's unlikely Jank is terminated given this year's story line of his having no seniors and the possibility of returning everyone that contributed this year, plus the addition of at least McNeill who should improve our backcourt depth. If everyone comes back, if McNeill improves the backcourt as expected and if Jank & Co can free up a roster spot or two and add an impact big or two, I think there could be a renewed enthusiasm for what could be a much improved team.

That's a lot of ifs but at this point, I'm just hoping the program doesn't get burned to the ground and we have to start all over again. Even the 1500 have limited patience.
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Assuming this year's team is not going to shock all of us by winning the AAC Tourney and auto bid to the NCAAs, I would love to see the powers that be at SMU make a statement by firing Jank and bringing in Rick Pitino. I'm now in agreement with others that this is probably SMU's only hope of getting this program and Moody back to what it was in the Larry Brown era and it would make headlines around the country.

However, I think we all know it's unlikely Jank is terminated given this year's story line of his having no seniors and the possibility of returning everyone that contributed this year, plus the addition of at least McNeill who should improve our backcourt depth. If everyone comes back, if McNeill improves the backcourt as expected and if Jank & Co can free up a roster spot or two and add an impact big or two, I think there could be a renewed enthusiasm for what could be a much improved team.

That's a lot of ifs but at this point, I'm just hoping the program doesn't get burned to the ground and we have to start all over again. Even the 1500 have limited patience.

The program has already been burned to the ground. We could dig up Red Auerbach’s corpse and he still wouldnt be able to fumigate the stench of soft, unaccountable mediocrity that Jank has spread throughout our basketball program overnight; it will take time. The next coach will inherit a massive rebuilding job, both in talent but moreso in terms of culture.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:59 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:The program has already been burned to the ground. We could dig up Red Auerbach’s corpse and he still wouldnt be able to fumigate the stench of soft, unaccountable mediocrity that Jank has spread throughout our basketball program overnight; it will take time. The next coach will inherit a massive rebuilding job, both in talent but moreso in terms of culture.

Going to have to disagree as this roster has shown it can be competitive but clearly there are weak spots that need to be filled/upgraded/recruited over. If I'm the decision maker, I want to know Jank's plan on how he is going to improve the roster next year and it better not just be that "we have McNeill eligible and everyone coming back with another year's experience". I actually like the backcourt SMU will have next year but this team desperately needs a couple of low post guys who can come in and have an immediate impact.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball