PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Penultimate letdown of the regular season (SMU at UCF)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Penultimate letdown of the regular season (SMU at UCF)

Postby JasonB » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Once again SMU gets killed in the low post. Jasey and Chargois contributed 0 points and 3 rebounds between and needed Mike to spent a good part of his night trying to guard Collin Smith.

If Jank somehow survives this season, I sure hope there is a plan to churn this roster and get some low post help for next year

Jasey has been pretty disappointing as a transfer. Clearly a reason he wasn't seeing minutes t A&M.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyswim » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:42 pm

I don't think you can just stay in Florida and hang out per NCAA rules.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 pm

ponyswim wrote:I don't think you can just stay in Florida and hang out per NCAA rules.

Surely if UConn is doing the texas or Florida trip, they don't go home in between games.
Pony ^

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:51 pm

ponyswim wrote:I don't think you can just stay in Florida and hang out per NCAA rules.

Hanging out on the beach in Florida for a few days did wonders for our football team.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:44 pm

They can practice and study though.

On the bright side if we lose Saturday we can blame travel fatigue.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:44 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

They can practice and study though.

On the bright side if we lose Saturday we can blame travel fatigue.

Not to mention possibly not having enough time to get in a good 5 on 5 practice!
Charleston Pony

Postby LexLen » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Disappointing game from Mike.

Been watching him as a draft option. Shooting splits are impressive.

What are the chance he can come out and do well at next level?
LexLen

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:35 pm

he occasionally decides to play defense-lazy on the close out-can play at a much higher level than he has achieved so far
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyswim » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 pm

It is the third close game that Davis has turned the ball over in the last minute by losing his dribble.
ECU, Temple, UCF. Many other reasons why SMU did not win those games, BUT I think Davis is not quite ready to be the player we hope he will be. A year from now I would not expect him to make the same mistakes.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:08 pm

ponyswim wrote:It is the third close game that Davis has turned the ball over in the last minute by losing his dribble.
ECU, Temple, UCF. Many other reasons why SMU did not win those games, BUT I think Davis is not quite ready to be the player we hope he will be. A year from now I would not expect him to make the same mistakes.

Nic had boneheaded turnovers his sophomore season as well. Davis won't be the problem as we move forward.

Hunt's visible frustration, waiving off the sub after his fourth foul... he and Jank still aren't getting along. Something to keep an eye on in the offseason.

Mike to the NBA? He hasn't hit that level of athleticism yet. Nice shooter and has length. Very good college wing. But the reason he is slow to close the long shot is because he isn't quite there athletically and has to play off his man defensively or he will get beat on the dribble.
JasonB

Postby horsemanx » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:18 pm

JasonB wrote:Nic had boneheaded turnovers his sophomore season as well. Davis won't be the problem as we move forward.

Hunt's visible frustration, waiving off the sub after his fourth foul... he and Jank still aren't getting along. Something to keep an eye on in the offseason.

Mike to the NBA? He hasn't hit that level of athleticism yet. Nice shooter and has length. Very good college wing. But the reason he is slow to close the long shot is because he isn't quite there athletically and has to play off his man defensively or he will get beat on the dribble.

Good summary.

Mike does seem like the kind of player who has some potential at the next level, but he clearly does compensate defensively to avoid getting beat off the dribble.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:10 pm

I could for sure see Mike grad transferring after this season i
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:23 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I could for sure see Mike grad transferring after this season i

Yep, or going pro in Europe. I just hope our new coach can convince him to stay one more year.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:41 pm

JasonB wrote:
ponyswim wrote:It is the third close game that Davis has turned the ball over in the last minute by losing his dribble.

Nic had boneheaded turnovers his sophomore season as well. Davis won't be the problem as we move forward.

Let's not forget that Nic had to sit a year between his FR & Soph seasons but got the benefit of a year's coaching from Larry Brown, so age/maturity wise, Davis is still a year behind Nic. We can only hope that Davis comes back stronger next season and can turn it up another notch from what has already been a pretty impressive Soph season.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Davis had one of the greatest halves -ever-for a PG but yes he made a mistake. He had like 7 assists in the 2nd half alone

He might have run out of gas toward the end but the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half was superior with Davis setting up at least 5 easy dunks by penetrating drivers to the basket. It was freaking awesome

I didn't get back from work to see the lovely first half though
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball