PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best basketball moment live

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Best basketball moment live

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 am

ponyte wrote:'79 defeat in Moody against the Whores. Reggie Franklin (6'4" center) dominated and the football team sat behind the Whores' bench to give Abe Lemons some pointers. Reggie was beyond the Zone and one could see the fear in the Whores' players during timeouts.

That was a great game!
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:25 am

ponyte wrote:'79 defeat in Moody against the Whores. Reggie Franklin (6'4" center) dominated and the football team sat behind the Whores' bench to give Abe Lemons some pointers. Reggie was beyond the Zone and one could see the fear in the Whores' players during timeouts.

I remember Reggie with a tip in at the buzzer to beat Houston but not sure what year that was. I always thought Reggie was 6'5" but no doubt he was an "undersized" center very capable of clearing space in the low post.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Louisville early 80s.
LSU in the NIT
RGV Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:38 pm

The “shot” by Nic Moore against Cal. Thought the roof was going to blow off of Moody when the crowd started cheering.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Sitting directly behind Guy Lewis and Phi Slama Jama at Moody.

Two of the greatest players in basketball history, Hakeem and Clyde were on that Coogs team, as well as Michael Young, another 1st round NBA’er.

Great game, back and forth, until Clyde Drexler decided it late with an amazing dunk launched almost at the free-throw line.

Lots of celebrating on the Coog bench afterwards.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Dukie » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:32 am

The 2017 AAC tournament final win over Cincy in Hartford. At least I got to be there for the last truly happy/hopeful moment.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am

RGV Pony wrote:Louisville early 80s.
LSU in the NIT

I remember being at that Louisville game. They had to bring in extra (temporary) lighting for the old Moody because the game was on national TV and Moody had poor lighting in those days. Just part of our "home court advantage" back then.
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:28 am

Great thread. Thanks, Terry.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:32 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Great thread. Thanks, Terry.

You should hear my sermons...
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smuheritagehall » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi Guys,
When I was a senior at Corsicana High School, and in between a couple of my high school games, I had the opportunity to come to SMU with one of my best high school buddies, Jimmy Nutt, to see a couple of SMU freshman basketball games during the 53-54 season. Jimmy Nutt, my buddy, was the younger brother of Duane Nutt who was going to be SMU's starting QB for the 54 season. I came because of a freshman center who was playing for the SMU Colts. His name was Jim Krebs, a 6'8" center from Webster Groves, Missouri. Joe Perkins Gym was packed at 6:00 for the freshman games and the varsity game did not start until 8:00. The first game I saw was against the Baylor freshmen and Jim had over 30 points. Also on that team was a guard, Bobby Mills, from St. Louis. Bobby had over 20 that night. Bobby is still one of my dear friends today. The thrills that we all had during those years were the Golden Years of SMU basketball. The starting five during our run to the final four during the 55-56 season were all truly great basketball players and we had a coach, Doc Hayes, who the players loved. That starting five was Joel Krog, from Ashland, Kentucky, Larry Showalter from Dallas, Jim Krebs from Webster Groves, Missouri, Bobby Mills, from St. Louis and Ronnie Morris, from Shawnee, Oklahoma. Bob Prewitt was the assistant coach. Tom Miller from Dallas and Rick Herrscher from St. Louis were the top subs. I was not at the Final Four which was at Northwestern because it was during the school week -- but my fraternity brothers and I went to Ft. Worth, Austin, Waco, College Station, and Houston for the games. We went because we knew would probably win. We did not go to Arkansas because it was so hard to get to.
Time has taken it's toll and the only survivors are Mills, Miller, and Herrscher. Sometime we still get together at Kuby's with Brad Bradley and talk about those days. There is a picture on the back wall at Kubys of our group.
I am happy to say that I had four years of "best basketball moments" watching great players make us all proud to be Mustangs!
smuheritagehall

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 am

smuheritagehall wrote:Hi Guys,
When I was a senior at Corsicana High School, and in between a couple of my high school games, I had the opportunity to come to SMU with one of my best high school buddies, Jimmy Nutt, to see a couple of SMU freshman basketball games during the 53-54 season. Jimmy Nutt, my buddy, was the younger brother of Duane Nutt who was going to be SMU's starting QB for the 54 season. I came because of a freshman center who was playing for the SMU Colts. His name was Jim Krebs, a 6'8" center from Webster Groves, Missouri. Joe Perkins Gym was packed at 6:00 for the freshman games and the varsity game did not start until 8:00. The first game I saw was against the Baylor freshmen and Jim had over 30 points. Also on that team was a guard, Bobby Mills, from St. Louis. Bobby had over 20 that night. Bobby is still one of my dear friends today. The thrills that we all had during those years were the Golden Years of SMU basketball. The starting five during our run to the final four during the 55-56 season were all truly great basketball players and we had a coach, Doc Hayes, who the players loved. That starting five was Joel Krog, from Ashland, Kentucky, Larry Showalter from Dallas, Jim Krebs from Webster Groves, Missouri, Bobby Mills, from St. Louis and Ronnie Morris, from Shawnee, Oklahoma. Bob Prewitt was the assistant coach. Tom Miller from Dallas and Rick Herrscher from St. Louis were the top subs. I was not at the Final Four which was at Northwestern because it was during the school week -- but my fraternity brothers and I went to Ft. Worth, Austin, Waco, College Station, and Houston for the games. We went because we knew would probably win. We did not go to Arkansas because it was so hard to get to.
Time has taken it's toll and the only survivors are Mills, Miller, and Herrscher. Sometime we still get together at Kuby's with Brad Bradley and talk about those days. There is a picture on the back wall at Kubys of our group.
I am happy to say that I had four years of "best basketball moments" watching great players make us all proud to be Mustangs!

Great story. I remember playing pick up games in Perkins with some of the guys who played for SMU in the '70-'72 time frame, before Perkins was torn down. Of course we had Moody by then and I never really thought about those great teams of the early 50's actually playing games in Perkins. What could the seating capacity have even been?
Charleston Pony

Postby smuheritagehall » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am

A little over 2,000!
smuheritagehall

Postby used to be 2 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:41 am

Charleston, you may have played with Miller, Rollins, Delzell, Korver, Fleetwood, Triplett, as well as the freshman class of; Tuszynski, Billik, Thiel, etc.

Perkins Gym has no AC and it has Hot, Hot, Hot.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Not a best moment per se, but one of my favorite memories was watching Mike Wilson, our all-SWC guard and 92-93 SWC POY. We had seats in what is now the red section. Sat a few games with Mike's mom, which was always fun.

Gerald Lewis, Greg Kinzler, Chad Allen and others on that team from the Shumate era.
ponyboy

Postby PonyTime » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm

1993: Chad Allen's three pointer vs Rice at Moody to win in OT at the buzzer in the final days of the SWC. Put SMU in drivers seat for a SWC Championship, which they later clinched on final day of season beating the Whorns (another great game).

All of the players ponyboy mentioned were a fun group to watch.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball