PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All time team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

All time team

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Stealing this from a UC site...who would you put on an all time SMU basketball team. It could be your best 5 or by position. I am having a rough time with this. I got Jim Krebs, Ira Terrell and Nic Moore for certain. Not quite where to go from there.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: All time team

Postby bubba pony » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 pm

Gene Phillips who got all his points when there was no 3 point line. if he had a 3 point shot his numbers would be much higher.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Jon Koncak? Stasser?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:08 pm

I’m going from 1994 to the present because that is who I’ve seen play. And I’m just going best five, not by position.

Nic
Sas
Sterling
Shake
Q

HM: Stephen Woods, Damon Hancock, Jay Poerner, MK, Ben Moore and Semi.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby giacfsp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 pm

That's tough, Terry. I'll go only with players I have seen, which leaves out the likes of Krebs, Phillips, Koncak, Terrell, etc.:

Jeryl Sasser
Nic Moore
Kato Armstrong
Quinton Ross
Shake Milton

Sixth man: Eric Longino
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:49 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I’m going from 1994 to the present because that is who I’ve seen play. And I’m just going best five, not by position.

Nic
Sas
Sterling
Shake
Q

HM: Stephen Woods, Damon Hancock, Jay Poerner, MK, Ben Moore and Semi.

Seems to me the order would be Nic, Semi, Shake, Sasser, and then it gets tough to pick. All of those players were good. And, hey, we can type Hancock now!
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Just remember this, a team comprised of John Koncak, Carl Wright, Butch Moore & Larry Davis defeated Kentucky & North Carolina on their home courts and ‘if’ they could have defeated Tech in Lubbock would have been ranked #1 in the nation, something no other SMU squad in over 50 years has remotely come close to accomplishing.

All-time team:
Krebs
Gene Phillips
Ira
Quinton Ross
Nic

Reserves:
Koncak
Sterling
Sasser
Kato Armstrong
Carl Wright
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:08 pm

bubba pony wrote:Gene Phillips who got all his points when there was no 3 point line. if he had a 3 point shot his numbers would be much higher.

Gene Phillips would have been an incredible 2/3 guy with the 3 point line. He's absolutely on my all-time team. Krebs/Koncak at C, Ira Terrell is absolutely my 4, I do like Sterling as my other 2/3 and PG is really tough between Nic, Butch Moore and even Billy Allen. I didn't see the guys from the 50's and 60's but because SMU and SWC basketball was lilly white back then, I tend to go with guys from the 70's and forward because of the level of competition vs the guys playing before the SWC was integrated. So may great players have come through here it's impossible to pick just 5 guys and I didn't even mention Shake, Kato, Markus...
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:10 pm

I started really paying attention with guys like Zack Thiel...I wonder how guys like him would have stacked up.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 pm

After Nic, Q is the best player to play at SMU post SWC. I don’t understand anyone’s top 5 without him.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 am

LA_Mustang wrote:After Nic, Q is the best player to play at SMU post SWC. I don’t understand anyone’s top 5 without him.

Q obviously had a better pro career, but Q vs Sasser vs Semi vs Carl Wright vs Sterling, etc...so may quality 2/3 guys have played at Moody it's tough to say anyone is an obvious starter.

I started following SMU in the 60's with Doc Hayes and watching the team with Holman, Beasley, Begert & Hooser reminds me that we've seen a lot of terrific players at the college level. Carlton McKinney (Bliss years?) was another 2/3 guy who could ball. I'm sure I'm forgetting others.
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:43 am

I was wondering how good Semi would have been for us if he had stayed his second year.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:04 am

My top 5 I have seen in person:
Semi
Shake
Q
Sasser
Nic
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:20 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

I started following SMU in the 60's with Doc Hayes and watching the team with Holman, Beasley, Begert & Hooser reminds me that we've seen a lot of terrific players at the college level. Carlton McKinney (Bliss years?) was another 2/3 guy who could ball. I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

I was actually a little earlier. Some of my favorites were Maxie Williams, Jan Loudermilk and JIm Hammond. Not in the same class as Krebs and Koncak but still very entertaining. loved Doc Hayes as a coach.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:26 am

One other Krebs fact. The Mustangs reached the Final Four with Krebs in 1956. In the semi-final game, they drew the short straw and had to play San Francisco featuring Bill Russell. Krebs outscored Russell 24-17 but the Mustangs were no match for the Dons. SMU won the 3rd place game besting the Temple Owls.
The next year, the Ponies and Krebs had to face Kansas earlier in the Tourney with a young fellow named Wilt Chamberlain and kept it close but eventually lost. No Mustang teams have ever made it that far since.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Next

Return to Basketball