PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best Other Sports Moment you witnessed in person

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Best Other Sports Moment you witnessed in person

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:38 am

I guess mine was my freshman year when our swimmers took on USC. The Trojans were loaded with Olympians. Jerry Heidenreich had graduated. USC had a lead going into diving. We swept the diving, and that meant whoever won the 200 free relay won the meet. Olympian John Nabor was anchoring the USC team, Paul Tietze was anchoring the Pony relay. On the anchor leg, Tietze entered the water about a body length behing Nabor. Caught him at the turn and then out-touched him to win the relay and the meet. The Nat was about a loud as any event I've attended.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Best Other Sports Moment you witnessed in person

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:08 pm

I think I was also there for that meet...but in my old mind I thought it was Indiana. Maybe it was a different meet because I seem to recall we beat Indy when they had a ridiculously long winning meet streak. Another great memory was during I think one of our last years in baseball when we were playing at Revershon (?) and we swept Texas. The crowd of students there for the game were pretty brutal.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:40 pm

I went to a dual swim meet against a highly ranked Michigan in the natatorium. Hot, humid, jam packed bleachers, and loudest sporting event I have ever witnessed. This was with Jerry H. We won the meet on the final relay by a matter of inches. Great memory.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Water Pony » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing these stories. Perkins Natatorium was an iconic sporting venue. With a capacity of 2k, even half full, was loud. Spectators were only 10 feet from the 6 lane pool. The pool was small but incredibly intimate for swimmers, divers and fans.

Thanks for recalling these memories. Unfortunately, I missed these meets, as I was in the Navy, having graduated in ‘68. When I left the campus, we had just won our 12th consecutive Southwest Conference Championship, undefeated in dual meets during my time on the hilltop (never loss to Longhorns, btw) and finished 5th, 7th and 5th in NCAA Championships during my varsity years.

These years in the mid-sixties were the foundation for our great years in the seventies and eighties, which included many Olympians and we launched our Women’s Teams, which enjoyed similar national prominence.

Back to the future with our new Aquatic Center!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:29 pm

I was scrolling through the pics on my phone and came up with another one for me. A few years ago my wife and I went to the SMU Cinci volleyball match up here and we were the only SMU folks other than a handful of parents. After the match Avery Acker came up into the stands to thank us and take pics with us. It was really nice moment from a terrific Mustang!
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports