PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question to the defenders

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question to the defenders

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:08 pm

of the current HC. We are obviously in the middle of an incredibly strange and dangerous time. Many are seeking the distraction of their school’s teams to discuss and debate. Why is the SMU basketball board so dead? A program that was top 25, recruiting at a high level and competing for championships three years ago. #itsallgood

Sonny is amazing and a godsend. All I want for the basketball program is a coach who is proud to be here and who will recruit and promote the program like any major program head coach should.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby PonySnob » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:41 am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mustangxc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:of the current HC. We are obviously in the middle of an incredibly strange and dangerous time. Many are seeking the distraction of their school’s teams to discuss and debate. Why is the SMU basketball board so dead? A program that was top 25, recruiting at a high level and competing for championships three years ago. #itsallgood

Sonny is amazing and a godsend. All I want for the basketball program is a coach who is proud to be here and who will recruit and promote the program like any major program head coach should.

We're stuck in purgatory with no open scholarships, no new recruits, and waiting on Isiah Mike and Feron Hunt to announce their return. Until the administration makes a move on Jankovich, which at this point would be a huge mistake given what is going on in the world and the fact that we snoozed on the surefire upgrade (Rick Ptino), there is not much to look forward to. I would have fired Jankovich at the end of last season and again at the end of this season. However, doing so now would create an impossible situation for the new head coach as he is unable to meet with the team and limited in his ability to recruit, which would lead to anxiety for all parties. At this point we need to take our lumps with Jankovich one more season but the AD needs to make it public knowledge that this season is NCAA tournament or bust.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:10 pm

mustangxc wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:of the current HC. We are obviously in the middle of an incredibly strange and dangerous time. Many are seeking the distraction of their school’s teams to discuss and debate. Why is the SMU basketball board so dead? A program that was top 25, recruiting at a high level and competing for championships three years ago. #itsallgood

We're stuck in purgatory with no open scholarships, no new recruits, and waiting on Isiah Mike and Feron Hunt to announce their return. Until the administration makes a move on Jankovich, which at this point would be a huge mistake given what is going on in the world and the fact that we snoozed on the surefire upgrade (Rick Ptino), there is not much to look forward to. I would have fired Jankovich at the end of last season and again at the end of this season. However, doing so now would create an impossible situation for the new head coach as he is unable to meet with the team and limited in his ability to recruit, which would lead to anxiety for all parties. At this point we need to take our lumps with Jankovich one more season but the AD needs to make it public knowledge that this season is NCAA tournament or bust.

We have no open scholarships because Jank is a beta loser who cant even run the dead weight on this roster off to upgrade the talent level. Literally this pathetic excuse for a coach is incapable of putting forth the bare minimum in terms of effort. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking he’ll be back next season.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:01 am

I don't think there are any defenders of the current HC?
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:37 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:[
We have no open scholarships because Jank is a beta loser who cant even run the dead weight on this roster off to upgrade the talent level. Literally this pathetic excuse for a coach is incapable of putting forth the bare minimum in terms of effort. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking he’ll be back next season.

Nobody is disputing that. The fact remains that it is not a good time to make a move on the HC as his replacement would be unable to meet with the team, properly evaluate, and recruit upgraded replacements in time for the season. This time of uncertainty is the perfect storm for Jankovich to keep his job. I've never seen someone less deserving land more lucky breaks in my life. He is a cat with 9 lives.

JasonB wrote:I don't think there are any defenders of the current HC?

Correct! I think there are people who are accepting of the situation like ponyfan and Abu but no actual defenders.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:50 am

XC’s take is sad but true.

Hoops is stuck right now. It stinks but it is what it is.

I doubt, given the way the season ended, there’s anyone who will admit to being satisfied with Jank at the helm. Some may jump on the Jankistan excuse train though.

For gods sake you loser: schedule some damn tournaments. I hope you are enjoying your paid vacation.
You should be upgrading from the bottom up right now. Not hiding.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:29 pm

I think Hart needs to put pressure on Jankovich publicly by openly stating NCAA tournament expectations in a Q&A with Sam Blum. I also think that Hart needs to step in and force Jankovich to schedule a Holiday tournament and 1 or 2 Top 25 caliber OOC opponents. If he expects Jankovich to do it on his own he is even more incompetent than he has shown and at this point he has proven to be a bumbling idiot.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:26 pm

It is interesting that Pony snob shows a chart of oil prices to justify the inaction of our bball supporters. What isn't shown is that from May 2019 to the recent price fall the price of oil WTI was in the 60s and stayed in that general area for over 6 months.

The truth is they didn't care enough to make a change despite seeing the rapid decline in the program. As a result we will suffer through another year of sad performances. Meanwhile our AD has no cajones to push for a better program and to force this lazy incompetent coach to schedule quality teams for next season.
redpony

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Not to make excuses for leadership, but remember the season never finished. If he had done poorly in the tournament, as it was trending to do, they might have pulled the trigger - tho I doubt it, but it was possible.

Can’t really fault leadership for not firing when no one knew how long this thing would last. Worked out well for jank.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Rick isnt blameless but he gets a lot more blame than he should. He didn’t hire Jank and he cant fire him without booster support.
East Coast Mustang

Postby redpony » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:02 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Rick isnt blameless but he gets a lot more blame than he should. He didn’t hire Jank and he cant fire him without booster support.

ECM- IIRC he hired both LB and Jank. If not then who did?
I agree that he can't make any moves without booster support and of course that has evaporated.

I would be thrilled to see little ricky go along with Jank. He has more negative things to our bball program than should be permitted.
redpony

Postby ClickClack » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:08 pm

redpony wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Rick isnt blameless but he gets a lot more blame than he should. He didn’t hire Jank and he cant fire him without booster support.

I agree that he can't make any moves without booster support and of course that has evaporated.

I would be thrilled to see little ricky go along with Jank. He has more negative things to our bball program than should be permitted.

He hired LB and LB assembled his staff and made Jank HCIW (which never should have happened)
ClickClack
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:46 pm

redpony wrote:

Rick was hired in July 2012. Larry/Jank were hired in April 2012.
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm

Wasn't Turner involved in the decision to hire LB and Orsini was not happy about it? I thought LB's hiring was conditioned on his having a HC in waiting and that LB decided on Jank after consulting his college coaching connections? Might be wrong but that was the way I remembered it.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball