PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question to the defenders

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby Zman89 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 am

friarwolf wrote:He is neither a good recruiter or a good developer of talent. He is marginal at best at both of those things. He is good at being the good cop as an assistant but he destroys everything when he is in charge. Anyone that thinks we are going to be marginally better next year knows nothing about learning from history. He is lazy and he has created a lazy excuse riddled environment. Remember, Nic Moore chafed under Brown's constant criticism to be better. Now, I am sure he is thankful Brown came into his life. Nic Moore under Janks's tutelage for 4 years would look similar to Kendrick Davis......

Coach Brown did get on Nic a lot an as we were saying back here in Warsaw in time LB would see why Jank recruited Nic. Bobby Knight said it best "Moore is the type of PG that sees three moves ahead on the plays he's instructed to run". We were used to seeing that in high school with Nic.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 am

If anybody needs another reason that our AD should be fired because of his lazy incompetent actions they need to read the comments posted in the new golf coach section of'other sports' blog. In addition to giving our pathetic bball coach a contract that was totally out of place, screwing over the loyal fans on the reseat he has also refused to do due diligence in replacing the golf coach. He virtually refused to interview a major coach who was very interested in the position. He has also failed miserably regarding the monitoring of actions by the women's bball coach which created substantial negative publicity for the university.
Guess being a lapdog for RGT has its' privileges.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:34 am

redpony wrote:If anybody needs another reason that our AD should be fired because of his lazy incompetent actions they need to read the comments posted in the new golf coach section of'other sports' blog. In addition to giving our pathetic bball coach a contract that was totally out of place, screwing over the loyal fans on the reseat he has also refused to do due diligence in replacing the golf coach. He virtually refused to interview a major coach who was very interested in the position. He has also failed miserably regarding the monitoring of actions by the women's bball coach which created substantial negative publicity for the university.

You forgot to mention he absolutely nailed the most important hire he can make - head football coach
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby redpony » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:36 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
You forgot to mention he absolutely nailed the most important hire he can make - head football coach

Yes, and you or I could been the AD and hired him. He was intent on coming here and a selling job was not required.
redpony

Postby Higher Authority » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Not true. Other ADs could have hired Sonny Dykes and didn't.

If you're going to blame Hart for bad hires, you have to give him credit for good hires. As for Parra, those comments came from what sounds like either a friend/family member of a player, or maybe someone who knows a coach who was hoping to get the job, and the poster offered no explanation of how he knew how many coaches were interviewed, etc. I don't claim to know college golf, but those comments are the only ones I have ever seen about Parra that were not rave reviews of his ability as a recruiter and a teacher. Since none of us knows how many coaches really were interviewed or anything about the hiring process, the result is at best "too early to tell."

Where did SMU finish in the rankings? 13? When is the last time we finished that high?
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby friarwolf » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 pm

redpony wrote:If anybody needs another reason that our AD should be fired because of his lazy incompetent actions they need to read the comments posted in the new golf coach section of'other sports' blog. In addition to giving our pathetic bball coach a contract that was totally out of place, screwing over the loyal fans on the reseat he has also refused to do due diligence in replacing the golf coach. He virtually refused to interview a major coach who was very interested in the position. He has also failed miserably regarding the monitoring of actions by the women's bball coach which created substantial negative publicity for the university.

ECM, Typically I am in agreement with you but he didn't nail Sonny's hire. He went cheap as he always does and stumbled into a motivated coach out to prove everyone wrong. If he had had to pay Sonny full rate, he would have passed. He got lucky...................
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:09 am

Make no mistake, Hart is an idiot! However, not everyone was on board with hiring Sonny Dykes and he absolutely nailed that hire. I'm not familiar with the golf search, but continuity given the current strength of the program seems like a reasonable course of action.
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:12 pm

If only we had legacies worth recruiting! :roll: :mrgreen:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -longhorns
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:05 pm

friarwolf wrote:

ECM, Typically I am in agreement with you but he didn't nail Sonny's hire. He went cheap as he always does and stumbled into a motivated coach out to prove everyone wrong. If he had had to pay Sonny full rate, he would have passed. He got lucky...................

Plenty of people were skeptical of the hire at the time. We had other options. He flamed out at Cal despite having a QB that went #1 overall in the draft. Sonny was the perfect hire and Rick nailed it. Give him credit.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby redpony » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:35 am

ECM- IIRC he also hired the 'used car salesman' and that didn't turn out so well. I am also surprised at you defending him as he has done all he can to make sure trashovich didn't lose his job by scheduling mostly h.s. grade teams for the ooc.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:09 am

redpony wrote:ECM- IIRC he also hired the 'used car salesman' and that didn't turn out so well. I am also surprised at you defending him as he has done all he can to make sure trashovich didn't lose his job by scheduling mostly h.s. grade teams for the ooc.

Chad Morris didn't turn out to be a great hire but I liked the hire at the time. Morris was coming from a high profile program at Clemson and brought an enthusiasm that was clearly lacking under June Jones. Morris clearly had ambitions beyond the SMU job and it certainly appears the Peter Principle caught up to him but he at least rekindled relationships with Texas H.S. coaches and had a staff that worked hard at recruiting which that was a much needed change coming out of the JJ era.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:07 am

CP- don't disagree with your comments. However, IMO he came here only to get to texas and then he would start looking for a better situation.
I still wonder about the JJ situation. I think things happened where he was not treated truthfully and just decided to bide his time until he could make a change. He also brought us back to winning our first bowl games in many years. Don't get me wrong- I think he walked out on the school and left us in the lurch.
redpony

Postby Pony81 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:50 am

IMO Rick’s done a good job with his FB coach hires. Please remember that JJ left SMU as one of the worst programs in the country. We were historically bad by almost every statical Measure.
Everyone knew Chad was using SMU as a steppingstone and even Rick admitted as much while acknowledging if he was hired away it would mean we had at least some measure of success.

CM was the first SMU coach to be hired away since Ron Meyer. Let that sink in.

Rick’s signature blunder was the reseat. It pissed me off to the point I canceled my BB and FB season tickets and also stopped my MC donations which enabled me to sit in the best seats.
Now i go if I’m feeling it and my schedule allows.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:56 am

You nailed it "Pony 81". The basketball re-seat was in the top 5 worst decisions ever by the
SMU athletic Dept. and they have made quite a few in the 60 years I've followed the program.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Joe Exotic's Pony » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:35 pm

A thread on reseating fans.

https://twitter.com/dynamicpricers/stat ... 7514109957

Notable tweet on comments made by Mich. AD on reseating fans at the Learfield IMG College Intercollegiate Athletics Forum:

Very important take on reseating a stadium/arena, and I agree-
@UMich
AD
@WardeManuel
saying he “would never reseat a venue given the relationships fans have developed in the same seats over the years. That’s the quickest way to lose fans.” #SBJIAF
Joe Exotic's Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball