PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question to the defenders

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:53 pm

It’s easy to blast the reseat in hindsight, but Rick and the admin couldn’t have known when they planned it (IIRC after the 16-17 season, but going into effect in 18-19) that Jank would completely quit on the program and sabotage everything that had been built. We were coming off three straight seasons of being ranked in the top ten and tickets had been an absolute bargain for the product we got to enjoy on the court. We’re not a P5 and we don’t get P5 TV money, it had to come from somewhere.

Yes, it could’ve been handled much much better, but if Jank had put in just one iota of effort to keep this thing going there likely would be a lot less complaints about it. But yeah, I’ll definitely concede that drastically increased ticket prices paired with a garbage on court product is not a good look. I know there are some longtime STHs who had supported the program for years through thick and thin who got displaced, and they were not happy about it.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:57 pm

redpony wrote:ECM- IIRC he also hired the 'used car salesman' and that didn't turn out so well. I am also surprised at you defending him as he has done all he can to make sure trashovich didn't lose his job by scheduling mostly h.s. grade teams for the ooc.
From what I’ve heard, Rick has directly told Jank to upgrade the schedule. I guess it fell on deaf ears, though.

As for Chad, he took over arguably the worst roster in the FBS and had us in a bowl three years later. We all knew he was looking to get out, but he made the job a lot more desirable for the next coach. Yes, I wish he’d won more games and not hired Van Malone to be his DC but he left the place a lot better than he found it. He was also a home run hire at the time and I believe he turned down Houston to come to SMU.
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:27 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:It’s easy to blast the reseat in hindsight, but Rick and the admin couldn’t have known when they planned it (IIRC after the 16-17 season, but going into effect in 18-19) that Jank would completely quit on the program and sabotage everything that had been built. We were coming off three straight seasons of being ranked in the top ten and tickets had been an absolute bargain for the product we got to enjoy on the court. We’re not a P5 and we don’t get P5 TV money, it had to come from somewhere.

Yes, it could’ve been handled much much better, but if Jank had put in just one iota of effort to keep this thing going there likely would be a lot less complaints about it. But yeah, I’ll definitely concede that drastically increased ticket prices paired with a garbage on court product is not a good look. I know there are some longtime STHs who had supported the program for years through thick and thin who got displaced, and they were not happy about it.

Are you Hart’s lap boy? It is the singularly dumbest decision in modern SMU history! It was at the time and will look worse every day! No hindsight, we all knew it then and we all know it now. Hart is an idiot period.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:49 pm

mustangxc wrote:Are you Hart’s lap boy? It is the singularly dumbest decision in modern SMU history! It was at the time and will look worse every day! No hindsight, we all knew it then and we all know it now. Hart is an idiot period.

If we’d continued fielding nationally-ranked programs and winning conference championships people would have, for the most part, sucked it up and paid the price. No one wants to pay more money for tickets, but I’d happily shell out a few grand to see a nationally relevant team at Moody rather than the $0.00 I spent on SMU basketball tickets this year to see Jank’s flaming bag of dog poo. The reseat could have been done better, yes, but the timing was the absolute worst part — right as Jank was scheduling down and setting a blowtorch to the program with his laziness and incompetence.

I think we can all agree after the 16-17 season we thought this program was in a pretty good place and we’d gotten an absolute steal given what ticket prices had been for the past four years. That wasn't going to last forever. Unfortunately, thanks to Jank, neither was our position as a relevant basketball program.
East Coast Mustang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:If we’d continued fielding nationally-ranked programs and winning conference championships people would have, for the most part, sucked it up and paid the price. No one wants to pay more money for tickets, but I’d happily shell out a few grand to see a nationally relevant team at Moody rather than the $0.00 I spent on SMU basketball tickets this year to see Jank’s flaming bag of dog poo. The reseat could have been done better, yes, but the timing was the absolute worst part — right as Jank was scheduling down and setting a blowtorch to the program with his laziness and incompetence.

For most it had nothing to do with the money. It was the fact SMU and RIck made it perfectly clear they didn't care one bit about us no matter how much we cared about them. You never get that blind loyalty back no matter how good the team is.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 am

The Capitals as they approached the top of the salary cap, had to raise ticket prices, to their credit, while the jacked up the prices of prime seats, they did make available some decent seats to season ticket holders at lower prices. That gave people the option of paying more to stay where they were, or moving and paying less. Of course the Caps were good in all of those years and went on the win the Stanley Cup two years later. While some complained, they stayed loyal or worked out deals to get participants for the season tickets which the Caps also helped with. Leonsis has gotten high marks for being loyal to his fan bases. Hart should talk to Ted and learn something.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby used to be 2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:56 am

Agree with Dan....

Money had nothing to do with it. It was the way they treated their previous loyal fans (not spectators which they mostly have now).

Had season football and basketball tickets for a long, long time. Not any more. Nor have i gone to a football or basketball game but watch them on TV which Hart helped me purchase.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:39 pm

BTW - The athletic department seriously needs to consider pricing basketball seats this year commensurate with the quality of the program based on their previous Duke North Carolina win ratio trash.

And all of those band wagon high rollers they wanted to cater to are Exiting stage left. What's that leave you left with Rick?

I enjoy coming to the games even if their lack luster on occasion but I will not drop 4k to sit in seats you can buy for $30 on a secondary market. And if the world doesn't open up there's not going to be a secondary ticket market...
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:42 pm

The Great State of Texas 'bout to open up.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:34 pm

The reseat was clearly a money grab with very little consideration for the 1500. Timing just could not have been worse and unfortunately that decision has undoubtedly run off some of the 1500.
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:35 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:The reseat was clearly a money grab with very little consideration for the 1500. Timing just could not have been worse and unfortunately that decision has undoubtedly run off some of the 1500.

I don’t disagree.
East Coast Mustang

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:23 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:The reseat was clearly a money grab with very little consideration for the 1500. Timing just could not have been worse and unfortunately that decision has undoubtedly run off some of the 1500.

I don’t disagree.

My question (if anyone knows) is who drove the initiative to create the re-seat? Was it Hart looking to placate big donors who wanted better seats? Hart looking to balance the AD books? Or Turner telling Hart to raise funds quickly and a re-seat was the best way to generate money from the revenue sports? All of the above or something else?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21 pm

I think it was just someone's interpretation of how big-time basketball programs operate. It was very bad in and of itself, but the timing was just horrific.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 pm

For anyone that complains about Jankovich not being on social media, make sure to check out this hilarious tik tok video of Jankovich.

https://twitter.com/SMU_SADev/status/12 ... 5272421377
mustangxc

Previous

Return to Basketball