PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Search Who Ya Want?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coaching Search Who Ya Want?

Postby ponyboy » Fri May 08, 2020 10:13 am

Seriously, guys, would we really want Rick Pitino? Not interested in selling our souls for temporary gain. There are better options than trying against all sense to recreate the perfect storm that was Larry Brown.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 am

I was under the impression that the NCAA had already ruled on Louisville and Pitino, but seeing the developments of this offseason that was clearly not the case. As much as I would have loved having Pitino as our head coach I would have had to pass on him given the new developments.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Fri May 08, 2020 10:57 am

regarding Pitino- I think the other shoe has to fall. There are still many good options to replace the incompetent, lazy, disinterested mummy that we now have.
The big question is will the bball $$ supporters and admin step up and make a splash hire (ala LB) or just be happy with another loser like jank?
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Fri May 08, 2020 11:04 am

If they don't step up we might as well keep Jankovich. There's no point in throwing away money if you're only partially committed.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri May 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Next year's schedule is now shaping up as one that will make or break Jank's career at SMU. Home non-conference games might include UNLV. Vandy, Georgia, UNF, ASU and Dayton. Together with AAC games, I will be impressed if this team only loses 2 home games at Moody next year but at this point, I just hope there will be a full 2020-2021 season.
Charleston Pony

Postby geezerdonk » Fri May 08, 2020 3:06 pm

Bet on break. What makes anybody think that the same players who quit on Jankovich last year are going to show up ready to run through a brick wall for him? He's a lousy coach. Nobody knows that better than the players. There is a lot of quality talent on the roster. I think that they would have a pretty high ceiling with minimally competent coaching. Unfortunately, SMU fans are in for another season of miserable sub-mediocracy.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri May 08, 2020 3:38 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Bet on break. What makes anybody think that the same players who quit on Jankovich last year are going to show up ready to run through a brick wall for him? He's a lousy coach. Nobody knows that better than the players. There is a lot of quality talent on the roster. I think that they would have a pretty high ceiling with minimally competent coaching. Unfortunately, SMU fans are in for another season of miserable sub-mediocracy.

Quit on Jank? I didn't see our guys losing games for lack of effort. They just didn't play well down the stretch in too many games (young guys tend to tighten up down the stretch, especially on the road) but there were others where they made great comebacks. Some of it came down to the lack of depth in the post (which doesn't appear will change) and some of it was just a lack of experience. Next year's team will add McNeill and all the guys will benefit from having played a full year together so I think they will be a tough out for anyone on the schedule. I just hope the season happens because I expect it to be a very entertaining year
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Please quit feeding Cargoking aka geezerdonk the Houston troll. They kicked him off the Houston site so we are stuck with him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby EastStang » Fri May 08, 2020 3:46 pm

We have to improve on the inside to win games. We lost games last year because we couldn't score or defend inside with any consistency.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri May 08, 2020 3:55 pm

EastStang wrote:We have to improve on the inside to win games. We lost games last year because we couldn't score or defend inside with any consistency.

We definitely need to work more on the inside game in our five-on-five practices - on both ends!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri May 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Which is precisely why I wish we'd run off Ray, Douglas, or someone along those lines so we can add an impact big.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 pm

mustangxc wrote:Which is precisely why I wish we'd run off Ray, Douglas, or someone along those lines so we can add an impact big.

One bada$$ Tolbert/Kennedy type transfer would do the trick.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby EastStang » Mon May 18, 2020 11:27 am

I think they would be okay, if they learned three things. (1) Blocking out. When ball is launched, don't watch the ball, look for a body to block out. I grew up watching Wes Unseld who was so good at that, he could pick up rebounds on the first bounce; (2) A simple head fake before shooting; (3) Don't dribble in the paint. Head fake and go for the bucket.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon May 18, 2020 2:33 pm

EastStang wrote:I think they would be okay, if they learned three things. (1) Blocking out. When ball is launched, don't watch the ball, look for a body to block out. I grew up watching Wes Unseld who was so good at that, he could pick up rebounds on the first bounce; (2) A simple head fake before shooting; (3) Don't dribble in the paint. Head fake and go for the bucket.

Our entire roster overused the head fake and I don't remember many defenders being faked. Chargois in particular used multiple head and ball fakes but at least he was our big who was most likely to jack a trey but could also drive in man to man so they at least had to respect him
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball