PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The basketball board May 2020

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The basketball board May 2020

Postby Shetland » Mon May 18, 2020 11:34 pm

Can you simply convert an athletic scholarship to an academic scholarship? When i was in school Dement tried to run off my friend who was a really good but not exceptional student. My friend told him. I am a senior. You can dog me in practice, not play me. I won't leave and I don't have the money to pay for SMU on my own. He said stayed on scholarship.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 am

Shetland wrote:Can you simply convert an athletic scholarship to an academic scholarship? When i was in school Dement tried to run off my friend who was a really good but not exceptional student. My friend told him. I am a senior. You can dog me in practice, not play me. I won't leave and I don't have the money to pay for SMU on my own. He said stayed on scholarship.

Yes, you can. The rule may have changed since Dement was here. There’s no reason that we shouldn’t be doing this and shedding 1-2 guys on the roster right now to upgrade the talent level. It’s malpractice that we’re not, but it’s also par for the course with the Self-Imposed Janktion. It’s especially rich that he spent three years whining about NCAA sanctions and then proceeds to light (at least) two scholarships on fire right as we get off of probation.

“A Medical Exemption is less common than a Medical Redshirt. This option allows those who suffer severe injuries and can no longer participate in collegiate athletics an opportunity to still have their education paid for. This allows the schools athletic director the option to continue paying for an injured athletes scholarship or providing them with financial aid. This is a huge protection plan for athletes who get injured. They can still receive the same amount of financial aid, despite suffering a incapacitating injury. A Medical Exemption is also beneficial for college programs, as they do not count towards their total scholarship limit.”

https://www.buildingthedam.com/2017/5/2 ... t-hardship
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue May 19, 2020 1:57 am

You have to have a medical problem to get a medical exception, do you not?
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue May 19, 2020 6:58 am

ponyboy wrote:You have to have a medical problem to get a medical exception, do you not?

Just find the right doctor.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby bubba pony » Tue May 19, 2020 8:10 am

larry brown pulled some athletic scholarships and told them they would get an academic scholarship if they wanted to stay.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 19, 2020 9:47 am

ponyboy wrote:You have to have a medical problem to get a medical exception, do you not?

Both of the players in question have had significant injury issues in the past 1-2 seasons
East Coast Mustang

Postby Joe Exotic's Pony » Tue May 19, 2020 10:09 am

Pretty sure SMU has or had a policy of keeping "non-performing" scholarship athletes on to graduate or moving them to academic scholarships or some sort of grant arrangement. Not sure about now. Knew a couple of guys on the football team that Cavan had run off the team that could not afford to pay their own way and they had grants and graduated.
Joe Exotic's Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 19, 2020 10:43 am

Joe Exotic's Pony wrote:Pretty sure SMU has or had a policy of keeping "non-performing" scholarship athletes on to graduate or moving them to academic scholarships or some sort of grant arrangement. Not sure about now. Knew a couple of guys on the football team that Cavan had run off the team that could not afford to pay their own way and they had grants and graduated.

Exactly. It can be done while doing right by the player and letting them stick around and earn their degree. Jank is just too lazy to put in the effort necessary to find some guys out there who could upgrade our talent level.

Question for the Jankers—why are you OK with this?
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 am

bubba pony wrote:larry brown pulled some athletic scholarships and told them they would get an academic scholarship if they wanted to stay.

I believe J-Frog was offered an academic scholarship when Brown decided he wasn't a good fit for the team. He decided he wanted to play and transferred out but had the option of graduating from SMU.
mustangxc

Postby Hoofprint » Tue May 19, 2020 12:25 pm

I believe Douglas (and maybe also Ray) is among the highest GPAs on the team. I have no knowledge of hope that impacts these specific cases, but coaches in all sports have to be aware of their APR, so maybe that's a factor here?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Hoofprint wrote:I believe Douglas (and maybe also Ray) is among the highest GPAs on the team. I have no knowledge of hope that impacts these specific cases, but coaches in all sports have to be aware of their APR, so maybe that's a factor here?

GPA doesn’t really matter for APR. It’s just scored on whether or not guys are progressing (I.e passing and graduating) academically. I don’t think there’s any difference APR wise between a 2.6 and 4.0.
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon May 25, 2020 11:20 am

mustangxc wrote:While this staff has failed us in many ways, LA_Mustang has created 2 threads to complain about the lack of news from this staff yet could not get himself to comment on the positive news regarding upgrades in the schedule. We all know about the staffs failings. Heck I think everyone wants to move on from them, but the negativity from a select few posters is almost as tiresome.

Well it looks like if I’m not complain about the current state of the program then there is absolutely no interest from anyone. Not a single post or new thread in a week. Incredibly sad. However, maybe mustangxc is compiling scouting reports on Dayton and Arizona St. to discuss with the board?? SMU Basketball 2020.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Mon May 25, 2020 4:09 pm

Where’s Jon Embree when you need him? He’s always a fount of info
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon May 25, 2020 6:22 pm

So we will have at least five open scholarships next cycle, and the more likely number will be six or seven. Yet we only have a limited number of reported offers out to 2021 HS prospects and there’s no indication we’re close on any. Does that concern anyone?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
mustangxc wrote:While this staff has failed us in many ways, LA_Mustang has created 2 threads to complain about the lack of news from this staff yet could not get himself to comment on the positive news regarding upgrades in the schedule. We all know about the staffs failings. Heck I think everyone wants to move on from them, but the negativity from a select few posters is almost as tiresome.

Well it looks like if I’m not complain about the current state of the program then there is absolutely no interest from anyone. Not a single post or new thread in a week. Incredibly sad. However, maybe mustangxc is compiling scouting reports on Dayton and Arizona St. to discuss with the board?? SMU Basketball 2020.

Make no mistake—the momentum around this program is dead, dead, dead. Jank killed it in a way that makes you wonder if he’s getting paid by TCU or UH boosters on the side to sabotage this thing.
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball