PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Michigan President "No On-Campus Classes = No Football"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Michigan President "No On-Campus Classes = No Football"

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue May 26, 2020 8:20 am

"The University of Michigan won’t have a football season this fall unless all students are able to be back on campus for classes. Michigan President Dr. Mark Schlissel is an immunologist by training, and told the Wall Street Journal that he has "some degree of doubt as to whether there will be college athletics (anywhere), at least in the fall." Schlissel made the point that "If there is no on-campus instruction then there won't be intercollegiate athletics, at least for Michigan."

https://www.si.com/college/video/2020/0 ... oronavirus
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Michigan President "No On-Campus Classes = No Football"

Postby bubba pony » Tue May 26, 2020 8:34 am

107,600 seat football stadium, with consecutive yearly sell outs. what the president is saying is he will skip one season if it is an empty stadium void of fans, and give all athletics another year of eligibility, so he can recoup money lost over the long run. it's all about the Benjamins.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby BUS » Tue May 26, 2020 12:13 pm

.0026% risk of anything happening. Chinch up your belt and get back to work.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue May 26, 2020 2:06 pm

BUS wrote:.0026% risk of anything happening. Chinch up your belt and get back to work.

BUS I have eaten too many Milo burgers and Milo's cheese fries to do any such thing!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue May 26, 2020 2:47 pm

BUS wrote:.0026% risk of anything happening. Chinch up your belt and get back to work.

That’s not accurate. There is a very small chance of mortality, but there is growing evidence of new chronic health issues in many that successfully recover from acute illness. No need to panic, but we’re learning new information about this virus every day. I think it’s too soon to make a decision about athletic competitions at this point. The good news is there is still more time before a decision is necessary.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm

mustangxc wrote:

That’s not accurate. There is a very small chance of mortality, but there is growing evidence of new chronic health issues in many that successfully recover from acute illness. No need to panic, but we’re learning new information about this virus every day. I think it’s too soon to make a decision about athletic competitions at this point. The good news is there is still more time before a decision is necessary.

There were a ton of crowds everywhere for Memorial day. I think we are going to know one way or the other in two weeks. Either cases are going to have a slight uptick/level off/drop, in which case outside heat has had an impact and things will be fine, at least until the fall. Or cases will jump significantly and any hope for college anything goes out the door with it.

It took a couple weeks after people hit the beach for spring break for cases to start popping up. I'm hoping for a better result this time.

Fun fact: the Spanish Flu killed 30K people in New York. This virus has killed 30K in New York, with 20% or less of the population being infected. In a typical flu season, around 5K die in New York.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 pm

JasonB wrote:Fun fact: the Spanish Flu killed 30K people in New York. This virus has killed 30K in New York, with 20% or less of the population being infected. In a typical flu season, around 5K die in New York.

I see New York state with 23k Corona deaths, not 30k.

In 1918, New York state had a population of 5.6 million, today its 19.4 million, a 3.5-fold increase.

In 1918, the average life expectancy in America was ~38 years old*

I can’t find specific #s, but the Corona death rate among New York state for people under the age of 38 appears to be less than 1k.

Of the 23k Corona deaths in NY, 10k have come from nursing homes.

Oh, and media darling Gov Cuomo made a HUUUGE mistake by forcing recovering coronavirus patients into vulnerable nursing homes. Somehow those critical of our President give Cuomo a hall pass on this...gee I wonder why.

* 1918 life expectancy was skewed down probably due to Spanish Flu. Years prior and after it’s closer to ~56 years. It appears NY deaths for those under age 56 is ~3k.
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 pm

Nothing new here.

They've said if there are no students there is no football. Makes sense to me, no reason to act like something has changed.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed May 27, 2020 10:29 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
JasonB wrote:Fun fact: the Spanish Flu killed 30K people in New York. This virus has killed 30K in New York, with 20% or less of the population being infected. In a typical flu season, around 5K die in New York.

I see New York state with 23k Corona deaths, not 30k.

In 1918, New York state had a population of 5.6 million, today its 19.4 million, a 3.5-fold increase.

In 1918, the average life expectancy in America was ~38 years old*

I can’t find specific #s, but the Corona death rate among New York state for people under the age of 38 appears to be less than 1k.

Of the 23k Corona deaths in NY, 10k have come from nursing homes.

Oh, and media darling Gov Cuomo made a HUUUGE mistake by forcing recovering coronavirus patients into vulnerable nursing homes. Somehow those critical of our President give Cuomo a hall pass on this...gee I wonder why.

* 1918 life expectancy was skewed down probably due to Spanish Flu. Years prior and after it’s closer to ~56 years. It appears NY deaths for those under age 56 is ~3k.

New York State is up to 29K deaths. Some sites show just 23K because they are waiting for formal confirmation of test results on dead bodies. The scientific community believes the 29K is more accurate because it includes the dead bodies from the care facilities where the individuals showed all the signs before dying but they haven't been retroactively tested yet.

I think I read that life expectancy dropped by 18 years during Spanish Flu? Pretty amazing.

Old people matter too :). Hospitalization rates are spread out more evenly than the deaths, just FYI. When the hospitals fill up to capacity and patients aren't cared for well enough, the death spreads across a wider age group.

Cuomo for the last month and a half has been outstanding, very metric driven in decision making, listening to medical professionals. But you are absolutely correct, he made a lot of horrible mistakes early on. While his actions later on prevented a lot of deaths, his actions early contributed significantly to those death numbers. The facilities bear responsibility as well, because by accepting those patients, they were required to keep those patients quarantined, and they didn't. It was a pure money grab on their end because they receive revenue based on how many patients are actually at their facility. But Cuomo and the government should have recognized that was happening and the dangerous situation and prevented those patients from being sent home. Everyone needs to take off their Republican or Democrat hats and judge each and every one of these politicians by what they do during this crisis when things go the wrong way.
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Wed May 27, 2020 11:48 am

Regarding life expectancies, wouldn't WWI have had some effect on that, US entered war in April, 1917 and it ended November, 2018. 18-21 year olds getting killed right and left. Spanish flu also had effect in the trenches, but I suspect the gases used probably killed people before the virus got them or messed up their lungs so the virus got them. Interestingly phasogene gas mimicked the symptoms of the Spanish flu. 90-100,000 people died from that gas.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Wed May 27, 2020 12:48 pm

100K died in America from a flu epidemic that was raging during the time of Woodstock, late 60’s. My great grandfather died of the Spanish Flu in San Antonio in 1919.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 27, 2020 2:38 pm

ponyboy wrote:100K died in America from a flu epidemic that was raging during the time of Woodstock, late 60’s. My great grandfather died of the Spanish Flu in San Antonio in 1919.

I was a rising high school senior in upstate NY about 125 miles from Yasgur's farm and oblivious to how widespread that flu still was during Woodstock. I had classmates who attended but I didn't because I had to work. Of course we didn't have internet or even cable TV back then so ignorance was bliss. I do remember practically our entire team being really sick during my junior year basketball season '68-'69 so for all I know I might have had that bug. We just rode things out and didn't run to see a doctor back then. I remember guys playing with 103 degree fevers. Different world we live in today.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:100K died in America from a flu epidemic that was raging during the time of Woodstock, late 60’s. My great grandfather died of the Spanish Flu in San Antonio in 1919.

I was a rising high school senior in upstate NY about 125 miles from Yasgur's farm and oblivious to how widespread that flu still was during Woodstock. I had classmates who attended but I didn't because I had to work. Of course we didn't have internet or even cable TV back then so ignorance was bliss. I do remember practically our entire team being really sick during my junior year basketball season '68-'69 so for all I know I might have had that bug. We just rode things out and didn't run to see a doctor back then. I remember guys playing with 103 degree fevers. Different world we live in today.

If our nation had taken those actions with this virus, back in March and April, we would be looking at 1M people dying rather than 100,000. Different virus, not a different world.
JasonB

Postby malonish » Wed May 27, 2020 4:52 pm

Friend of a friend, 21 year old EMT in perfect shape died of it.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am

I suppose thus far we've done relatively well in Texas.

Texas 29 Million Population
Thus far less than 2000 Covid deaths
2018 - Texas Flu Deaths = 9,500

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2018/06/ ... eason.aspx
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football