PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU-Arkansas 1982

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU-Arkansas 1982

Postby Dukie » Wed May 27, 2020 3:53 pm

It's one of the only (maybe the only?) games from 1982 with a near-complete version online, so I rewatched it today. Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cawce7EDhQ

After so much whining from Arkansas fans over the (correct) pass interference call on SMU's last touchdown drive, check out the unbelievable forearm shiver that Arkansas' #71 delivers to Dickerson after Dickerson is out of bounds at the 50 on SMU's last drive. It's at 1:22:46 in this video live, and 1:23:20 replay. This should have been an ejection, 15 yards, and an SMU first down on the Arkansas 35 with nearly a minute left; instead, after a few more plays, the final SMU field goal attempt was snapped from the Arkansas 36.
Dukie
Heisman

Re: SMU-Arkansas 1982

Postby ponyte » Wed May 27, 2020 7:11 pm

I watched the game and was stunned that the refs allowed that late hit dirty play. I lived in Arkyland for 3 lustrums and never once found a Beloved Razorback fam to acknowledge they got away with one. Of course the pass interference, that was correct by the rules at that time, was obviously a call to rob the Beloved Razorbacks of another National Championship. Really the state has a massive inferiority complex that makes the Bug in MIB look like a narcissist.

My freshman year we beat the Beloved Razorbacks in Shreveport. Frank Broyles, in his show, offered to buy anyone that could show a penalty against the Beloved Razorbacks a steak dinner. Our D cut the game film and sent it to him with a frame by frame commentary. Needless to say, Frank never made good on his offer.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Thu May 28, 2020 3:07 pm

I saw the referee at a social function the day after the game. I asked him about the call and he said that it was by the book and that the head office was in complete agreement. No controversy anywhere except in the minds of the hogs.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu May 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Gives new meaning to the term: "Screams like a stuck pig".
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 28, 2020 5:03 pm

I was at that game sitting behind the Ark bench. 2 things always stuck out to me.

1) look at the slow-mo of Dickerson getting hit by the Arky player standing on the sidelines with ~1:30 left in game. From where I was sitting, it looked like a blatant personal foul.

2) probably even more frustrating was the lackadaisical attitude of almost the entire offense with :32 seconds remaining. They didn’t start the play until :14 seconds were left. Extraordinarily frustrating at the time and still to this day. Why no sense of urgency????????

This was most likely our last legitimate shot ever at a NC.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Dukie » Thu May 28, 2020 5:39 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:I was at that game sitting behind the Ark bench. 2 things always stuck out to me.

1) look at the slow-mo of Dickerson getting hit by the Arky player standing on the sidelines with ~1:30 left in game. From where I was sitting, it looked like a blatant personal foul.

2) probably even more frustrating was the lackadaisical attitude of almost the entire offense with :32 seconds remaining. They didn’t start the play until :14 seconds were left. Extraordinarily frustrating at the time and still to this day. Why no sense of urgency????????

Clock management was a nightmare. Hard to understand that gap, I agree; and who the hell is forced to take a timeout because they accidentally run out the play clock on the first play of the half???? Keith Jackson noted at the time that that was shockingly sloppy, and might be costly. He was sure right.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:56 pm

ED also nearly ripped off a game-winning run during that last drive. Frustrating to be that close to perfection.

Great times, and Cotton Bowl Bound!
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyfan777 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:21 am

We was down in the corner of the end zone when Dickerson got the pitch.

Go Ponies!
DeanO~
ponyfan777
Varsity

Postby Topper » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 am

Dukie wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:I was at that game sitting behind the Ark bench. 2 things always stuck out to me.

Clock management was a nightmare. Hard to understand that gap, I agree; and who the hell is forced to take a timeout because they accidentally run out the play clock on the first play of the half???? Keith Jackson noted at the time that that was shockingly sloppy, and might be costly. He was sure right.

Whatever else you can say about Bobby Collins, his lack of clock management skills was evident throughtout his entire tenure in Dallas. Fortunately the team was so talented it didn't cost us very many games. I have been told by one of his players that he was a master at organizing his coaching staff, but I always thought it would be helpful if he had someone on the sideline doing nothing but reminding him of the clock.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Return to Football