PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The basketball board May 2020

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The basketball board May 2020

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:So we will have at least five open scholarships next cycle, and the more likely number will be six or seven. Yet we only have a limited number of reported offers out to 2021 HS prospects and there’s no indication we’re close on any. Does that concern anyone?

Hopefully Jank knows he’s getting canned after next season so he’s not even pretending to try
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 26, 2020 7:24 am

Only 15 offers out and nobody showing much interest. The entire program appears to be in a "wait and see" position...kind of hanging on the edge of a cliff right now. Assuming there is a season, a strong season might turn things and save Jank's job and lead to a decent class but another disappointing year could lead to a JJ type of bottoming out for SMU hoops with a new coach having to come in and start from almost scratch.

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Seaso ... ll/Offers/
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue May 26, 2020 10:21 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
mustangxc wrote:While this staff has failed us in many ways, LA_Mustang has created 2 threads to complain about the lack of news from this staff yet could not get himself to comment on the positive news regarding upgrades in the schedule. We all know about the staffs failings. Heck I think everyone wants to move on from them, but the negativity from a select few posters is almost as tiresome.

Well it looks like if I’m not complain about the current state of the program then there is absolutely no interest from anyone. Not a single post or new thread in a week. Incredibly sad. However, maybe mustangxc is compiling scouting reports on Dayton and Arizona St. to discuss with the board?? SMU Basketball 2020.

Lol! So typical of your negativity. Obviously there is nothing to talk about right now. We've discussed Jankovich's inability to cut the dead weight which is killing the program. On the other hand you never commented on how great it was to finally see Jankovich on TikTok or the additions of Dayton and ASU to the schedule even after I called you out on it. Make no mistake, this program is a mess, but your attitude demonstrates that no matter what Jankovich does you'll always complain. Complain about what merits complaining and give praise when it is merited. You are simply a broken record.

On another note, seeing this tweet from Jon Rothstein this morning should have been reason for excitement as we are missing a forward. Unfortunately, it will simply be another missed opportunity.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 7187385349
mustangxc

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue May 26, 2020 8:00 pm

mustangxc wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:
mustangxc wrote:While this staff has failed us in many ways, LA_Mustang has created 2 threads to complain about the lack of news from this staff yet could not get himself to comment on the positive news regarding upgrades in the schedule. We all know about the staffs failings. Heck I think everyone wants to move on from them, but the negativity from a select few posters is almost as tiresome.

Well it looks like if I’m not complain about the current state of the program then there is absolutely no interest from anyone. Not a single post or new thread in a week. Incredibly sad. However, maybe mustangxc is compiling scouting reports on Dayton and Arizona St. to discuss with the board?? SMU Basketball 2020.

Lol! So typical of your negativity. Obviously there is nothing to talk about right now. We've discussed Jankovich's inability to cut the dead weight which is killing the program. On the other hand you never commented on how great it was to finally see Jankovich on TikTok or the additions of Dayton and ASU to the schedule even after I called you out on it. Make no mistake, this program is a mess, but your attitude demonstrates that no matter what Jankovich does you'll always complain. Complain about what merits complaining and give praise when it is merited. You are simply a broken record.

On another note, seeing this tweet from Jon Rothstein this morning should have been reason for excitement as we are missing a forward. Unfortunately, it will simply be another missed opportunity.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 7187385349

I actually did comment on scheduling Dayton and ASU after your post. To recap I said these are two good H&Hs and more in line with how he should be scheduling. But again, we will likely still not have a top 25 matchup in our OOC schedule for the third year in a row. I’m not sure how or why I should heap praise on Jank for that? Also, if you think Jank was responsible for scheduling these two H&Hs you’re kidding yourself. Just like if the casual SMU fans knew how badly this program has been ran in the ground it would shock most of them. Ask anyone close to the situation, it is truly unbelievable. My negativity doesn’t even scratch the surface.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun May 31, 2020 5:05 pm

Some articles out there say SMU is bringing back everyone plus McNeill and Young, and could be good. The anti-Jank crowd is predicting the end of times. Reality falls somewhere in between.

I have no idea what McNeill adds. Hopefully he's really good, in which case we'll see some 4-guard lineups.
If we could put Chargois's offense and Jasey's defense into one guy, ww would have something. But we can't.
I assume Hunt and Mike come back.
I hope for good health for Douglass and Ray. Anything they contribute is a bonus.

My guess is we're over .500 overall and in the AAC, but don't win it. We'll beat someone we're shouldn't and lose you someone we shouldn't.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby friarwolf » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:40 am

DallasDiehard wrote:Some articles out there say SMU is bringing back everyone plus McNeill and Young, and could be good. The anti-Jank crowd is predicting the end of times. Reality falls somewhere in between.

I have no idea what McNeill adds. Hopefully he's really good, in which case we'll see some 4-guard lineups.
If we could put Chargois's offense and Jasey's defense into one guy, we would have something. But we can't.
I assume Hunt and Mike come back.
I hope for good health for Douglass and Ray. Anything they contribute is a bonus.

My guess is we're over .500 overall and in the AAC, but don't win it. We'll beat someone we're shouldn't and lose you someone we shouldn't.

"Hopefully, If, Assume, Hope, Guess". It's never good when you make a prediction and you have to use this many qualifying words..............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby used to be 2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:42 am

Does anyone have an update on the ticket prices, seating etc for the new season.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:38 pm

used to be 2 wrote:Does anyone have an update on the ticket prices, seating etc for the new season.

Is there another re-seat?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:45 am

used to be 2 wrote:Does anyone have an update on the ticket prices, seating etc for the new season.

Rick might be waiting to see how our peer schools Duke and Villanova are handling pricing.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:36 am

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 7856129025

Fire Tim Jankovich! Bring in a coach that can assemble a killer recruiting staff including bringing home Cannen Cunningham and boom we can add Cade Cunningham to the roster!
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:41 am

Even if that was done, isn’t there a rule about not bringing in a child of a coach until the coach has been there 2 years or more?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:02 pm

You're right! I forgot about that!
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 pm

mrydel wrote:Even if that was done, isn’t there a rule about not bringing in a child of a coach until the coach has been there 2 years or more?

Hire Cannen as an “analyst” at EnCap for a year and then hire him as an assistant once Cade goes pro.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:16 am

mrydel wrote:Even if that was done, isn’t there a rule about not bringing in a child of a coach until the coach has been there 2 years or more?

Was a rule put in place after Jank's failure to land Maxey after hiring his Dad? Meanwhile, it only took Cade 3 months to decide on OSU after his older brother was hired. OSU will appeal and somehow I doubt this is going to become much of an issue when all is said and done. Yes, SMU should have made a serious effort to have Cannen join the staff here and they should be doing the same for more former players who demonstrate an ability to both recruit and coach. Randall Joyner on the football staff is a good example. I've long thought it would be a good strategy to have guys on staff that played here, enjoyed their time at SMU and will be more passionate and credible on the trail.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:27 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

Was a rule put in place after Jank's failure to land Maxey after hiring his Dad? Meanwhile, it only took Cade 3 months to decide on OSU after his older brother was hired. OSU will appeal and somehow I doubt this is going to become much of an issue when all is said and done. Yes, SMU should have made a serious effort to have Cannen join the staff here and they should be doing the same for more former players who demonstrate an ability to both recruit and coach. Randall Joyner on the football staff is a good example. I've long thought it would be a good strategy to have guys on staff that played here, enjoyed their time at SMU and will be more passionate and credible on the trail.
First, in our case the rule was already in place and it was determined that Maxey’s dad would have been on board 2 years prior to Maxey joining the team. Second, I do not think Cade is his brother’s son, and third, and this is most important, I have no idea as to the actual wording or details of the rule, only the tidbits I pick up in reading about it on sites like this. So please take anything I say in this regard as being speculative. Most of my time is spent running the WDNWHA Committee
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball