PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's swimming and diving announces signing of 11

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's swimming and diving announces signing of 11

Postby PonyPride » Mon May 18, 2020 10:51 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Mustangs Announce Addition Of 11 To 2020 Signing Class

DALLAS (SMU) – Head coach Steve Collins announced the addition of 11 student-athletes to the women's swimming and diving program for the 2020-21 season. The Mustangs are coming off a successful 2019-20 season that saw them finish runner-up at the American Athletic Conference Championships, and qualify a pair of student-athletes for the NCAA Division I Swimming & Diving Championships.

The class includes student-athletes from nine states and two International signees, as well as multiple State Champions and National Team members.

Nicole Aldrich | Palm Beach Gardens, Florida | Homeschool/Trinity Christian (athletics) | Freestyle

Aldrich lettered four years under John Kjaerluff at Trinity Christian where she was named MVP and was part of a State Champion 200 relay team. She also competed at Nationals each year dating back to 2016 as part of the North Palm Beach Swim Club under the direction of Alf Aguirre.

Personal: Daughter of Maura Aldrich… Has one brother, David, and two sisters, Meghan and Meredith… Anticipated major is business.

"I chose SMU because of the blend of athletics and academics, and the amazing coaching staff and alumni network."

Isabella Dickinson | Fresno, California | Clovis North | Freestyle

Dickinson lettered four years under Peter Fecht at Clovis North High School where she was a three-time All-Area and All-Valley selection as an individual and an All-American as part of a 400 free relay team. She was also her school's 500 free record holder and was runner-up at the CIF D1 Central Section Championships.

Dickinson also competed for John McGough at Clovis Swim Club.

Outside of the pool, Dickinson is a CIF Lifetime member, National Honor Society member, on the Principal's Honor Roll, Valedictorian, National Hispanic Scholar, AP Scholar with Honor, winner of the Scholar Athlete Award and two-time recipient of the President's Volunteer Service Award.

Personal: Daughter of Elizabeth and Wade Dickinson… Father Wade graduated from SMU and competed on the swim team from 1987-91… Has two sisters, Sophia and Katalina… Anticipated major is business.

"I chose SMU because it has been my dream ever since my dad went and swam there back in the 80's."

Johanna Gudmundsdottir | Hafnarfjordur, Iceland | Flensborgarskolinn | Sprint Freestyle

Competed for the club Sundfelag Hafnarfjardar under Mladen Tepavcevic where she was named Swimmer of the Year (2018-19). Also a member of the National Team at competitions from 2016 to present including the Nordic Youth Championships, Nordic Championships and European Championships.

Personal: Daughter of Bjarney Olof Gunnardottir… Has two sisters, Harpa and Elisabet… Anticipated major is business.

"I chose SMU because of the great education and great swimming team!"

Prather Anne Hargrove | Montgomery, Alabama | Trinity Presbyterian School | Freestyle/Butterfly

Hargrove lettered four years under Jenifer Handey at Trinity Presbyterian School, winning two individual State Championships and posting a top-three finish at the State meet over four seasons. As a member of Auburn Aquatics under Jeff Dellinger, Hargrove was a National Junior qualifier, a member of the All-American team and a team record holder.

Hargrove also lettered one season in cross country and was a State qualifier.

In the classroom, she was a member of the Principal List all years.

Personal: Daughter of Jodi and Alan Hargrove… Has one brother, Thomas… Anticipated major is education.

"I chose SMU because when I first stepped foot on campus I felt at home. SMU has a small campus feel, but the features of a big university."

Katie Jordan | Columbus, Georgia | The Bolles School | Middle-Distance/Distance Freestyle

A four-year letterwinner in high school, Jordan competed at The Bolles School and previously Columbus High School. She served as Varsity captain at Bolles in 2019 and was named the All Bi-City Swimmer of the Year. A three-time All Bi-City Swim Team member (2017-19), Jordan holds the 500 free school record at CHS and was named the team's MVP and Swimmer of the Year.

A member of the Bolles School Sharks under Peter Verhoef, Jordan competed at Futures in 2018 and 2019.

Jordan is also a member of the National Honor Society, Beta Club and National Art Honor Society.

Personal: Daughter of Julie and George Jordan… Has one sister, Emily… Dad ran cross country and track at the University of Georgia (1990-95)… Aunt and Uncle graduated from SMU… Anticipated major is pre-physical therapy.

"I chose SMU because after stepping on campus for the first time, I felt like I had found my school. The team atmosphere and academic opportunities made SMU a perfect fit for me."

Maddy Lewis | Reno, Nevada | Sage Ridge School | Breaststroke/IM

Lewis was a four-year letterwinner under Morgan Johnson at Sage Ridge School. She was named outstanding athlete all four seasons and was team captain as a senior. Under the direction of Sharon Weiss and Nenad Rodic at Lakeridge Swim Team, Lewis was named MVP twice, honored with the Persistence Award and was given four USA Swimming top 20 times honors.

Lewis also lettered in volleyball.

In the classroom, Lewis earned an Academic Award for a 4.0 for three seasons, was on the Headmaster List four years, earned the Community Award and was honored with multiple outstanding art awards.

Personal: Daughter of Susan and Nathan Lewis… Has one stepbrother, Nate, and one stepsister, Angela… Father is an SMU graduate… Anticipated major is pre-health.

"I chose SMU because it was the perfect blend for me of academic and athletic values. I love the swim program with coach Steve Collins and the wonderful value system, but I am also eager to explore the academic challenges at SMU. My dad also grew up in the Dallas area, and it was appealing to explore his roots a bit. Also, Dallas is just an exciting city on its own!"

Maxine Parkinson | Naperville, Illinois | Neuqua Valley | Breaststroke/Butterfly/IM

Parkinson was a four-year letterwinner under Jason Niforatos at Neuqua Valley High School and was part of State Championship teams in 2018 and 2019. She was part of a State Champion 400 relay in 2018 and a State record 200 free relay. Parkinson was named a National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association All-American in the 100 breast and 200 medley relay (2017) and was an All-State selection in the 100 breast, 200 IM and 400 free relay in 2018. She was also a three-time DVC All-Conference and All-Academic Selection (2017-19).

A member of Delta Aquatics under the direction of Deryl Leubner, Parkinson was a USA Swimming Scholastic All-American (2018). In 2017 she placed second as part of a 200 free relay at Junior Nationals (West) and was a team record holder in seven events.

In the classroom, Parkinson was an Indian Prairie Scholar (2020), earned the Neuqua Honors Leadership Award (2019) and was named Neuqua Valley Business Student of the Quarter (2018).

Personal: Daughter of Rei and Ryan Parkinson… Has one brother, Alexander… Mother was on the Japanese synchronized swimming team at the 1996 (bronze) and 2000 (silver) Olympics…. Anticipated major is biology.

"I chose SMU because I loved the team atmosphere and it was the perfect fit for me when considering athletics and academics."

Kendall Stieben | Broken Arrow, Oklahoma | Bixby | Sprint Freestyle

Stieben lettered four years under Christa Thompson at Bixby High School and was a four-time State runner-up finisher. She was named Swimmer of the Year in 2017 and holds team records in three individual events and as part of three relays. Stieben helped her team to a third place finish at the State Championships in 2019 and went on to be an All-State qualifier in 2020.

Stieben also lettered in track and cross country and was named distance runner of the year in 2017. As a freshman, she was an All-State medalist and was named a Tulsa World Athlete of the Week. She holds Bixby school records in four events and was a four-time State qualifier in track as a freshman. Stieben was named team captain from 2017-19.

In the classroom, Stieben is an AP Scholar with Distinction, National Merit Finalist, Valedictorian, a member of the Bixby Athletic Honor Roll and was named Oklahoma Academic All-Conference for track, cross country and swimming (2017-20).

Personal: Daughter of Tracy and Brad Stieben… Anticipated major is biology/pre-med.

"I chose SMU because of the amazing academic opportunities and beautiful campus, along with the great swimming program and facilities."

Indra Vandenbussche | Bruges, Belgium | Sint-Lodewijkscollege | Freestyle

A member of the Belgian National Team during the 2019-20 season, Vandenbussche also competed at the European Junior Championships in Kazan in 2019 and the European Youth Olympian Festival in the summer of 2017. Vandenbussche competed for Stefaan Obreno and Bruno Claeys at Koninklijke Brugse Zwemkring and was twice named the Sport Woman of the Year in her City (2017 & 2019).

Personal: Daughter of Nathalie Buidin and Marino Vandenbussche… Has one brother, Faro… Anticipated major is biological sciences and mechanical engineering.

"I chose SMU because of its accommodations and the connection with coach Collins."

Mya VanderHagen | Huntertown, Indiana | Carroll | Butterfly/Freestyle

VanderHagen was a four-year letterwinner under John Gibson at Carroll High School where she was a State Medalist and holds the school record in the 500 free. She also finished runner-up at the State Championships in the 400 and 200 free relays on three occasions and was honored with the Mental Attitude Award.

As a member of the Fort Wayne Swim Team, she was a Junior National qualifier.

In the classroom, VanderHagen is a member of the National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, is in the top 10% of her class and is a Scholastic All-American.

Personal: Daughter of Denise and Mark VanderHagen… Has one brother, Mitchell, and two sisters, Nellie and Lauren… Anticipated major is biochemistry with a Spanish minor.

"I chose SMU because of the great academics and athletics, as well as the great community environment."

Jenna Watson | Flower Mound, Texas | Flower Mound | Breaststroke/IM/Backstroke

Watson lettered four seasons under Tony Arbogast at Flower Mound High school, helping her team to a top-three finish at the UIL 6A State Championships in 2019 and 2020. Individually, Watson placed third in the 100 breast in 2019 and was part of the runner-up 200 free relay in 2019. A team captain and MVP, Watson was named a Scholastic All-American all four seasons.

Watson is also a member of Lakeside Aquatic Club under Craig Harris and Tom Cyprus, a Gold medal team.

In the classroom, Watson is a member of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Spanish National Honor Society and English Honor Society.

Personal: Daughter of Kristin and Brad Duren… Has one sister, Amanda… Anticipated major is business.

"I chose SMU because of the great academics the school has to offer, the Cox School of Business and the swim team's culture."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Women's swimming and diving announces signing of 11

Postby Water Pony » Wed May 27, 2020 9:30 pm

Congratulations to Coach Collins. A greater recruiting class. Well done!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 28, 2020 7:14 am

It's great to see the new Natatorium boosting recruiting!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Higher Authority » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Water Pony wrote:Congratulations to Coach Collins. A greater recruiting class. Well done!

I admit I'm one of those who doesn't follow swimming/diving. Any idea how this class stacks up against recent classes? It used to be that they recruited internationally a lot because of Perkins. Now that they have the new place, can SMU swimming get back to what it was a couple of decades ago?
Thanks
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby ponyswim » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:34 pm

This class is ok. The recruit from Belgium is very good. The one from Iceland is good. Of the others some certainly may have the ability to be National level swimmers, but they are not there yet.
I don't think Perkins had much to do with earlier recruiting. Coach Collins recruited some very good foreign girls back in the late 80's and then in the 90's, and developed some good connections for the next 30 years. But swimming recruiting has gotten a lot more competitive, and SMU has not had good National Level teams in a really long time. It remains to be seen if Steve can sell elite girls that SMU is a good place to improve and become a World Class swimmer. We have not gotten a really good American girl in a very long time - probably 20 years or more.
We will see in the next couple of years if things get a lot better, but realistically their will be a new coaching staff before that happens.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Vitale » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:22 pm

ponyswim wrote:This class is ok. The recruit from Belgium is very good. The one from Iceland is good. Of the others some certainly may have the ability to be National level swimmers, but they are not there yet.
I don't think Perkins had much to do with earlier recruiting. Coach Collins recruited some very good foreign girls back in the late 80's and then in the 90's, and developed some good connections for the next 30 years. But swimming recruiting has gotten a lot more competitive, and SMU has not had good National Level teams in a really long time. It remains to be seen if Steve can sell elite girls that SMU is a good place to improve and become a World Class swimmer. We have not gotten a really good American girl in a very long time - probably 20 years or more.
We will see in the next couple of years if things get a lot better, but realistically their will be a new coaching staff before that happens.

Wow. Are you saying Collins will be removed, or just retire? This year will be his 35th year as head coach.
Vitale
All-American

Return to Other Sports