PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best Professor you had for a class?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Best Professor you had for a class?

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Don Jackson for me for Investments.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Best Professor you had for a class?

Postby GrapevineMustang » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:50 am

Bonnie Wheeler

I thought she was brutal when I had her class, but it paid off. She taught me everything about writing that I should have learned in high school.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:29 pm

For me, former Philosopher professor Serge Kappler was the best. I was a young, cocky student the first class of his I ever took. He completely shut me down and rebuilt me, taught me humility. Later he was the only one in the department to support me in a semi-controversial paper I wrote. He truly cared about his students, truth, and about his craft and calling. He was fantastic.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:30 am

Dr. Mohsen Mobasher for sociology classes. Easily the best lecturer I had at SMU. I was a Finance major.
mustangxc

Postby Mexmustang » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:17 pm

David Ott, professor of economics. Dr. Johnson the founder of the Southwestern School of Banking at SMU was also head of the department of economics. He set about to improve the department and hired a group of outstanding young professors. David moved on to the President's Counsel of Economic Advisors and a position at another university.
During his time at SMU he married another Professor. She was Egyptian and was part of the royal family of the deposed King Faruk. They moved into a new home and she was frustrated without having any lawn, shrubs or flowers. So she went out and bought a couple of boxes of carrots. She then proceeded to plant them upside down! I kid you not.
I had her for international trade, and while she was writing on the blackboard, she pulled out a pipe, the kind Sherlock Holmes would use, and turned around with pipe lit and asked me a question. I not only couldn't answer the question, but couldn't stop laughing!
Both were very bright, but the cause of conversation in the Business School. It was SMU's version of I"I Love Lucy". Unfortunately David passed away suddenly before reaching 40.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:27 am

Hands down, Dr. William "Bill" Tedford in Psych.

Most entertaining of any prof at SMU. Wore a white lab coat covered in chalk to every class and would begin each class by talking of the dangers of smoking...right be fore he lit one up and proceeded to teach, using the drawer in an old wooden desk as his ash tray throughout the lecture.

Sensation and Perception was one of the classes I remember, but I took a few from him.

I had him in the 90s, but I think he was teaching in the 60s.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:35 am

Nutty professor Daytona beach 1975
One Trick Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 am

ponyboy wrote:For me, former Philosopher professor Serge Kappler was the best. I was a young, cocky student the first class of his I ever took. He completely shut me down and rebuilt me, taught me humility. Later he was the only one in the department to support me in a semi-controversial paper I wrote. He truly cared about his students, truth, and about his craft and calling. He was fantastic.

I really liked him to, he was part of the team teaching for my Core class Freshman year and then I took his "Aesthetics in Architecture" class for Capstone my Junior year. He made everything interesting and always injected humor.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:56 am

Yes, that Aesthetics of Architecture class with the Roger Scruton text was fantastic.
ponyboy

Postby HorsePower » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Kathy LaTour
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 am

Dr. Harold Jeskey- Chemistry. I was not a chem major but took his classes. He kept things interesting but you needed to really study to do well in his classes. Pllus IMO he love SMU and loved teaching there.
redpony

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm

I think his name was Cecil Johnson in Poli Sci and Soviet studies. I always remember him saying in class way back when that the biggest mistake the Soviet Union would make would be to invade Afghanistan. Boy was he right on that one. Loved his knowledge of US policy where the ussr was concerned.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby panhandle_pony » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Don Jackson, Finance
Jim Brown, Political Science
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Gerhardt for Political Science was fantastic.
ponyboy

Postby leopold » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:32 am

John Lewis, English, is absolutley rock star brilliant. And kooky in a good way. He's older now, but I also remember him back in the day.
The D Magazine article from the 1970's "Can SMU Get it Together?" mentions him: “John Lewis was the best instructor I have ever had,” one student commented. “He was the most open, fairest, least arbitrary and most intelligent instructor I have ever known.” And one student echoed Daniels’ observation verbatim: “John Lewis is brilliant.” But he added, “However, he tends to presuppose students having more knowledge than is reasonable.” <---- Spot on

Also, I had Leslie Richardson for a poetry class - nothing like having a hot poetry teacher. She'd read a poem and my toes would curl...
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop