PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who was the greatest Swimmer in SMU history

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who was the greatest Swimmer in SMU history

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 am

My nomination would be Jerry Heidenreich.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Who was the greatest Swimmer in SMU history

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:14 am

Second that nomination
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:07 pm

third that nomination. and Red Barr as the greatest swimming coach.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:08 pm

redpony wrote:third that nomination. and Red Barr as the greatest swimming coach.

slam dunk on both
Charleston Pony

Postby Water Pony » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 pm

I am prejudice as I swam for “Red” Barr, who built SMU into a national swimming power. In my three varsity years, we placed 5th, 7th and 5th in the NCAAs. Coach Mac continued that tradition, when Red passed in 1971.

As for our best swimmers, there are many candidates, including most notably Steve Lindquist ‘83, Ricardo Prado ‘84’, Lars Frolander ‘98, and Ryan Berube ‘96. All were Olympians and NCAA champions. However, Steve Heidenreich and his performance at the 1972 Olympics (2 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze medals) ranks as one of the amazing performances by an SMU Swimmer. Only Mark Spitz and his 7 Golds shined brighter in in Munich.

SMU Swimming and Diving has a rich sports history. One that began with our first SWC Conference Championship in ‘57, which included George McMillion, and will continue into the future with our renewed commitment with the new Aquatic Center. Our goal should be Top Ten every year.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Water Pony wrote:I am prejudice as I swam for “Red” Barr, who built SMU into a national swimming power. In my three varsity years, we placed 5th, 7th and 5th in the NCAAs. Coach Mac continued that tradition, when Red passed in 1971.

As for our best swimmers, there are many candidates, including most notably Steve Lindquist ‘83, Ricardo Prado ‘84’, Lars Frolander ‘98, and Ryan Berube ‘96. All were Olympians and NCAA champions. However, Steve Heidenreich and his performance at the 1972 Olympics (2 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze medals) ranks as one of the amazing performances by an SMU Swimmer. Only Mark Spitz and his 7 Golds shined brighter in in Munich.

SMU Swimming and Diving has a rich sports history. One that began with our first SWC Conference Championship in ‘57, which included George McMillion, and will continue into the future with our renewed commitment with the new Aquatic Center. Our goal should be Top Ten every year.
Great info I knew you would know.
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 am

No reason SMU shouldn't excel in the "country club sports". I remember when the outdoor pool and diving platform was completed the bookstore sold t-shirts with the caption "Southern Methodist Country Club". Not sure it was one of my parents' favorite shirts when 2 of their sons came home from Dallas wearing those.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyswim » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:53 pm

I would say it was Lundquist, Heidenreich, Frolander, Berube.
Lundquist won 7 NCAA Championships, set 9 World Records, and won 2 Olympic Gold Medals.
He would have won two more Gold Medals except the Olympics did not happen in 1980.
Jerry should won once NCAA championship and never broke a World Record individually.
Jerry had a great Olympics in 1972, but Steve was great for many more years.
Frolander and Berube were very good - partly because they had 3 good individual events at NCAA's that they
scored a bunch of points in, plus they were good relay swimmers.
Prado was great, but wasn't much of a factor on relays which are a huge part of college swimming.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:28 am

Great point Pony Swim. Add to that the Jerry got his golds on the Relays with Spitz. His silver came very close to breaking Sptiz's gold streak, but was still silver. Didn't Lundquist miss part of a year as well because he was injured?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Thumper » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Lunquist
Thumper
Varsity

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:No reason SMU shouldn't excel in the "country club sports". I remember when the outdoor pool and diving platform was completed the bookstore sold t-shirts with the caption "Southern Methodist Country Club". Not sure it was one of my parents' favorite shirts when 2 of their sons came home from Dallas wearing those.

Those t-shirts were around before the outdoor pool. In the "just say yes" era you also could snag a Southern Methadrine University tee.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:49 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:No reason SMU shouldn't excel in the "country club sports". I remember when the outdoor pool and diving platform was completed the bookstore sold t-shirts with the caption "Southern Methodist Country Club". Not sure it was one of my parents' favorite shirts when 2 of their sons came home from Dallas wearing those.

Those t-shirts were around before the outdoor pool. In the "just say yes" era you also could snag a Southern Methadrine University tee.

On the previous question, Heidenreich and Barr. Barr had two sons on campus when I was there. I remember one telling me "Coaching can only do so much, otherwise I would be an All American."
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:45 pm

Water Pony wrote:I am prejudice as I swam for “Red” Barr, who built SMU into a national swimming power. In my three varsity years, we placed 5th, 7th and 5th in the NCAAs. Coach Mac continued that tradition, when Red passed in 1971.

Make SMU Swimming Great Again
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 am

Our best swimmer is a great topic; however, we may never know the real answer. We had some truly great South African swimmers in the late 50s, 60s and 70s who could not compete at the world level due to apartheid. They could only compete at the British Empire Games if they paid their own way as South Africa had few resources and few sports governing bodies. Our list should include Steve Mulholland, Alistair "Tiny" Barnetson, Tudor Lacy, Aubrey Burer, Vernon Slovin and ( brain fart missing one of the guys from the early 70s ).
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:17 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Our best swimmer is a great topic; however, we may never know the real answer. We had some truly great South African swimmers in the late 50s, 60s and 70s who could not compete at the world level due to apartheid. They could only compete at the British Empire Games if they paid their own way as South Africa had few resources and few sports governing bodies. Our list should include Steve Mulholland, Alistair "Tiny" Barnetson, Tudor Lacy, Aubrey Burer, Vernon Slovin and ( brain fart missing one of the guys from the early 70s ).

Pocono,

Thanks for sharing the South African swimmers, who helped build our reputation and brand as a destination for excellence. Their enrollment help generate higher expectations for the team. They were world class competitors, who were barred from the Olympics and international events. Their decision to swim for an American university, SMU, benefited them and us.

Further, in the Sixties, US swimmers dominated internationally. More impressive was our depth. It was common that a majority of the top ten times, where done by Americans. Today, the US still excels at the Olympics with Gold and holds many World Records, but the results are more distributed globally. Along with the Australians, we educated the world on what it takes to excel and international swimmers now are worthy competitors and often stars.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Other Sports