PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hey Sam Blum

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hey Sam Blum

Postby Dukie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Is there any way you can get the DMN to stop stepping on your positive coverage of SMU with the photo they keep using of an admittedly empty Ford Stadium from *2017*? They've done it multiple times this month; the most egregious is not only using that image with the story about SMU signing UT grad transfer Chris Nagy, but adding this caption: "People watch the kick-off of the SMU and UCF game at Gerald J. Ford Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017, in Dallas. SMU has had poor attendance in recent games.(Jae S. Lee / Staff Photographer)."

What the hell does that caption have to do with the signing?? Did the DMN overpay Jae S. Lee for that pic and so it needs to be used again and again?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... -of-texas/
Dukie
Heisman

Re: Hey Sam Blum

Postby Ikus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:45 pm

I'm sure Sam doesn't choose pictures and captions, but I'm with you, Dukie. That caption makes no sense.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Ikus wrote:I'm sure Sam doesn't choose pictures and captions, but I'm with you, Dukie. That caption makes no sense.

He doesn't, of course, but perhaps he can get them to do better. I realize this is trivial but there are no real sports that I care about going on and I am bored. At least golf came back today, and the Colonial without fans is not nearly as bad as the Bundesliga without fans.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Dukie wrote:Is there any way you can get the DMN to stop stepping on your positive coverage of SMU with the photo they keep using of an admittedly empty Ford Stadium from *2017*? They've done it multiple times this month; the most egregious is not only using that image with the story about SMU signing UT grad transfer Chris Nagy, but adding this caption: "People watch the kick-off of the SMU and UCF game at Gerald J. Ford Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017, in Dallas. SMU has had poor attendance in recent games.(Jae S. Lee / Staff Photographer)."

What the hell does that caption have to do with the signing?? Did the DMN overpay Jae S. Lee for that pic and so it needs to be used again and again?

The DMN has changed the caption below the picture to read "SMU will bring its first wave of returning athletes back to campus on June 15, with subsequent returnees on July 6 and July 13." But, the picture is still the same.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:24 pm

If you are too young to know, the DMN has been the house organ of UT football from day one. They constantly slight SMU. Look back at how they piled on when we were investigated by the NCAA as far back as at least the early 70s and yet refused to report on improper behavior of the UT program. Anyone who cares to dig into it will find that UT players were on the state payroll working at a non-existent printing office back in the 70s. The DMN let the story die when UT said that they themselves had investigated the admittedly true story but determined that it wasn't their fault. Unlike TCU, we simply do not have a hometown paper that is supportive of our programs, rather one that sees it as their journalistic mission to keep us down.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoss » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:54 am

H-E-B Mustang wrote:
Dukie wrote:Is there any way you can get the DMN to stop stepping on your positive coverage of SMU with the photo they keep using of an admittedly empty Ford Stadium from *2017*? They've done it multiple times this month; the most egregious is not only using that image with the story about SMU signing UT grad transfer Chris Nagy, but adding this caption: "People watch the kick-off of the SMU and UCF game at Gerald J. Ford Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017, in Dallas. SMU has had poor attendance in recent games.(Jae S. Lee / Staff Photographer)."

The DMN has changed the caption below the picture to read "SMU will bring its first wave of returning athletes back to campus on June 15, with subsequent returnees on July 6 and July 13." But, the picture is still the same.

Wow. Good for the DMN for changing, and for Dukie for bringing this up. Maybe Sam saw this page and made the request?
Hoss
All-American

Postby SMU SID » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:01 pm

He did choose the photo. I requested a change and he adjusted the cutline. His next article used a much better photo.
SMU SID
All-American

Postby SMUstang07 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Why would he specifically choose that photo from years ago?
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:05 pm

LOL at anyone thinking Sam Blum would want the DMN to paint SMU in a better light. He might be the biggest hater at the paper. We need to run that kid out of town, he’s just looking for controversy to make a name for himself.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:50 am

I don't know that he's got that agenda, though you are right that it's at least in part about Sam Blum and selling papers. Sports journalists are always careful not to show any bias -- and often go overboard in the other direction in order to prove the point. Though he's not a sports journalist per se, think of Troy Aikman and the Cowboys: He's a diehard, through and through Cowboy. You'll never, ever see him show the slightest inkling that that is true in public. (Were that were true with the rest of the journalism, which is about as biased now as it ever has been -- and that's saying something). But, yeah, Sam's not doing us any favors, for sure.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:02 am

As a Redskins fan, I've watched my share of Cowboy/Skins games when Aikman has been in the booth. I've always thought he was trying to be fair in his commentary on the game. Obviously, his Cowboy love leaks out once in awhile, but rarely. That's why he on the A team for NFL games on Fox.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Football