PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Football recruiting update?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Football recruiting update?

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:21 pm

I'm not asking for inside info, stuff that can only be obtained behind a paywall or whatever. But what's going on with recruiting right now? Quiet / no contact period I assume.

It's looking like we continue to be the favorite for Savion Byrd. Man, what a great get he would be. What about Wheaton or others? This class is solid right now.

Also, any word on potential transfers? Or is that not to be found out until later?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Football recruiting update?

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:52 am

Good talk, Russ.
ponyboy

Postby RedRiverPony » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:38 pm

Went to the recruiting site called "Google"

Just about everywhere on the internet it seems Byrd is likely ours. Maybe Flower Mound DE/OLB Stony Eby, too.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:37 pm

Honestly, I don't think any of it matters right now.

There are going to be schools that handle the Covid thing and BLM well, and others who absolutely fall flat on their face.

Once more schools fall on their face, the musical chairs will start all over again. For example, do you think any Okie State, Ole Miss, or Miss State commits are solid right now? If SMU forces players back too soon and they end up getting sick, our awesome recruiting class is going to get destroyed.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:32 pm

You really think it matters that much? I mean, of course if a school totally screws things up and personally starts 2020 pandemic two, then yes. But really?

Edit: Yes, really. There are two camps out there: 1.COVID-19 is a serious threat to the survival of the human race. People who don't wear masks are worse than scum. Most progressives are in this camp. Driven by a fear that could end up having been the appropriate response. 2.COVID-19 is a bogey no more dangerous than a paper cut, if at all. Regardless, the best way out of this thing is to go through this thing. If that doesn't work, God will preserve our souls in paradise. This describes most conservatives.

Since most players are African American -- and most African Americans are progressive, then yes I guess it does matter.
ponyboy

Postby Dukie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:41 pm

ponyboy wrote:You really think it matters that much? I mean, of course if a school totally screws things up and personally starts 2020 pandemic two, then yes. But really?

Edit: Yes, really. There are two camps out there: 1.COVID-19 is a serious threat to the survival of the human race. People who don't wear masks are worse than scum. Most progressives are in this camp. Driven by a fear that could end up having been the appropriate response. 2.COVID-19 is a bogey no more dangerous than a paper cut, if at all. Regardless, the best way out of this thing is to go through this thing. If that doesn't work, God will preserve our souls in paradise. This describes most conservatives.

Since most players are African American -- and most African Americans are progressive, then yes I guess it does matter.

I realize that you are parodying both positions, and I agree with you that the only way out of this thing is through it. But how painful going through it is, both in terms of health and the economy, has a huge range of possible outcomes.

Wear a mask.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 pm

We are in this pandemic for the long haul, so we have to keep going, and there is no reason to panic. I don't live in fear because I take the appropriate precautions. How difficult is it to wear a mask, avoid unnecessary exposure and keeping a safe distance? One extreme is more idiotic than the other, but both extremes are idiotic.
mustangxc

Postby leopold » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:44 am

Nice addition to the class and great to finally get some positive sports news related to SMU.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:34 pm

How long has it been, a few weeks? We're in the best shape, program wise, we've been in many years. Solid recruiting class thus far. About equal with Cavan's '97 or '98 classes right now. Something to enjoy and appreciate.
ponyboy

Return to Recruiting