PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Covid in Moody

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Covid in Moody

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Covid in Moody

Postby Lotus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29 pm

That's a lot scarier than an outdoor venue
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 pm

It’s not scary at all.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:18 am

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... -the-body/

Treatment for honeycomb lung is a lung transplant. I'd say that is pretty scary.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:04 pm

Looks scary. Need more data. Some caution is a good thing. Need to be wise about how much caution is too much. Mortality rate in the U.S. is still stuck at 100%.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 pm

PB- I think you are totally incorrect- you say the mortality rate is 100%- so you are implying that everybody who get the virus dies. Not so. Suggest you check more data.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:28 pm

If you're over 80 its hovering around 25%. 70-79 around 14%. 60-69 around 4% and below that is negligible. Overall about 3%.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:40 pm

Most of us wouldn't die from the virus, but many of those affected with symptoms have had some awful persistent and lingering issues stemming from the virus. We don't know who will be affected severely by the virus so I don't want to be one of those that catches it even if I likely wouldn't die from it.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:10 am

redpony wrote:PB- I think you are totally incorrect- you say the mortality rate is 100%- so you are implying that everybody who get the virus dies. Not so. Suggest you check more data.

It's a policy discussion. I'm saying everyone dies of some cause, that all of this is a function of the value in dollars of prolonging a life, particularly the lives of many people who would pass within a relatively short period of time without COVID-19. To use an extreme example, do we want to return to the Stone Age so that we can give grandma two more weeks? I hope everyone -- including grandma -- would admit that, no, that's not a good tradeoff. So the question then becomes: where do we draw the line?
Last edited by ponyboy on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:14 am

So I guess you're cool with abortion too since those babies will die eventually anyway!
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:30 am

No. Old people who die of COVID have at least had the opportunity to live their lives.

Let me be clear: While I certainly have an opinion, I don't claim to know the answer as to what we should do about this virus. But you cannot get around the question I ask above. It has to be taken into consideration. We cannot return to the Stone Age so that we can save one grandmother.

Given that, where do we draw the line?
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 am

Frankly, we need good leadership (universities, mayors, governors, presidents) to steer the masses. We didn't need to shut down the country if we simply exercised sound judgement. Mandate masks, no large gatherings, social distancing, etc. Do that and we survive this ordeal with much less economic and human casualty. Unfortunately we live in a world where too many people with little to no education propagate myths and conspiracies while denying science.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:06 pm

Agreed 100%, my friend.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:09 pm

By the way, I just ran the numbers on Texas (source: covidtracking.com) and it appears that the mortality rate in Texas is about 2 in 1000, about twice as deadly as the seasonal flu. Enough to shut down a good portion of the economy? Well, we do have to consider other factors: What helps the argument for the government to step in with the measures it has is the fact that it appears there are other negative effects, see for instance Dukie's reference to "honeycomb lung." But what hurts the argument are deaths (from delayed surgeries, stress, and the like) directly caused by state intervention. Plus whatever value you want to put on individual freedom. And then of course the loss of jobs, possible recession, and the huge debt we're accumulating and passing down to future generations.

I think there's a good chance government should have done nothing at all. I guess we shall see in the future, when all data is in and we can reasonably tally the cost. Hopefully we'll learn from the experience.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Remarkably in Virginia we've had twice as many flu deaths as COVID deaths in raw numbers.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Next

Return to Basketball