PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Greatest Shooting Guard

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Greatest Shooting Guard

Postby JasonB » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Shake was better than Q Ross or Sasser.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:11 pm

JasonB wrote:Shake was better than Q Ross or Sasser.

Agree but he also was asked to play PG when he was really a 2 guard/shooting guard
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 pm

SMUguy wrote:My all-time favorite: Quinton Ross

Thank you. I’m glad someone finally mentioned Q.

I’ve got to give a mention to one of my favorite all-time Mustangs, Stephen Woods. He wasn’t the most talented, but a really good player.

Also, there might not have been a better all-around guard at SMU in the last thirty years than Sterling. Tough as nails, did everything on the court and just a winner.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby smuheritagehall » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:53 pm

From the WFAA archives, here are some highlights of the SMU - Ole Miss basketball game played Dec. 27, 1968. SMU won 94-70 with Gene Phillips scoring 24 points. Link to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqdp_C-o6o

For those of you who wanted to see a clip of Gene Phillips I found one. this is from the 1968 Ole Miss game at Moody. Nothing against Sasser but Phillips was just sensational!
Gerry York
SMU Heritage Hall
smuheritagehall

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:49 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Dave Piehler

I loved all of the guys on that team. I remember Piehler and Billy Allen driving to the basket over and over until the opponents were breathless or in foul trouble. They either scored or were fouled almost every time it seemed. Those teams had some talent but I felt that overall they under-performed. Brad Branson. Johnny James. Lots of good memories.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby digman52 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 am

smuheritagehall wrote:From the WFAA archives, here are some highlights of the SMU - Ole Miss basketball game played Dec. 27, 1968. SMU won 94-70 with Gene Phillips scoring 24 points. Link to video:

For those of you who wanted to see a clip of Gene Phillips I found one. this is from the 1968 Ole Miss game at Moody. Nothing against Sasser but Phillips was just sensational!
Gerry York
SMU Heritage Hall

For those attendance watchers, that was a pretty small crowd watching back in 1968. Looked like the 1,500 faithful to me, back then too.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:10 am

Remember basketball was an after thought in the SWC in the 60's. Until Houston joined the SWC in 1973, SWC hoops was like football in the winter. Our back-up center, AKA enforcer, Clayton Koerver was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in 1973. When it was announced that Houston was joining SMU, Arkansas and Tech went all in and recruited some All-State players. We got Ira Terrell.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:07 pm

digman52 wrote:
smuheritagehall wrote:From the WFAA archives, here are some highlights of the SMU - Ole Miss basketball game played Dec. 27, 1968. SMU won 94-70 with Gene Phillips scoring 24 points. Link to video:

Gerry York
SMU Heritage Hall

For those attendance watchers, that was a pretty small crowd watching back in 1968. Looked like the 1,500 faithful to me, back then too.

This clip was from a December game when the students weren't around, so definitely that part of the season when only the 1,500 tend to show up
Charleston Pony

Postby ld72 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:22 pm

I played with Gene & roomed with him as a freshman; there was never a game, home or away, where he wasn't the best player on the floor, and that's saying something because we played some great teams. He was unstoppable - in a Christmas tournament in Kansas against the Jayhawks he had something close to 30 at the half so they fouled him out early in the second half. Should have had a long pro career as a backup & sometime starter but got with the wrong coach and never had a fair shot. We didn't have traditional positions back then like shooting guard, but he could play and excel at the point, shooting guard or small forward as they are known today. I was on the floor when he set the SWC single game record in Austin (we combined for 58 points that afternoon - 51 & 7!) Wish we had won a championship with him like I got to celebrate in 1971-72 - he deserved it. I noticed where someone earlier mentioned our one game playoff game in Waco to decide who represented the SWC in the NCAA tournament; we lost by 2 in OT when our point guard missed a 1+1 with 5 seconds left in regulation, but he had played a great game that night. What you may not remember is that my teammate, starter & buddy, Bobby Rollings, sprained his ankle severely in our win over Baylor in Waco a few days earlier that clinched the tie with Texas, so he was not available for the playoff. Even though his replacement, Rick Billik, played a fine game I am positive that Bobby would have made at least a 1 point difference, and we would have won in regulation. We were so thin and played so many minutes that we were exhausted in OT, so having Bobby would have given us some rest as well. Anyway, Gene gets my vote for best shooting guard.
ld72

Greatest Shooting Guard

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Larry. It was great watching you, Bobby, David, Gene, et al play.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby used to be 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Gene, no doubt. Could shoot the daylights out from a distance and at that time there was not a 3 point line, he also played decent defense but could also get a lot of rebounds. He could have had a lot more career points if the 3 point line was available, and maybe some more points if you could dunk but dunking was illegal during that time frame.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball