PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Covid in Moody

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Covid in Moody

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm

ponyboy, this is a good source of information

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

In NYC, of the 15,230 reported deaths (as of last month), only 99 are individuals without any underlying medical conditions (some deaths are unknown) and of those 99, only 20 are below the age of 45.

Nationwide, 40% of all deaths are Nursing Home related, that number spikes to 70% in NY (and some other states) due primarily to poor decisions by their state governments.

Australia has reported 104 COVID-19 deaths with ZERO deaths for individuals under the age of 40. Mental health experts there say suicides related to COVID-19 (economic hardship, isolation,etc) could increase by 1,500 per year for the next 5 years under current economic conditions.

Overall, I think governments worldwide did a good job containing Covid, but these economies have to continue to open up (smartly, of course).
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 pm

Grand Canyon’s entire team is quarantined.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... oronavirus
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am

Assuming that once you've had it, you're clear (which is not totally agreed yet), Grand Canyon State may be the best equipped for the fall.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:ponyboy, this is a good source of information

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

In NYC, of the 15,230 reported deaths (as of last month), only 99 are individuals without any underlying medical conditions (some deaths are unknown) and of those 99, only 20 are below the age of 45.

Nationwide, 40% of all deaths are Nursing Home related, that number spikes to 70% in NY (and some other states) due primarily to poor decisions by their state governments.

Australia has reported 104 COVID-19 deaths with ZERO deaths for individuals under the age of 40. Mental health experts there say suicides related to COVID-19 (economic hardship, isolation,etc) could increase by 1,500 per year for the next 5 years under current economic conditions.

Overall, I think governments worldwide did a good job containing Covid, but these economies have to continue to open up (smartly, of course).

Thanks, SoCal. Interesting data for sure.

Of course you don't make massive policy decisions based on one data set, but here's what the NY figures suggest to me: Unless you're abnormally unhealthy, your chances of dying from COVID-19 are essentially nil, whatever your age. Which would mean the overwhelming majority of us can go about our businesses, doing whatever we feel like as individuals we might want to do to avoid the inconvenience of maybe catching the thing (hand washing, masks, etc.) We would need, as always, to be very careful when encountering the sickly or frail. But maybe take an extra caution and FaceTime grandma at the nursing home or the young cancer patient in the hospital instead of visiting face to face.

So what about my 79 year old father, who has no underlying health conditions and walks two hilly miles outdoors a day? Based on this data, I'd recommend he go about his business almost as per normal. Might be a good idea to wash his hands when comes back from the grocery store. Maybe wear a mask in a crowd. My dear mother isn't quite as active, so I'd like it if she'd be a little more careful. But she can pretty much do most everything pre-COVID. The rest of us need to be out and about, almost as if nothing happened -- including attending SMU basketball and football games.

Obviously, I don't think governments did a good job regarding COVID-19. Hindsight is always 20/20, and again this is a limited data set. But you really have to pause before you consider invoking extreme measures to restrict individual freedom, costing the American people tens of trillions of dollars in the process. I'm with Reagan that "the most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Basketball