PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How come this did not make bigger news? Let's play football.

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How come this did not make bigger news? Let's play footb

Postby Dukie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:00 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:That had to have been quite nerve racking. I don't want to demean the AIDS epidemic in any way, because it is heartwrenching. That said, I do think it is fair to point out that at it's peak, 40K people in the US died from it every year, while this epidemic has already seen 130K deaths.

Dukie when you were copying and pasting all the quotes of different people you must have made an error because the quote above was not something I ever posted.

Sorry, it was JasonB.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:12 am

mustangxc wrote:
ponyte wrote:

AIDS was not nearly as scary because if you were not sexually active or were at least in a monogamous relationship you had nothing to be concerned about whatsoever. This disease is much more scary in that you can die by simply going to the supermarket. Of course, context is key for everything.

Tell that to Arthur Ashe's family. He caught AIDS from a transfusion.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Dukie wrote:Your statements minimizing this pandemic are wrong. And dangerous.

Listen, I'm sorry you're having a hard time. But we've got a guy in ponyte who's on the front line -- for you, for me, for the rest of us -- who's giving his well-earned, informed opinion. Good faith disagreement with that opinion is fine, but you need to be a little less dogmatic, it seems to me. Open yourself to the very real possibility that you don't know everything, that we shouldn't just turn over the running of this nation to you and those like you, the anointed ones.

I rarely go the political route publicly, but I do find it fascinating, yet deeply ironic and disappointing, that liberals -- of all groups -- have turned out to be the most illiberal. Sanctimonious, secular puritans, all of you, set to force your God-granted wisdom down the rest of our throats. Whatever happened to conversation, humility, dialogue, respect?
ponyboy

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:41 pm

" Whatever happened to conversation, humility, dialogue, respect?" Totally gone, thanks to the Cable News and the rest of the biased Media bubbles we all seem to live in these days. Sad, isn't it?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:05 pm

ponyboy wrote:

Listen, I'm sorry you're having a hard time. But we've got a guy in ponyte who's on the front line -- for you, for me, for the rest of us -- who's giving his well-earned, informed opinion. Good faith disagreement with that opinion is fine, but you need to be a little less dogmatic, it seems to me. Open yourself to the very real possibility that you don't know everything, that we shouldn't just turn over the running of this nation to you and those like you, the anointed ones.

I rarely go the political route publicly, but I do find it fascinating, yet deeply ironic and disappointing, that liberals -- of all groups -- have turned out to be the most illiberal. Sanctimonious, secular puritans, all of you, set to force your God-granted wisdom down the rest of our throats. Whatever happened to conversation, humility, dialogue, respect?

I'll admit to being set off by an absolutely incomprehensible comparison between COVID-19 and AIDS. As well as an attempt by ponyte to claim some sort of unique knowledge of the risk of AIDS. And yes, I'm not going to accept a blithe statement, from him or anyone, that COVID-19 is "not scary." That is indeed a dangerous comment, from him or anyone. It is also dogmatic.

I have not asserted that I have all the answers. If anyone did, it's ponyte in declaring this virus "not scary." Yes, he sees a lot in the ICU. He does not see deaths at home. He does not know long-term impacts on organ function in those who do not die. He does not know when an effective vaccine will come, or if sufficient numbers of Americans will take that vaccine. He does not know how long antibodies last or how effective they are (Tom Hanks' recent statements are not encouraging). And he does not know whether the new, lower death toll is permanent, or whether that curve will rise, as it has begun to rise, in AZ, FL, and TX. I am in favor of humility and caution with regard to COVID-19. ponyte's statements that set me off? Not humble.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Dukie wrote:
ponyboy wrote:

I'll admit to being set off by an absolutely incomprehensible comparison between COVID-19 and AIDS. As well as an attempt by ponyte to claim some sort of unique knowledge of the risk of AIDS. And yes, I'm not going to accept a blithe statement, from him or anyone, that COVID-19 is "not scary." That is indeed a dangerous comment, from him or anyone. It is also dogmatic.

I have not asserted that I have all the answers. If anyone did, it's ponyte in declaring this virus "not scary." Yes, he sees a lot in the ICU. He does not see deaths at home. He does not know long-term impacts on organ function in those who do not die. He does not know when an effective vaccine will come, or if sufficient numbers of Americans will take that vaccine. He does not know how long antibodies last or how effective they are (Tom Hanks' recent statements are not encouraging). And he does not know whether the new, lower death toll is permanent, or whether that curve will rise, as it has begun to rise, in AZ, FL, and TX. I am in favor of humility and caution with regard to COVID-19. ponyte's statements that set me off? Not humble.

far from an expert - but I found this article interesting. Not minimizing it but clearing up some fallacies. feel free to cc and paste

https://off-guardian.org/2020/07/07/sec ... ven-close/
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Printing that one so I can read in depth, gostangs
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Masked up at my doctors office yesterday. He commented that his name for this was the November 3rd virus. That caught me off guard. We have many ways to treat this and we should test more and early treat.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:08 pm

EastStang wrote:Tell that to Arthur Ashe's family. He caught AIDS from a transfusion.

Yes, and that is an extremely rare phenomenon. Most people fortunately have not had to worry about that.
mustangxc

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:18 am

Transfusions, drug use, hemophilia - plenty of ways to contract it.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:43 am

DallasDiehard wrote:Transfusions, drug use, hemophilia - plenty of ways to contract it.

...and none of them involve going to the supermarket and contracting HIV with casual contact. Sorry, as someone who is deathly afraid of catching any STD's I take the necessary precautions not to expose myself and unless I am very unlucky due to a reckless mistake at a hospital or have some deranged person maliciously stick me with a contaminated needle really don't need to worry about contracting HIV. If we all wash our hands and wear masks we can severely limit the spread of this virus, but it is still a much much much greater risk than walking around and catching HIV on contact.
mustangxc

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 pm

BUS wrote:Masked up at my doctors office yesterday. He commented that his name for this was the November 3rd virus. That caught me off guard. We have many ways to treat this and we should test more and early treat.

The hysteria, will drop significantly, starting November 4th.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm

There is currently no hysteria. We are all able to leave our houses and go about as we please. No matter who wins the election in November, the path forward is currently to wear masks in public, socially distance, and avoid large gatherings.

Meanwhile, the ICU capacity for hospitals in Houston is currently full. The morgue in South Texas is currently beyond capacity and has requested FEMA to send some refrigerated trucks to house the cadavers while they catch up. That is not hysteria, it is a reality. The fact that 99% of the population will survive this pandemic does not negate the fact that overall morbidity and mortality rates are above our historical numbers and above our capacity. While to some not being able to get medical attention and have their loved ones cremated is not worrisome, God help anyone who does have to go to the hospital and is left unattended because their aren't enough doctors and nurses to tend to anyone and God help anyone who has to live with a cadaver in their house for several days because there aren't enough people to take care of that too!

Hysteria was the knuckleheads throwing temper tantrums because they couldn't get a haircut. Get a grip!
mustangxc

Postby MustangFan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:45 pm

133K dead is not "hysteria"

If anything, there isn't nearly enough hysteria. As casual as many are about this, especially in the south, there's no way we'll have football this year.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby MustangFan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:48 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:Does one strain of the flu ever kill 150k Americans (not to mention all the above normal “pneumonia” deaths nationwide recently) in 4 months while the whole country is on some kind of lockdown?

I said it’s a bad flu. Also, those death counts are cooked beyond belief; I think George Floyd got counted as a Covid death in Minnesota.

College athletes have a better chance of dying when they drive to school than they do of Covid.

If the numbers are inaccurate, they're low. Think how many people feel sick and have not been able to get tested.
MustangFan
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop