PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC postpones soccer, volleyball until spring 2021

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

AAC postpones soccer, volleyball until spring 2021

Postby PonyPride » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:04 pm

From theamerican.org:

American Athletic Conference Postpones Soccer and Volleyball Competition to Spring 2021

Story LinksIRVING, Texas – The American Athletic Conference announced today that it will postpone all competition and conference championships in the sports of men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball until the spring of 2021 to align with the NCAA championship season. A decision regarding cross country competition will be forthcoming pending further NCAA clarification.

The decision was approved by the conference’s athletic directors and senior woman administrators following the NCAA Division I Board of Directors’ confirmation that NCAA Division I fall championships would move to the spring.

“We remain committed to providing our student-athletes a quality experience and competing at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics,” said American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco. “We were prepared to conduct competition in the fall in men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball, but moving to the spring was in the best interest of our student-athletes as it will align our schedules to allow our teams to compete for national championships.”

The American will announce the spring regular season and championship formats and schedules after the NCAA Division I Council clarifies the revised playing and practice season and championship formats.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: AAC postpones soccer, volleyball until spring 2021

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:27 pm

Too bad, but I guess they really didn't have a choice.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:35 pm

I still don't expect football to happen, either
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:50 pm

That sucks.
Are there and draft-worthy seniors who might opt out in the spring?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby mtrout » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:22 am

AAC should do whatever the SEC does like https://lsusports.net/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule. I thought Aresco was going to lead us through this. If you want to shut it down because of positive tests then that's fine but to shut it down 'just because' is questionable.

Pro tip: College age kids' mask compliance is low. I don't know if sports are any more of a risk than general college life.

This year (2020-21 academic year sport) just isn't going to happen for many.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Other Sports