PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Most devastating loss since _____ ?????

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Most devastating loss since _____ ?????

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:20 pm

mustangxc wrote:The most devastating loss since losing to Rice 31-27 in 2006 with a bowl game on the line. That one still stings. We've had many!

Too many losses with bowl games on the line, that's for sure. How about the '97 team that had won 5 straight and went to 0-10 TCU where a win would have had that team 7-4 and probably bowl bound for the 1st time since 1984. As I recall, Cavan suspended our leading rusher Donte Womack, who earlier that season had almost single handedly beaten Arkansas in a game played in Shreveport and the 'Stangs lost 21-18 to the frogs which probably cost them a bowl game.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoss » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:55 pm

SMU/Tulsa 2 years ago. Ponies had a bowl bid on the line and stumbled through 3 quarters. Late rally fell short, and the season was over.

We're angry today and we're 7-2.

Not even close.
Hoss
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:54 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:The most devastating loss since losing to Rice 31-27 in 2006 with a bowl game on the line. That one still stings. We've had many!

Too many losses with bowl games on the line, that's for sure. How about the '97 team that had won 5 straight and went to 0-10 TCU where a win would have had that team 7-4 and probably bowl bound for the 1st time since 1984. As I recall, Cavan suspended our leading rusher Donte Womack, who earlier that season had almost single handedly beaten Arkansas in a game played in Shreveport and the 'Stangs lost 21-18 to the frogs which probably cost them a bowl game.

Cavan punishing Donte for trying to handle up on his business!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

Hoss wrote:SMU/Tulsa 2 years ago. Ponies had a bowl bid on the line and stumbled through 3 quarters. Late rally fell short, and the season was over.

We're angry today and we're 7-2.

Not even close.

The reason I chose Rice over those two is 2006 was more recent than 1997 but equally painful. 2018 was the same result, but it hadn't been 20+ seasons since our last bowl game. 2013 v UCF with a bowl bid on the line was also painful. This loss stings because we have an outstanding senior QB with a solid team and likely our best chance to win the conference in the next few years. Hopefully Preston Stone learns the offense quickly and lives up to the hype and we should have another shot in 2022 or 2023.
mustangxc

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Worst loss still has to be that Holiday Bowl against BYU. I was there. Huge lead with a Top Ten team and lost it on a Hail Mary end of game catch. This loss to Tulsa hurts because of missing a chance to play for the Championship, but we are not a great team even with a win. But I am getting over it and want to win out Get mad, boys, and win the next two.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Doak Walker graduating. Never recovered until the Pony Express.
ponyte

Postby malonish » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Most devastating loss since _____ ?????

The last one. And the one after that. And the one...
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang addict » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:50 pm

Holiday Bowl loss to BYU 46-45 December 1980. I believe we led at one point by 30. MOST Devastating loss.
mustang addict
Junior Varsity

Postby Donnell88 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:15 am

mustang addict wrote:Holiday Bowl loss to BYU 46-45 December 1980. I believe we led at one point by 30. MOST Devastating loss.

I always rationalized the loss as being an (almost) minor bowl game that a lot of college football fans weren't even watching. Now, if it had been the Cotton Bowl or Rose Bowl, I'd still be upset.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Georgia 24 SMU 9 1966 Cotton Bowl Classic
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football