PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulsa Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tulsa Game Thread

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:22 am

Arkpony wrote:When we rush 3 he has all day.

This :!: :!: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:40 am

ArkPony is absolutely right. Why in the world do we employ the three-man pass rush in obvious passing situations. I have never understood the wisdom of giving the opposing quarterback an extra 5-6 seconds to throw. Prevent defense prevents (bleep) all.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Tulsa's 3 man rush had no trouble pressuring Buechele to hurry his throws. Last night was a mis-match in the trenches and with our wideouts against their DBs...not unlike the Cincinnati game.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Tulsa's 3 man rush had no trouble pressuring Buechele to hurry his throws. Last night was a mis-match in the trenches and with our wideouts against their DBs...not unlike the Cincinnati game.

So what you are saying is basically, we can only get points on the board when we are playing average or below defenses. :)

I never thought I would say this but we clearly have a lack of depth in WRs. Rice is literally the only one I saw doing anything. Gray I think had one or two good catches then sadly fell apart. Gransen, Page and the others were completely quiet all game. Buchele however didn't do us any favors with some of those lousy [deleted] passes. I get it that it's windy but I'm pretty sure the other team had a QB.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:35 pm

- Penalties killed us on offense. When you are behind the chains against a good defense, and add the wind taking away the deep ball, you are in trouble. When the weather changes, offensive consistency becomes more important than just pure playmakers.
- And offensive consistency starts with the OL. They got toasted all night. 23 was a beast, and having him line up against our frosh LT was not good.
- I'm not sure why we didn't just stick with the modified line used against Temple after the JT injury. I would put that decision on the coaching staff because 52 did not have a good game.
- That said, Ali got a "0" on pass blocking from PFF, and a 49.1 on Run Blocking. I've never seen it before. An overall rating of a 28. And if you noticed, SB was reaching for the snap all night long. Something wasn't right with him, it was awful.
- This was the first game I have seen SB get really rattled. He got hit hard several times, not sure if maybe he had a concussion? But plays like the three step drop and throw on 4th and 8 make no sense for anyone. That has to be on shane, not the OC. Shane was not great in his decision making, and his fear of the OL made him make quicker decisions than he had to a lot of the time.
- The Tulsa movement really played havoc with the RPO decision making the entire game.
- I'm not going to talk about the D, because they were let down by the offensive challenges and on the field way too much. But I will say Zach Smith had NFL level throws to the boundary against the wind in the second half.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:23 pm

The way Buechele was throwing wounded ducks into the wind in that 4th quarter, I wondered if he had been injured on one of his earlier runs but clearly he was making quick reads/throws to avoid getting hit again
Charleston Pony

Postby Hoss » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:01 pm

At least D'Eric King is in Miami now.
Hoss
All-American

Postby sail420s » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:46 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote: Buchele however didn't do us any favors with some of those lousy [deleted] passes. I get it that it's windy but I'm pretty sure the other team had a QB.

In SB's defense, the other team's QB had much easier throws since our secondary thinks being within eyesight of their receiver is "covering" them. It's not like he had to try and fastball one into a tight spot.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:07 pm

sail420s wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote: Buchele however didn't do us any favors with some of those lousy [deleted] passes. I get it that it's windy but I'm pretty sure the other team had a QB.

In SB's defense, the other team's QB had much easier throws since our secondary thinks being within eyesight of their receiver is "covering" them. It's not like he had to try and fastball one into a tight spot.

This
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:43 pm

D'Eriq's new OC is pretty good too.

Coogs were smacked the last time in Dallas and Hicks was the QB.

Some rumor the UH game may not happen due to Covid and injuries.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:39 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Some rumor the UH game may not happen due to Covid and injuries.

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried to duck us this season.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Previous

Return to Football