PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:29 pm

My personal standard, one that I’m sure many here share (and one which I hope our decision makers share), is a tourney appearance this season. There’s still time, but things aren’t looking great right now.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm

just making an appearance would be a joke. too many mediocre teams included. they need to advance of hang it up with their pseudo-coach.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 pm

You’re right. Nothing short of two national championships in a row will suffice.
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 am

ponyboy wrote:My personal standard, one that I’m sure many here share (and one which I hope our decision makers share), is a tourney appearance this season. There’s still time, but things aren’t looking great right now.

Conference tournament?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:40 pm

It's past time. Sorry to see it end this way but he's squandered way too many opportunities. It is clear he has no business being a HC at a major 7 conference.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:09 pm

it will be interesting to see if the money guy and casper will do the right thing and end this misery. BTW did anybody notice how Rick P has fired up IONA bball? hmmm. but we wasn't good enough for us.
redpony

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 pm

mustangxc wrote:It's past time. Sorry to see it end this way but he's squandered way too many opportunities. It is clear he has no business being a HC at a major 7 conference.
He should be toast but won’t be. COVID reprieve for a second season despite it ending in disaster. Sadly, we all know it won’t get any better under this HC.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby FriscoPMG » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:59 pm

Looking at the last 25 years, I consider the JT/Doh years as rock bottom and the LB years obviously as the pinnacle (still can't believe we don't have a tourney win to show for it). Jank is firmly planted in the middle with Dement -- nice teams with good talent that will never get it done. They'll routinely have solid regular seasons and draw an average crowd, but that's it. So sad if SMU is content with that after seeing what Moody can be when you have a competent coach who can build a championship environment. Still hopeful we can reach that same pinnacle (and hopefully exceed it), but Jank ain't it.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:13 pm

If Jank would just for once take ownership of this train wreck and say “I can do better”, I would so respect that. Instead, it’s just excuse after excuse, year after year.
I’m over it and I’m over him.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Ikus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:38 pm

redpony wrote:BTW did anybody notice how Rick P has fired up IONA bball? hmmm. but we wasn't good enough for us.

That SMU wouldn't touch Pitino has nothing to do with whether or not he's "good enough." Their official answer would be because there wasn't an opening. RP has loads of baggage. He could go undefeated and a lit of schools wouldn't go near him.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:37 am

Ikus- don't totally disagree with you but IIRC LB had a little baggage as well. Main point- we need a coach who can win and bring us back to the top. If he has a little baggage then so be it.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:09 am

This has just been a bizarre season and I don't know what to think right now. I was all for moving on from Jank last year and bringing in a splash hire (I was on the Pitino bandwagon) but at this point my primary concern (assuming there will be no NIT for this team) is what next year's roster is going to look like.

As Jank said post game, Covid has basically created a free agency situation in college hoops and if they decide to stay in school, guys like Davis and Hunt will be coveted by other programs. I worry about Anei's health and the long term health of any of our guys who got infected. There is enough talent on this roster to have made some noise this season, but it just got unraveled and I have a hard time putting that on Jank and this staff.

Both SMU's basketball and football programs have prospered in recent years because of transfers and I was excited about McNeill and Anei joining the program but we didn't get to see enough from them this year. We praise Sonny's and his staff's ability to bring in impact transfers but I will credit Jank and his staff for having done a pretty good job in the transfer market as well. Where would this team be without K.D.?

Again...I just don't know what to think. The Travis Mays decision was an easy one. Jank's fate is a much more difficult call as far as I am concerned.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:19 am

Jankovich has a long trajectory of NIT teams. He has no history of NCAA appearances. It's pretty obvious at this point.
mustangxc

Postby Silk » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 pm

redpony wrote:Ikus- don't totally disagree with you but IIRC LB had a little baggage as well. Main point- we need a coach who can win and bring us back to the top. If he has a little baggage then so be it.

You're both right. Also, SMU could have re-signed LB but chose not to. Whether it was dollars, length of contract, the baggage, who knows? Even if LB showed up and said he'd work for half his former salary, I can't imagine him getting the job.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:52 pm

Go get Grant McCasland. Zero baggage. Knows Texas recruiting inside and out. Excellent resume. This program is stuck in neutral/reverse. We need to get it going AGAIN. Not gonna happen with the current regime.
Bergermeister

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball