PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tennessee has vetted Sonny Dykes for HC opening

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tennessee has vetted Sonny Dykes for HC opening

Postby leopold » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:44 pm

I'm hopeful that no matter what happens to CSD the model stays in place and whomever replaces him, whenever that may be, takes notes and sees how to win at SMU. If that's the case, then no matter when he leaves we have taken major steps forward towards becoming a consistent player, at least regionally.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:40 pm

leopold...I am feeling more confident Sonny stays at SMU....Vol fans will go ballistic if the new AD hires Sonny

Legit question...why is Sonny Dykes even on “the list?”

Blows my mind. Do you think other SEC schools even whiffed this guys name when they were searching for a coach? What has this guy done to prove anything? He’s barely above .500 as a head coach....basically worse than Butch Jones. I just don’t get it. Someone enlighten me please.

https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads ... 9D.325521/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:46 pm

If Sonny is smart, and I think he is very smart, he will stay at SMU and grow as well as grow this program the way Coach Patterson did at TCU. I don't think he will find a better fit for himself. He may earn more money at UT in the short term, but won't be as happy and may end up getting fired due to unrealistic expectations. Also, while he would earn more money, how much money does he really need to be happy and financially set for life? Unless his goal is to be extremely rich, which it is for some people, he probably has enough money to do the things he wants to do.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:42 pm

mustangxc wrote:If Sonny is smart, and I think he is very smart, how much money does he really need to be happy and financially set for life?

I totally agree mustangxc. Why go into a pressure cooker school and conference? Life is not bad living in UP/HP making millions of dollars at a school with relatively low expectations smack dab in the one of the hottest states in the country for football recruits....a state you were born in...a state where your Dad was a coaching legend...win the AAC or finish in top three of AAC and you'll probably never get fired...win 7-10 games a year in AAC and you'll probably never get fired...yes life could be worse.....yes sometimes piece of mind is worth more than money.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:30 pm

At least if the worst case scenario comes to pass and Sonny leaves we have the Dallas uniforms to maintain the continuity in recruiting and the transfer portal.

I don't think he would leave. He has a great thing going here.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Shetland » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 am

Only thing that scares me about Sonny leaving is Tech. Obviously Texas too, but that is off the table for at least 3 years. I just don't see him chasing anything other than perfect fit.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby CaptainBungy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:29 am

Reports are that Tenn is hiring Josh Heupel!
CaptainBungy

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:30 am

Heupel is a great hire for the Vols! We keep Sonny and the AAC gets some positive vibes. I hope UCF can bounce back (after our game with them next year).
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:01 am

That is a very questionable hire and a questionable move.

There are a lot of folks who aren't very impressed with him as a coach or on the recruiting trail.
JasonB

Postby docabel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:16 am

JasonB wrote:That is a very questionable hire and a questionable move.

There are a lot of folks who aren't very impressed with him as a coach or on the recruiting trail.

I can see the logic. With the likely ncaa sanctions coming down, they weren't getting their top choices, so let Huepel take the brunt of this for a few years and then go for the gold.
docabel
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 am

Man I wish I could be a throw away coach and get a couple million a year with only upside.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:47 pm

"For many Tennessee fans, the Heupel hire is the next step in coming to grips with what the program is. They’ve ignored a dozen years of evidence that the Vols are just another program—instead believing in Santa Gruden, and believing that hiring coaches like Greg Schiano and Dave Doeren was beneath them. Fact is, this is a tough sell at present.

James Franklin wasn’t leaving the job security of Penn State for Tennessee, no matter how much money White was rumored to be offering. P.J. Fleck? Please. SMU coach Sonny Dykes isn’t leaving the state of Texas for a struggling program that has to battle Alabama, Georgia and Florida every season. And offensive coordinator Tony Elliott wasn’t going to depart the rock-solid reliability of Clemson for Rocky Top." https://www.si.com/college/2021/01/27/t ... pel-future
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Shetland wrote:Only thing that scares me about Sonny leaving is Tech. Obviously Texas too, but that is off the table for at least 3 years. I just don't see him chasing anything other than perfect fit.

Yes, I am not naive to think he may not leave eventually. I simply think he has learned his lesson and will only leave for the right opportunity.

CA Mustang wrote:"For many Tennessee fans, the Heupel hire is the next step in coming to grips with what the program is. They’ve ignored a dozen years of evidence that the Vols are just another program—instead believing in Santa Gruden, and believing that hiring coaches like Greg Schiano and Dave Doeren was beneath them. Fact is, this is a tough sell at present.

James Franklin wasn’t leaving the job security of Penn State for Tennessee, no matter how much money White was rumored to be offering. P.J. Fleck? Please. SMU coach Sonny Dykes isn’t leaving the state of Texas for a struggling program that has to battle Alabama, Georgia and Florida every season. And offensive coordinator Tony Elliott wasn’t going to depart the rock-solid reliability of Clemson for Rocky Top." https://www.si.com/college/2021/01/27/t ... pel-future

Harsh words for Tennessee! How the mighty have fallen. You love to see it. Great to see SMU finally getting some respect from the national media.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:04 pm

mustangxc wrote:Harsh words for Tennessee! How the mighty have fallen. You love to see it.

P5 schools are learning what G5 schools have known for a long time. Your HC position isn't that attractive and your dream list is just a dream. The number of schools universally desirable can be counted on one hand. Everyone else has to accept reality and find the best fit for their situation.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby AustinPerson » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:40 am

Sonny Dykes' next move will be to head up an NFL team, not another college team.

He had all the "fun" he wanted at Cal. No thanks.
AustinPerson
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football