PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:55 pm

I have mixed feelings about Jank. Have to credit him for bringing us Nic Moore and Kendric Davis and has a PG recruit in Zhuric Phelps that might turn out to be a player and who actually has the "length" at 6'3" that LB always looked for. Coming out of what was a pretty harsh probation, he's actually assembled a pretty nice roster but we just didn't get to see the full potential of this year's team with the late season interruption. We certainly weren't alone and only have to look as far as Duke and Kentucky as programs that were hurt by the Covid chaos and never really came together.

Regardless of whether Jank is retained or we go into next year with a new staff, there could be a huge challenge in building next year's roster. I'm assuming there will be several holes to fill and while I would be thrilled to see Davis & Hunt come back, I certainly don't expect it. I would be surprised if any combination of Chargois, Jasey & Jolly decide to take advantage of another year of eligibility and decide to play at SMU and continue their educations. As Jank said in his post game interview, he would encourage anyone who has a chance to make a lot of money playing professionally to go for it but I'm not sure any of our guys are in a position to do that. Kendric would likely have to follow the path Nic Moore has taken and play overseas. Probably the same for anyone else who might decide to play professionally.

Players all over college basketball are getting an opportunity to stay in school for another year and this should be a wild year in the transfer portal because of that. It's going to be an interesting off season, that's for sure. I feel the same way I did last year and unless SMU could make a splash hire who could really upgrade recruiting, we probably can't expect much more than what Jank has delivered. Watching Iona taking on Alabama, I wish we had gone after Pitino last year but I just don't see another LB out there for SMU.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:27 pm

You probably don't have to worry as our alums aren't willing to foot the bill for his buyout and replacement. The only reason I understand him coming back is we didn't get rid of him after the previous seasons and so why would we get rid of him at the conclusion of his second best season as Head Coach?
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:06 am

mustangxc wrote:...so why would we get rid of him at the conclusion of his second best season as Head Coach?

Because his "second best" season wasn't really that good.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby bubba pony » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 am

doesn't his contract expire this year (2021)? if so, no need to worry about a buyout. if smu extends his contract say 1 year because of covid, maybe not a bad deal. who is going to hire him away from smu at his salary?
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:05 am

CA Mustang wrote:
mustangxc wrote:...so why would we get rid of him at the conclusion of his second best season as Head Coach?

Because his "second best" season wasn't really that good.

Yes, but we already tolerated losing seasons, seasons that ended in huge disappointment, atrocious losses, and long losing streaks. At least this season ended in the NIT. How many seasons have we had with a better result going back to 1994? 2014, 2015, 2017. 2000 was basically the same. In fact, Mike Dement was allowed a slow decline following that lone NIT appearance with records of 18-12, 15-14, 17-13 and then 10-15 until he was fired before the end of the 2003-04 season. Mediocrity is synonymous with SMU so why change now?
mustangxc

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby geezerdonk » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:40 pm

When mediocrity is the goal; achieving it is viewed as success. The current head coach is the apotheosis of mediocrity so will likely keep his position indefinitely.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:10 pm

What evidence do we have that we are content with mediocrity?
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:19 pm

The last 30+ years of football and basketball not enough for you?
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:14 pm

mustangxc wrote:Yes, but we already tolerated losing seasons, seasons that ended in huge disappointment, atrocious losses, and long losing streaks. At least this season ended in the NIT.

And there were no disappointments this year? Sorry, but losing in the first round of the NIT doesn't clear the threshold for a "good" season.

mustangxc wrote:The last 30+ years of football and basketball not enough for you?

The past is dead; the present and future are what's important. What was accepted 20+ years ago isn't relevant to making decisions today.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:42 pm

Any team that endured a program pause (or more than one) and still made the postseason has no reason to be too upset. Several players got covid. Jolly said he had it twice.
Not calling this a great season, but given the circumstances, not horrible, either. Call it a mulligan.
I'm more interested to see how many players we recognize on next year's roster.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Thumper wrote:Any team that endured a program pause (or more than one) and still made the postseason has no reason to be too upset. Several players got covid. Jolly said he had it twice.
Not calling this a great season, but given the circumstances, not horrible, either. Call it a mulligan.
I'm more interested to see how many players we recognize on next year's roster.

Agreed. Just a crazy year. Have to feel for VCU earning an invite and then basically getting Covid DQ'd. So many high seeds advancing and more upsets than usual. No Kentucky, no Duke. Might have to put an asterisk by this year's champion(s). Clearly this off season is going to be critical in terms of what direction SMU basketball might be headed.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyte » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:15 am

I haven't seen where Jank has been fired yet. If so, ignore. But if true, does this portend that his job might be safe for one more year? Wouldn't he have been fired and a job search underway if his job has been in jeopardy?
ponyte

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:24 am

ponyte wrote:I haven't seen where Jank has been fired yet. If so, ignore. But if true, does this portend that his job might be safe for one more year? Wouldn't he have been fired and a job search underway if his job has been in jeopardy?

I think most of us assume Jank will be back. The real question is what next year's roster might look like.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 pm

of course he will be back. our mental hernia of an AD would not dare to try and be anything more than mediocre (at best).
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 pm

We might not be "big time" but Pitino saw 1st hand what Moody and SMU can be

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... long-term/
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball