PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mass exodus?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mass exodus?

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:That is a pretty big indictment on our lack of accomplishments if we are counting receiving votes as being ranked.

Success doesn't happen overnight. We're winning again. We're spending weeks at a time ranked. We're recruiting better than we have since the days of players being on payroll. We're one of the top spots for talented transfers. Our student athletes are getting drafted again (potentially three this year who all transferred in), and when they don't are getting good jobs. It is an inarguable fact that we are doing better in all facets of the most important sport than we have in 35 or so years. Are we where we want to be, or even close to our ceiling? No, but were a heck of a lot closer and getting closer rapidly.

No, but it also doesn't take 30+ years or even 7 years. Six seasons have already gone by since the June Jones regime and this is Sonny's 4th season. It's time to put up or shut up. Jankovich gets plenty of vitriol from our fans when our football and basketball programs are comparable. If anything basketball has done more than football as recently as this past season where we landed in a 16 team NIT after finishing 4th in the conference vs the Frisco Bowl for football after finishing 5th in the conference. Art Briles had Baylor winning the Big XII his sixth season following an atrocious state of affairs when he inherited the program. I don't think anyone expects this team to win the conference championship and land in a NY6 Bowl this season but maybe I'm wrong.

ponyboy wrote:
mustangxc wrote:That is a pretty big indictment on our lack of accomplishments if we are counting receiving votes as being ranked.

You’re playing games. Do you or do you not like what Sonny Dykes is doing? He’s had us ranked —
RANKED, not RV — 20 out of 26 possible weeks the last two seasons. He’s killed it on the trail with both high school and transfer recruits. He’s an excellent face of the program and loves being here. I honestly don’t know what else you could expect.

Sonny has outperformed every other football coach we have had since the DP but the bar is extraordinarily low. He has unquestionably improved recruiting and led us to our best results but we are still a ways away from winning this conference. I really don't see that happening this season and probably not next year either.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:34 pm

The bar is top 25. Sonny’s nailing it. You lose.
ponyboy

Postby CJPONY16 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 pm

mustangxc wrote:
CJPONY16 wrote:

Success doesn't happen overnight. We're winning again. We're spending weeks at a time ranked. We're recruiting better than we have since the days of players being on payroll. We're one of the top spots for talented transfers. Our student athletes are getting drafted again (potentially three this year who all transferred in), and when they don't are getting good jobs. It is an inarguable fact that we are doing better in all facets of the most important sport than we have in 35 or so years. Are we where we want to be, or even close to our ceiling? No, but were a heck of a lot closer and getting closer rapidly.

No, but it also doesn't take 30+ years or even 7 years. Six seasons have already gone by since the June Jones regime and this is Sonny's 4th season. It's time to put up or shut up. Jankovich gets plenty of vitriol from our fans when our football and basketball programs are comparable. If anything basketball has done more than football as recently as this past season where we landed in a 16 team NIT after finishing 4th in the conference vs the Frisco Bowl for football after finishing 5th in the conference. Art Briles had Baylor winning the Big XII his sixth season following an atrocious state of affairs when he inherited the program. I don't think anyone expects this team to win the conference championship and land in a NY6 Bowl this season but maybe I'm wrong.

ponyboy wrote:

You’re playing games. Do you or do you not like what Sonny Dykes is doing? He’s had us ranked —
RANKED, not RV — 20 out of 26 possible weeks the last two seasons. He’s killed it on the trail with both high school and transfer recruits. He’s an excellent face of the program and loves being here. I honestly don’t know what else you could expect.

Sonny has outperformed every other football coach we have had since the DP but the bar is extraordinarily low. He has unquestionably improved recruiting and led us to our best results but we are still a ways away from winning this conference. I really don't see that happening this season and probably not next year either.

You're right. 6 season have gone by since June essentially burned everything to the ground, then chad threw a bandaid over bullet hole. Football and basketball really aren't comparable, but lets try. Jank made it to the NIT because he was left out of the 64 team NCAA tournament. SMU basketballs NET ranking was 59. SMU Footballs ranking was 39 from CBS and 37 in the coaches poll. Sonny has the program trending up, not so much for Jank. So it took Briles 6 years at Baylor, but its just unacceptable that Sonny is only competing for a chance at a conference champion deep into Nov every year? That makes no sense. You don't think anyone expects this team to win the conference championship and land in a NY6 Bowl this season? Then why are you complaining? You're all over the place.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:12 pm

ponyboy wrote:The bar is top 25. Sonny’s nailing it. You lose.

We haven't finished top 25 in the polls, computers, or recruiting rankings so by your standard we are failing. You lost with your own rules! :lol:
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:You're right. 6 season have gone by since June essentially burned everything to the ground, then chad threw a bandaid over bullet hole. Football and basketball really aren't comparable, but lets try. Jank made it to the NIT because he was left out of the 64 team NCAA tournament. SMU basketballs NET ranking was 59. SMU Footballs ranking was 39 from CBS and 37 in the coaches poll. Sonny has the program trending up, not so much for Jank. So it took Briles 6 years at Baylor, but its just unacceptable that Sonny is only competing for a chance at a conference champion deep into Nov every year? That makes no sense. You don't think anyone expects this team to win the conference championship and land in a NY6 Bowl this season? Then why are you complaining? You're all over the place.

We are in the upper 1/3 if not 1/4 of college basketball teams. We are in the middle 1/2 of FBS teams. Sonny didn't inherit garbage his first year so we really are starting our 7th year of the rebuild. Do you predict a conference championship for the football team this year? I don't see it but maybe I'm wrong. We are definitely trending in the right direction in terms of recruiting but are still what is it 2.5 seasons away?
mustangxc

Postby mtrout » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 pm

Football finished #72 on Sagarin this season.

We'll never realize our full potential if we already think we're awesome.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri May 14, 2021 8:07 am

According to 247 Sports, it looks like Everett Ray will be joining Charles Smith IV at ODU. I don't see the Memphis Doug to Prairie View confirmed yet and still don't see Agunanne on the incoming list

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Seaso ... ferPortal/
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri May 14, 2021 12:17 pm

mtrout wrote:Football finished #72 on Sagarin this season.

We'll never realize our full potential if we already think we're awesome.

Our 17 wins the last two seasons are the most since 83-84. Almost 40 years. Success is relative.

The progress hasn't stopped. We aren't at the peak. It is important to keep going. But it is also important to recognize how far we have come.

Regarding basketball, we are on our only consistent run of winning basketball since Bliss. Maybe even Doc Hayes. We aren't where we want to be, but we also aren't where we were.

Jank has a lot of issues, and we don't like the lack of discipline. I thought he should have been gone by now.

At the same time, he has rebuilt the roster in a way that nobody saw coming, and even though I thought he should be removed, I can give him credit for that.

This is might be controversial to some, but winning a good conference is HARD. Every year, there is a group of teams that have a shot of winning conference, and a larger group of teams that don't. The winners always have players that surprise and stave off injuries. But you at least want to be in that group that has a shot going into the season. We were in the mix in both sports last year.

Can I guarantee that we will win conference in football in 2021? No. But are we in the group of teams that has a shot? Absolutely.

Can I guarantee that we will win conference in basketball in 2021? No. But are we in the group of teams that has a shot? Surprisingly, absolutely. And if they don't compete, Jank is gone, it is really simple.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri May 14, 2021 1:54 pm

JasonB wrote:This is might be controversial to some, but winning a good conference is HARD. Every year, there is a group of teams that have a shot of winning conference, and a larger group of teams that don't. The winners always have players that surprise and stave off injuries. But you at least want to be in that group that has a shot going into the season. We were in the mix in both sports last year.

Can I guarantee that we will win conference in football in 2021? No. But are we in the group of teams that has a shot? Absolutely.

Can I guarantee that we will win conference in basketball in 2021? No. But are we in the group of teams that has a shot? Surprisingly, absolutely. And if they don't compete, Jank is gone, it is really simple.

This is a great point. We have to always remember our stated goal is to compete for conference championships and both big programs appear to be in that position right now.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri May 14, 2021 1:55 pm

Sagarin is biased toward the big boys. Again, the best indication of how things have changed, in addition to what Jason and Freiburger say above, is the stat that we’ve been ranked 20 out of 26 possible weeks the last two seasons. I couldn’t imagine that level of success when we hired Sonny.
ponyboy

Postby CA Mustang » Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 pm

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri May 14, 2021 11:14 pm

CA Mustang wrote:https://twitter.com/BillyEmbody/status/1393388439651954691

Ouch. Tristan Clark effect?
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat May 15, 2021 10:04 am

Huge blow for the team. I'm gutted.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Sat May 15, 2021 12:08 pm

Anei showed flashes last year, but was often lost. I did think he’d take a step or two this year, but while this hurts, it’s not the end of the world. Losing KD would have gutted me.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Sat May 15, 2021 12:17 pm

I'd rather lose Bandoumel than Anei. We have scoring guards aplenty. We don't have serviceable bigs. I hope we can land one from the portal as that is a huge need!
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball